No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitcoin mining is the most stupid waste of resources I've ever seen. And I've seen an episode of "Gogglebox".

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      A real indicator of how fragile the whole cryptocurrency thing is. It's largely nonsense of assigning value to basically nothing (before people jump in - yes, normal currency shares the same issues) but the whim of a single person can alter the trajectory of the value.
      It's announcements like that which could topple the whole thing. Value dropped 17% overnight. Perhaps suddenly it's no longer possible to make money from mining. Mining ceases. Bitcoin collapses.
      [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] posted some interesting links about the future of ownership and proof of work in the chat channel. Currencies that bypass the silicon arms race for mining will be the only long term winners surely? Note: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Comment

Evidence appears to be growing that the Indian variant is more transmittable than the Kent variant that caused the second wave.

Comment

Whatever Musk's play is here (given he's still pushing another daft meme cryptocurrency), Tesla bought $1b+ of bitcoin, and there is no way they did not know about the environmental concern before.

Also who wants to bet that 'green' alternatives are actually, you know, not? Chia's one that came to my attention this week, that's causing a new new type of hardware shortage, proving to wreck SSDs in as little as six weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Currencies that bypass the silicon arms race for mining will be the only long term winners surely? Note: I have no idea what I'm talking about.
            This ^^^^

Blockchain is cool. Mining is ****ing stupid and needs to be stopped

Comment

All currencies, unless there’s something behind it to back it, are absolute made up nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...inister-admits
                A Minister has warned that the rising number of Indian variant cases may mean the 21 June restrictions lifting being delayed, something that might matter if all the meaningful ones including hugging weren't shot to hell come Monday anyway.
                But Johnson said it's irreversible. He said it. With words.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  Whatever Musk's play is here (given he's still pushing another daft meme cryptocurrency), Tesla bought $1b+ of bitcoin, and there is no way they did not know about the environmental concern before.
                  100%. And you can be pretty sure he is not making a loss on this change.

Comment

Being cross-examined now, David Cameron says his secret lobbying was all done with the greater public interest in mind to help reverse the national economic downturn, so that's that all cleared up. What a trouper!

Comment

Good old Dave!

Comment

Cameron is sweating like a pig and if there's anyone who knows how sweaty a pig can get, it's him.

Love QC.

Comment

Can I play Devil's Advocate here, for a sec? Just because I've thought this for a while, and I suspect I'm wrong, but I want to voice the thought and see if someone can shoot it down.

When the government makes deals with and contractor or company for anything, obviously they have to deal with their CEOs and KAMs and what-have-you. But my understanding is that most of the people serving as MPs come from narrow range of backgrounds; businesspeople, lawyers and so on.

I guess what I'm asking in a roundabout way is this... Recently, a we've seen many incidents where the government gives a contract, and people cry sleaze because they play six-steps-of-Kevin-Bacon to show how the owner of that company is Michael Gove's university roommate or something. But if you were to check all of the possible choices for a contract, would you not find that all of them have connections to cabinet members, because they just move in the same circles?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Can I play Devil's Advocate here, for a sec?
                            The devil needs no advocates. He's in power. Advocate for those who need it more.

Comment

• It's not six steps, it's about two.
                              • They're not going through the correct channels.
                              • The companies aren't experienced in their contracts (PPE etc.)
                              • Companies that are experienced are being ignored.
                              • Companies are months old, yet get contracts.
                              • VIP WhatsApp chats with MPs get you to the top of the queue.
                              • They're not delivering what they've been paid for.
                              • Or they're delivering sub-standard equipment.
                              • Nobody is getting penalised for non-delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                Genocidal Bosnian-Serb maniac Radovan Karadzic coming to a UK jail. Just one more reason to be proud to be British, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab actually said.

The 75-year-old was convicted in 2016 of genocide during the conflict in the former Yugoslavia.

In your face, Europe! All your war criminals are belong to us!
                                At least it's easier for Tony to visit, they could swap stories.

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                All currencies, unless there’s something behind it to back it, are absolute made up nonsense.
                                Like the Euro....

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                Being cross-examined now, David Cameron says his secret lobbying was all done with the greater public interest in mind to help reverse the national economic downturn, so that's that all cleared up. What a trouper!
                                Bollocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X