• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few bits.

Comment

GTI Club

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        It is that. Please post a pic if/when you get it as I’ve been mulling over getting a second 2.4Ghz Megadrive pad… not that I’ve had any mates over for 2p action thanks to lockdown.
        Just got mine through the post.

It's the same case that you get from any other retailer, don't know why Sega said exclusive! Eitherway, nice controller and plays well with my PC at the mo. Looking forward to using it more!

Comment

I've got a package of junk arriving from Japan, but I thought I'd cherry-pick this last minute addition as something else to shove in the box before it reached the limit for cheap air mail. It's even sealed, which is probably a first for me with Saturn games.

Despite the enormous and sustained popularity of the PC version, this Japanese-exclusive Saturn port has almost no presence on the Internet and I'm genuinely curious as to who even handled the port. I remember seeing the PS1 version in "Whizz Kids" in Wakefield (anyone remember that place?) but I didn't know the Saturn one even existed until a few years ago.

Obviously it's in Japanese, but I know this game like the back of my hand so it probably won't be an issue. It's more of a curio than anything else for me. Might do a video of it though.

Comment

Crackers that's genuinley interesting. Might be Microprose themselves they did support Japanese formats like FM Towns.

Comment

You'd be surprised at just how many PC games are exclusive to the Japanese Saturn. There's just so many.

Comment

I wonder if it's compatible with the mouse - I would assume so.

Comment

A few local the price is nice pick ups from the same seller. Used to see him down the local carboot quite the surprise when he opened the door. Moonwalker is creeping good to get it in for non silly burgers. Complete of course, not a blue box MD title in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    I wonder if it's compatible with the mouse - I would assume so.
                    Apparently not, which was noted as a bad point in the review in Sega Saturn Magazine (the Japanese one). The PS1 port did though, plus a 3D mode.

There's a few PC ports I've seen for the Saturn, but Transport Tycoon seems like an anomaly just for being a British game that isn't particularly well-known there. It did get an official release there on the PC (along with Deluxe), but didn't seem to be that successful. Curious as to how/who it was ported - the original was written in assembly code so it it's going to be a coin toss as to whether it's a nice well-optimised port or a quick and dirty mess. I'm going to guess the latter.

Wondering what it'll be like for game saves - I had the Saturn version of SimCity 2000 back in the day before I had a proper PC and a single save would take up almost the entire internal memory from what I remember. According to a forum post, the PS1 version of TT takes up an entire memory card. The Saturn internal memory is a quarter of that, so unless it has some neat compression or something I suspect the backup cartridge becomes mandatory.

Comment

Few cheapies, Pacland for 20 squids unmissable in this age, really would like to go PCE Namco complete one day, Raiden in expanding the TATE mode repertoir.

Comment

Bought a bunch of stuff recently.

After playing through Blue Stinger and Dino Crisis 2 recently I wanted another similar game I always wanted to play, Chase the Express. Rockman Dash was a drunk purchase as I'll want to play the English ROM but whatevs. Been after Onimusha Dawn of Dreams for a while. I tried Brahma Force ages ago on Japanese PSN as Beltlogger 9. I enjoyed it but didn't want to play through it in Japanese. I ddin't realised it got localised until I saw an article last week so grabbed it.

Had a bunch of Dreamcast games off dyer on the forum and grbabed Dynamite Deka 2 off ebay. Also got some GameCube games and two kind of retro games, FF8 remaster as a present from Ms. Chopemon and Raiden 4 X Mikado.

Comment

I didn’t even know Final Fantasy 8 Remastered got a physical release, nice.

Comment

Yeah that one only came out within the last year. You can also get a bundle with 7 and 8 on Switch.

Comment

New CMVS

Comment

Have not owned one of these since I sold my last one to wakka! But I figured with how impressed I have been with the xStation recently I would look into a similar solution for the Saturn, so I picked up a Fenrir. It works basically the same, hard to fault it. Modified the AV port with the usual mod to make NTSC units compatible with the OEM PAL SCART but that is it.

Comment

Working...
                                X