Retro Arena: Random Dreamcast Games

Power Stone - Capcom - 1999

ChuChu Rocket! - Sega - 1999

Space Channel 5 - Sega - 1999

Power Stone 2 - Capcom - 2000

Cannon Spike - Capcom - 2000

Ikaruga - Treasure/ESP - 2001

Which one do you like the most?

At the time I liked the two Powerstone games best, but now I like Space Channel 5 best.

Comment

This grouping makes no sense Leon!

Comment

The first powerstone and cannon spike are fantastic games and I play them fairly regularly.

Comment

I dislike Ikaruga almost as much as I loath Silvergun.

Power Stone absolutely blew me away when I first saw it running, it’s a fantastic game still to this day. The sequel isn’t quite as tight, but the four player is great fun. I really can’t understand why Capcom haven’t brought both games to PSN.

I remember quite liking Cannon/Gun Spike, very short but a great shooter.

Comment

Ikaruga is the game I've played by far the most from that list, although once I started trying to chain, it started to lose its appeal. There's just too much thinking for a shmup!

I always have a soft spot for Space Channel 5, though I think the second game improved on it in almost every way. The first game plays a bit better on the PS2 as well. Even when my Dreamcast was shiny and new, the characters and the FMV backgrounds would get slightly out of sync. I seem to remember the frame rate being a bit better on the PS2.

I've always enjoyed Powerstone, although haven't played it seriously.

Comment

Power Stone is a great laugh, Cannon Spike was great back in the day (not played it for a LONG time), Ikaruga I still play today, Space Channel 5 and the Chu Chu Rocket are not my kind of game.

Comment

A right mixed bag that lot but it shows some of the depth of the Dreamcasts library. All good games there but I still play Space Channel 5, Cannon Spike and Ikaruga to this day.
                Cannon Spike is a real gem IMHO. It looks great, controls well and is a reasonable challenge.
                If you don't fall for the appeal of SC5 I suggest you check for a pulse. The catchy tunes and quasi futuristic style of the art is a winning combination.
                And Ikaruga is surely the most bullet infested puzzle game of all time. Treat the game as a straight shooter and it's ok. Learning to chain properly isn't easy but is very satisfying. It's not too different from its forebear but at least it's only two colours this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  This grouping makes no sense Leon!
                  Just be happy I didn't include Fighting Force 2. The title does say "random games", but I did make sure to choose a bunch of titles that are either considered to be good or very good.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  The first powerstone and cannon spike are fantastic games and I play them fairly regularly.
                  Both titles I go back to regularly when I have a Dreamcast set up. I was playing Cannon Spike the other day and it's still a nice looking, fun game. I like the diverse range of characters to choose from.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Power Stone absolutely blew me away when I first saw it running, it’s a fantastic game still to this day. The sequel isn’t quite as tight, but the four player is great fun. I really can’t understand why Capcom haven’t brought both games to PSN.
                  Yeah, Power Stone was really stunning back in '99. I like the sequel, as it offers a nice alternative to the first game. Capcom did put both games on the PSP, but not on the PS or Xbox yet.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  I remember quite liking Cannon/Gun Spike, very short but a great shooter.
                  I like how it offers something different next to other shooters for the system. It's a fun concept that keeps me coming back for more.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                  Ikaruga is the game I've played by far the most from that list, although once I started trying to chain, it started to lose its appeal. There's just too much thinking for a shmup!
                  Having to think too much was a criticism when the game was tested in Japan. But lots of people really liked it back in the day, so it gained a cult following which led to the game being ported to the GameCube. I personally prefer RSG, but Ikaruga is definitely a good game that I go back to now and then.

Originally posted by SeñorVita View Post
                  , Cannon Spike was great back in the day (not played it for a LONG time), .
                  It's still a really nice game to play through, so you should go back to it asap.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  A right mixed bag that lot but it shows some of the depth of the Dreamcasts library.
                  Yeah, there is a method to my madness. I thought it would be interesting to pit a few popular DC games against each other.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Cannon Spike is a real gem IMHO. It looks great, controls well and is a reasonable challenge.
                  I think this thread might inspire people to go back to it. It really is something special.

Comment

Didn't have Cannon Spike or Powerstone 2, Space Channel 5 on that list is best for me followed by Chu Chu Rocket then Ikaruga. Shmups are my favourite genre but I'm not into bullet hell or chaining nonsense.
                    Couldn't get into Powerstone at all sorry to say.

Comment

I haven’t played Cannon Spike but have played all the others. Space Channel 5 I mostly love BUT I found the input never felt like it matched my timing and eventually I had to form a slight off rhythm to get through it. As you can imagine, that affects my experience with it. Chu Chu was fun but I never stuck with it. Ikaruga seemed great at what it is but I’m not big into those kinds of shooters.

So for me the standouts here are the Power Stone games and they are both fantastic in their own right. One thing I love about them is that they both justify their existence - 2 did not render 1 redundant because it’s quite a different game. 2 is really great fun and it’s kind of crazy but I feel that the first is the better fighter. It has more strategy and skill IMO and I always enjoy going back to it. It feels criminal that this series didn’t continue.

Comment

Powerstone 2, easily, which for me is up there with the original Worms as one of the greatest party games of all time. Those who prefer the first, I can kind of see their point as the single player mode is a purer experience, but I can only surmise they haven’t spent a good deal of time playing it with three mates. We used to play all against all or 2 vs 2 teams and it had us in tears when using some of the whackier weapons like the bugle or tennis racquet. The “make-a-weapon” part added a bit of depth and longevity to it as well. Brilliant, brilliant game which built on the excellent original in a great number of ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          Couldn't get into Powerstone at all sorry to say.
                          Just run around chucking things at your opponent trying to wear down their energy. It's fun once you get used to how it plays and develop tactics.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Space Channel 5 I mostly love BUT I found the input never felt like it matched my timing and eventually I had to form a slight off rhythm to get through it.
                          I have only played it a bit, but thought the artistic design was really nice. Other people have said the timing is off a bit, so that really would spoil a rhythm based game.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          One thing I love about them is that they both justify their existence - 2 did not render 1 redundant because it’s quite a different game. 2 is really great fun and it’s kind of crazy but I feel that the first is the better fighter. It has more strategy and skill IMO and I always enjoy going back to it. It feels criminal that this series didn’t continue.
                          Yeah, Capcom delivered a more manic party sort of game with the sequel. The first game is a more pure 1-on-1 fighter, despite still being quite manic and over the top. I like both, but I know opinion varies wildly.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          but I can only surmise they haven’t spent a good deal of time playing it with three mates. We used to play all against all or 2 vs 2 teams and it had us in tears when using some of the whackier weapons like the bugle or tennis racquet. The “make-a-weapon” part added a bit of depth and longevity to it as well. Brilliant, brilliant game which built on the excellent original in a great number of ways.
                          Yeah, must be really fun with 3 other people. I've played it with one other person - and it's better than solo play. It's definitely a game you get out when you have a group of people who appreciate games that offer over the top mayhem.

Comment

Power Stone 2, very easy win there with only Ikaruga proving a real challenge.
                            Power Stone 1 is solid but Cannon Spike was nothing more than fan service, shallow as a puddle. I never cared for Chu Chu Rocket much whilst I have a soft spot for Space Channel 5 though the gameplay itself was always pretty ropey.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              Cannon Spike was nothing more than fan service, shallow as a puddle.
                              It's definitely worth playing though. I like the range of characters to choose from, the graphics are nice throughout, and it has a fun vibe about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X