Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1977

Elvis bites the big one and Jimmy Carter takes the White House which means it's...

Vote for your favourite films of 1977 and discuss the years movies in general
    The Sentinel
    0%
    Cross of Iron
    0%
    Fun with Dick and Jane
    0%
    Twilight's Last Gleaming
    0%
    Wizards
    0%
    Slap Shot
    0%
    Tentacles
    0%
    Mr. Billion
    0%
    Islands in the Stream
    0%
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    0%
    Black Sunday
    0%
    Airport 77
    0%
    Eraserhead
    0%
    The American Friend
    0%
    The Domino Principle
    0%
    The Eagle Has Landed
    0%
    Audrey Rose
    0%
    Demon Seed
    0%
    3 Women
    0%
    Annie Hall
    0%
    The Car
    0%
    The Greatest
    0%
    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    0%
    Smokey and the Bandit
    0%
    Fraternity Row
    0%
    Crossed Swords
    0%
    A Bridge Too Far
    0%
    Exorcist II: The Heretic
    0%
    New York, New York
    0%
    Sorcerer
    0%
    The Rescuers
    0%
    Greased Lightning
    0%
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    0%
    The Island of Dr Moreau
    0%
    I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
    0%
    The Deep
    0%
    The Hills Have Eyes
    0%
    Grand Theft Auto
    0%
    Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
    0%
    Suspiria
    0%
    Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown
    0%
    Bobby Deerfield
    0%
    A Little Night Music
    0%
    A Piece of the Action
    0%
    Looking for Mr Goodbar
    0%
    Starship Invasions
    0%
    Damnation Alley
    0%
    Heroes
    0%
    First Love
    0%
    Pete's Dragon
    0%
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    0%
    Semi-Tough
    0%
    Saturday Night Fever
    0%
    The Gauntlet
    0%
    ABBA: The Movie
    0%
    Candleshoe
    0%
    The Choirboys
    0%
    High Anxiety
    0%

At one stage my favourite would have been An New Hope ... but the sheen has dulled on Star Wars.

Suspiria gets a vote for being utterly amazing. One of the most original horror films of all time.

But my ultimate fave is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Spielberg's films just get better and better every time I see them. I hadn't seen Close Encounters since I was a kid and watching it again last year I hadn't realised how much pain Roy and his family go through. So much emotion in the film ... and an ending that doesn't cop out one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      But my ultimate fave is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Spielberg's films just get better and better every time I see them. I hadn't seen Close Encounters since I was a kid and watching it again last year I hadn't realised how much pain Roy and his family go through. So much emotion in the film ... and an ending that doesn't cop out one bit.
      That's really interesting to hear, because I watched it fairly recently and came away enjoying it less because I just couldn't get over Roy abandoning his family. Once they leave about halfway through, he's free to carry on making models of mountains without anyone hassling him.

It's something Spielberg has addressed, saying he didn't have kids at the time and would write it differently after becoming a father, but it's just crazy how they're not mentioned again and he doesn't even hesitate at the end of the film.

I'll have a think about the list, but in the meantime, here's the amazing "Bond '77" played live:

Comment

For me, it's going to be "The Spy Who Loved Me".

I love TMWTGGun, but this, for me, is a perfect Bond, with so many great elements.
        The opening parachute stunt, ace gadgets (the watch), the locations, the terrifying henchman (Jaws was really scary in the Egyptian sections), ridiculous underwater base, megalomaniacal bad guy, gorgeous yet sassy Bond girl and that Lotus Esprit chase.

Comment

Paid for itself just for this scene:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            That's really interesting to hear, because I watched it fairly recently and came away enjoying it less because I just couldn't get over Roy abandoning his family. Once they leave about halfway through, he's free to carry on making models of mountains without anyone hassling him.
            But he's being driven by something beyond our comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

Golden

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                But he's being driven by something beyond our comprehension.
                Pffft, you try using that excuse on your missus when you roll in steaming. Good luck with that.

