Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One arcade stick, multiple consoles. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One arcade stick, multiple consoles. Is it possible?

Yo,

I have a question about arcade sticks and my console setup. I have several consoles that I want to use an arcade stick on; Dreamcast, PS5 and Switch. I also have a PS1, PS2 and GC as part of the same setup but they are less important for this. Is there a way of making one arcade stick work on these different machines with various adapters? Like those Brook converters or anything?

I don't really want to have to buy a separate stick for each console. I will mainly use the stick for shmups and the odd fighting game on DC. I currently have a 360 Hori EX2. Are there a variety of USB adapters that can make that work on different machines? I'm happy to buy one new stick if I have to. Can the DC stick work with modern consoles with the right converter? I was thinking about the 8bitdo one but it doesn't have PS compatibility and I'm not sure if the DC would recognise it through a converter.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge, it'd be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I have a Titan One adapter which works with pretty much everything that has USB, although I never tested Switch sticks on PS4/XBO and viceversa. Probably it needs a firmware update for that.
    I don't know about old consoles without USB though, never tried any USB-to-console adapter.

Comment

I got a Brook Wingman SD which works brilliantly with every stick I tried on both DC and Saturn. I then got the Brook PS2 one and it’s not worked with a single fight stick I tried. Tried firmware updates and the lot, but all I can get to work on it are the controllers so I’d be careful going down the Brook route, they’re also not cheap.

Comment

I've long thought it queer that sticks have limited compatibility; that, say for example, you wanted to use a Hori RAP stick with your Switch, Xbox and PlayStation, then you would have to buy 3 separate sticks. It's absurd. I wonder what the reasoning is?

Comment

Non-agreement on protocol basically. USB controllers on multiple systems all evolved in parallel.

Comment

Why not include the technology used in controller adaptors (Mayflash Magic for example) in their sticks? If a third party can get a Switch, or Xbox, or PlayStation platform specific stick working on all platforms then why can't stick manufacturers manage it?

Comment

Licensing shiz probably.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                Licensing shiz probably.
                Yep. Console manufacturers won't let them. Some require console specific tech but I think it comes down more to money. If you use an Xbox stick on your PS4, you are playing with a controller that hasn't been licensed for the system and thus Sony never got their cut.

Stupid old fashioned nonsense.

Anyway, cheers for the replies pals!

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                  Why not include the technology used in controller adaptors (Mayflash Magic for example) in their sticks? If a third party can get a Switch, or Xbox, or PlayStation platform specific stick working on all platforms then why can't stick manufacturers manage it?
                  Mayflash uses unofficial/roundabout ways to work. A Magic adapter in Switch mode pretends to be an official Hori Pokemon controller. Naturally, neither Nintendo nor Hori would be happy about this!

PS4 controllers require some kind of bluetooth encryption, which the console checks after eight minutes. The Mayflash adapter doesn't have this encryption so it disconnects after eight minutes. You have to remove and reinsert the adapter to continue using it for eight more minutes.

Xboxes completely ignore any controller that isn't officially licensed. My last Xbox controller adapter needed a licensed Xbox controller connected all the time to work.

I have a licensed Hori controller that works on PS3/PS4/PC via a switch, but I haven't seen a licensed controller that works on competing consoles. It could be due to the cost of licensing a single device for multiple consoles. Maybe a license wouldn't be granted if the same device is already licensed for a competitor's console. It could even be a matter of different button symbols!

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                    I got a Brook Wingman SD which works brilliantly with every stick I tried on both DC and Saturn. I then got the Brook PS2 one and it’s not worked with a single fight stick I tried. Tried firmware updates and the lot, but all I can get to work on it are the controllers so I’d be careful going down the Brook route, they’re also not cheap.
                    I've got a Mayflash F500 Elite, which I use on my PS4 and Xbox 360. Anyone know if I could connect this to my Dreamcast and Saturn using the Brook Wingman SD (it says it's compatible with PS4 and Xbox 360 controllers but obviously the Mayflash stick isn't a "proper" official controller)?

Comment

Working...
                    X