Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once Upon a time in yawn. What stink pile, wasn't an intersting scene until 2 hours in and even then it turned out a dull resolution. I keep getting duped by QT films, havnt seen a good one since Jackie Brown.

I enjoyed Brad Pitts performance and barely a stitch else.
    Last edited by Baseley09; 20-01-2020, 16:45.

Comment

A Nightmare On Elm Street - This was never a scary horror, but it was a great concept and had a villain who everyone talked about at school. Watching it now it's more of a nostalgia-fest than anything. Still enjoyable though. Standouts are the Tina/bedroom scene (remember seeing this bit on Barry Norman ) and the brilliant score. I might have a trudge through the sequels as I think I've only seen pt 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        A Nightmare On Elm Street - This was never a scary horror, but it was a great concept and had a villain who everyone talked about at school. Watching it now it's more of a nostalgia-fest than anything. Still enjoyable though. Standouts are the Tina/bedroom scene (remember seeing this bit on Barry Norman ) and the brilliant score. I might have a trudge through the sequels as I think I've only seen pt 3.
        2 is terrible. 3 is OK. 4/5 are terrible. Freddys dead is one of the worst films ever made.

Comment

I was hoping they'd maybe have a bit of late night trashy charm ... but that's pretty damning

Comment

2 is great but very different. 3 is great when you’re a teenager. 4 is pretty bad. 5 is terrible. And yes, Freddy’s Dead is one of the worst films every made. But New Nightmare is pretty good and then you get to watch Freedy vs Jason and that’s one of the best films ever made.

Comment

Watched The Siren, a film by the same director as They Look Like People (which I liked a couple of pages back). Not only the same director but the same cast! and the same low budget one location style! A bit weird. I like this one too though: large parts of it are dialogue free and there's a lot of meaningful staring, but this guy has something that appeals to me. It's the story of a dead woman who drowns people in a lake, but it's a love story too. 7 out of strange.

Comment

Zombieland 2. Against all expectations, this was a fantastic sequel. The credits scene is absolutely glorious!

Comment

Watched the original 1981 HALLOWEEN 2 the other night. My local video shop never had it in the 80s so I've somehow never seen it. And it was cack.

Best bit is a very nonchalant scene where a young guy in a Michael Myers-style mask gets crushed betwixt two cars (there is a glorious explosion, too) in a case of mistaken identity as the local cops n' Donald Pleasance chase the REAL Mike M.

Best bit in the film, by far, and their absolute nonchalance about mistakenly causing the death of a teen is hilarious. Unfortunately, it's the only good bit.

It's really quite a terrible movie, set in a hospital with seemingly one ambulance, about four staff, and a coupla patients. Most of the gore happens off-screen, the characters are awful and/or creepy (the porter/ambulance guy who's obsessed with protecting Jamie Lee) and, let's be frank, Donald Pleasance is ABSOLUTELY PISSED OFF HIS ROCKER in every scene he's in.

I can see your ruddy booze-face, Donald...

Comment

Bait - Superb British film that proves originality is alive and well. Haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it a couple of nights back. https://www.baitfilm.co.uk/

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 - I can see why it gets some stick. It had it's moments but that pool scene ... goodness me.

Comment

Went to see 1917 last night. It was very well made but pretty forgettable.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        It was very well made but pretty forgettable.
                        Like Dunkirk?

Comment

I can see why you'd say that but I liked Dunkirk. Much better film.

Comment

More of an event than a film, but I attended the first Movie Geek Live! show at the Midlands Art Centre last night.
                            Simon Brew (founder of Den of Geek) has been up to all sorts of movie-related stuff in 2019, like running the Film Stories magazine,website and podcast, Film Stories Jr magazine and writing the book "The Secret Life of Movies".

He saw all the events being held in London, like Mark Kermode's talks at the BFI, and wanted to start something in the Midlands.

It was a really great night with a lot of laughs as he dissected Superman III, looked at some movie news, did a Spectrum movie quiz and spoke to Mark Zammit and Simon Cox who both crowdfunded a film that they each wanted to make.

It was great to have something like this fairly local and I hope it keeps growing as it was a really fun night.

Comment

spectrum movie quiz?

Comment

Watched my old VHS tape of Remo Williams Unarmed And Dangerous. Miss the days when films like this were made. Crap, but so good.
                                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 23-01-2020, 11:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X