Comment

Pffft, you try using that excuse on your missus when you roll in steaming. Good luck with that.
                  (builds mashed potato boobs) This means something...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    That's not the end of the beginning. The end of the beginning goes like this: glang! Glanalangalangalangalangalang! Glanalang, langalangalanga, nobody does it better - and I'm a naked woman in silhouette with a gun, spinning round - Makes me feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it - ooh, bit of nipple - quite as good as you. Baby, you're the best. Da, da, da - and now a really big bounce right over and I land on my feet. Da, da, da, da, da, der. I wasn't looking, so now you found me... ooh, bit of bush, er - I tried to hide from your love life - and a woman swinging on a Luger, a giant Luger; ooh, look at that... Like heaven above me - and now another naked woman walking along the top of a gun, completely Billy Bollocks... The spy who loved me is keeping all my secrets safe tonight - and then one more big swing from the woman; legs go right up - ooh, what was that? Too late... Nobody does it half as good as you, baby you're the best!

To be fair, it is a blinding theme
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 04-11-2019, 12:56.

Comment

To be fair, it's no theme from Licence to Kill.

Comment

QC is your favourite film from every year just the Bond film?
                        [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION]

Yes, I agree, it's one of the things that I like about Close Encounters. It's an unusual element in what's ostensibly a family film, his abandonment of his own wife and children in this obsessive, irrational pursuit.

I've not seen as many films from this year, but the obvious highlight is Abba: The Movie.

I jest. I hadn't actually heard of Abba: The Movie. Looks like it's a Hard Day's Night type thing though.

For me it's between Close Encounters and Suspiria, both very original films which stand up well today.

Comment

For me, though it's often said, having reached 1977 and gone through the films that released up until this point it really truly is remarkable just how much impact in a small time Star Wars went on to have in changing movie tastes. Other than that film the main one, unexpectedly, that I recall is A Bridge Too Far

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            QC is your favourite film from every year just the Bond film?
                            It does look like it, but no.

70 - I didn't vote
                            71 - The Andromeda Strain
                            72 - Deliverance
                            73 - Enter The Dragon
                            74 - Golden Gun
                            75 - Jaws
                            76 - Precinct 13
                            77 - Spy Who Loved Me

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            Yes, I agree, it's one of the things that I like about Close Encounters. It's an unusual element in what's ostensibly a family film, his abandonment of his own wife and children in this obsessive, irrational pursuit.
                            I still think it's an amazing film that's a masterclass in storytelling and directing, it's just the abandonment stood out more to me than when I was a kid.

To be fair, I get hung up on the wrong things. As Roy tries to sneak to Devil's Tower, roadblocks stop him from driving any closer, so he abandons his car and sets off on foot.

I worry about what happens to the car. I mean, it's going to be a nightmare for the other drivers getting around it once the roads are opened again. I mean, does his estranged wife need that car? Maybe she needs to sell it now that her husband has disappeared and is no longer paying for half of the mortgage and has kids to feed.

Imagine if the car was stolen, then used in a bank robbery. Roy's wife was in the bank pleading not to have her house repossessed, and she got shot. Now the kids are orphans.

One of the kids, enraged at being orphaned, ends up in an orphanage, falls in with the wrong kids and starts a life of crime, climbing the ladder of organised crime, killing anyone that stands in their way to get to the top.

Another uses their hatred of aliens to join a military weapons group but ends up building a weapon that threatens the Earth, not extra terrestrials.

The other kid dies from a drug overdose. I can't remember how many kids they had, it seems like loads.

All of this because Roy left his car on the side of the road.

Comment

For me, it's going to be "The Spy Who Loved Me".

I love TMWTGGun, but this, for me, is a perfect Bond, with so many great elements.
                              The opening parachute stunt, ace gadgets (the watch), the locations, the terrifying henchman (Jaws was really scary in the Egyptian sections), ridiculous underwater base, megalomaniacal bad guy, gorgeous yet sassy Bond girl and that Lotus Esprit chase.

Quoted for truth.

A verrrrrrrry close tie betwixt this and SW. Two absolute MOVIE MEGABUSTERS that year, both movies proper rocked my world as a kid but I've always remembered how strange and funky and cool the soundtrack to TSWLM was, it stays with one. "Bond '77" FTW!!!

BTW, Suspiria's 1976, innit? It's a bit overrated, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X