Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Wait, what? What's going on in Kent?
    It's where the Eurotunnel is. So they plan to make it that any lorry driver that goes into Kent at all needs a special passport just to get into Kent. But apparently it's going to be enforced by ANPR cameras rather than a sandbags-and-guard-towers DMZ, North Korea style.

Comment

Ah! Thank you. I didn’t know it was where the Eurotunnel is. Seemed a bit random without that piece of information.

Comment

Let's make the tunnel like a mad max style endurance with gun turrets and barb wire. If a person or lorry makes it through then they can stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Let's make the tunnel like a mad max style endurance with gun turrets and barb wire. If a person or lorry makes it through then they can stay.

Comment

I just don't get Sunak's new job scheme - I've been trying to wrap my head around it for the last hour and I can't make sense of what scenario this is a viable option.

If you don't have the work for three people and you need to cut that down to one, it makes keeping three empoyees on doing a third each, more expensive to the employer than keeping one on working full time by 65%

I've been through several redundancy processes, and ultimately even though the humans making the decisions were sympathetic to the employees, ultimately it was about the bottom line and the viability of the business. So the employees were let go.

This scheme is such that it makes the government look like it's helping, but employers are unlikely to take them up on it. It definitely doesn't look like a scheme that will stop redundancies from happening to me.

Comment

Its only East Kent, barely anybody indigenous lives there now people just travel though it to get out as fast as possible. The remainder are just sheep, cattle, hop farms, fruit orchards serviced by bands of itinerant East Europeans. They'll feel right at home.

With the presence Dungeness nuclear power station the locals still left became irradiated zombies and cannibals years ago feeding off illegal immigrants, Canterbury pilgrims and anyone unlucky enough to break down there. Few people know this but Wrong Turn was originally set in East Kent.

I know all of this is true because I'm originally from West Kent, its why I left.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 24-09-2020, 15:26. Reason: typo

Comment

Name your district, Man-of-Kent!!

Comment

Sevenoaks. You? Let me guess: Gillingham or Chatham, perhaps Margate?

I think you meant Kentish Man (West of the Medway) as opposed to Man Of Kent (East of the Medway). I've always mixed that up but I've just checked Kent Online and that is what it says.

The Men Of Kent have always, apparently, looked down on us Kentish men as being just ordinary folk which dates back to Saxon times with the Medway as the border between the Jutes in the east and the Anglo-Saxons in the west.

But to be truthful I was actually born east of the Medway but bought up entirely west of it so I do have a foot in both camps. That gives me special rights.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 24-09-2020, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                    Its only East Kent, barely anybody indigenous lives there now people just travel though it to get out as fast as possible. The remainder are just sheep, cattle, hop farms, fruit orchards serviced by bands of itinerant East Europeans. They'll they'll feel right at home.

With the presence Dungeness nuclear power station the locals still left became irradiated zombies and cannibals years ago feeding off illegal immigrants, Canterbury pilgrims and anyone unlucky enough to break down there. Few people know this but Wrong Turn was originally set in East Kent.

I know all of this is true because I'm originally from West Kent, its why I left.
                    Stop being so Kentist.

I really like Folkestone and the surrounding areas.

Comment

The trouble with the Furlough scheme is that its supported jobs until they come back but the reality for most who are on furlough still is that the job isn't coming back. Businesses don't know if they'll ever get back to where they were so even paying 10% of a staff members pay is 10% they could end up having never needed to. To most companies if the role is needed in a years time they can just hire someone else from the ocean of unemployed. The scheme updates reek of the Tories knowing this and they're trying to softly get the public to get it in their heads as to what is coming.

Comment

This new job retention scheme only seems to be of any use to people with jobs that seem secure in the mid term. This isn’t going to stop a wave of redundancy in the future at all.

Comment

Everything is being done in tiny partial measures. Lockdown to stop the spread of the virus, only not really. Support for people to keep their jobs, only not really. A push to get people spending money again, only not really. Whoa, careful out there in the pubs guys, only not really. Not a single part of the process is committed to and that's why the results are poor every time. If any of our governments had done just the first one properly, we'd all be in a far better situation right now.

Comment

And spent the time when people were sticking to the lockdown getting track & trace working properly - yup, much better position right now as the base line would have been far far lower.

They still haven't published today's figures and the site isn't showing any data at all - guessing the update isn't going to be pretty today.

Here we go:

UK records 6,634 new coronavirus cases - highest daily total on record, assuming that the number of tests processed hasn't increased (which is unlikely), positive tests have now passed the 3% mark.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 24-09-2020, 16:53.

Comment

Meanwhile the Food Standards Agency and lots of other government bodies are allowed authorise secret crimes. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54274605

Obviously some voicing concerns. “ We are seriously concerned that the bill fails to expressly prohibit MI5 and other agencies from authorising crimes like torture, murder and sexual violence.” The Food Standards Agency can authorise these things now? The Gambling Commission? Immigration Services?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Meanwhile the Food Standards Agency and lots of other government bodies are allowed authorise secret crimes. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54274605

Obviously some voicing concerns. “ We are seriously concerned that the bill fails to expressly prohibit MI5 and other agencies from authorising crimes like torture, murder and sexual violence.” The Food Standards Agency can authorise these things now? The Gambling Commission? Immigration Services?
                                Eh.. What the living ****?

Comment

Working...
                                X