Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collection of old Japanese PC games thought lost, found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection of old Japanese PC games thought lost, found!

Short of it is, a private collection of japanese PC games (Win9x) have been leaked, of those listed there are 70+ titles thought lost to time or unreleased, which are now slowly being uploaded to archive org.

I've decided to redact this post. I was overeager, and I brought unwanted attention to sensitive information and may have caused additional harm. I'm sorry. I want to repeat what this post originally said: Although I'm glad more historical games will be available, this isn't a sustainable way to preserve games. Leaks play a role in getting things out, but they're not a healthy foundation for a gaming culture that values preservation. There's often a tense relationship between private collectors who value rare games and folks who want to release things online. We're all in this together, and to preserve our shared cultural history, we need to build trust. Private collectors have saved historical objects that otherwise might've been lost, and rather than demonizing people who are reluctant to make their collections available, we have to collaborate with them on the importance of preservation. Folks like Joseph Redon are doing incredible work bridging the cultural differences between

I'm currently getting the Ultra Resort Keroncuel game as that looked pretty interesting.

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
    Short of it is, a private collection of japanese PC games (Win9x) have been leaked, of those listed there are 70+ titles thought lost to time or unreleased, which are now slowly being uploaded to archive org.

I've decided to redact this post. I was overeager, and I brought unwanted attention to sensitive information and may have caused additional harm. I'm sorry. I want to repeat what this post originally said: Although I'm glad more historical games will be available, this isn't a sustainable way to preserve games. Leaks play a role in getting things out, but they're not a healthy foundation for a gaming culture that values preservation. There's often a tense relationship between private collectors who value rare games and folks who want to release things online. We're all in this together, and to preserve our shared cultural history, we need to build trust. Private collectors have saved historical objects that otherwise might've been lost, and rather than demonizing people who are reluctant to make their collections available, we have to collaborate with them on the importance of preservation. Folks like Joseph Redon are doing incredible work bridging the cultural differences between

I'm currently getting the Ultra Resort Keroncuel game as that looked pretty interesting.
    Seems like it all kicked off and now none of it is available any more :/ anyone know what happened or if the games are still available anywhere?

Comment

The screenshot of the uploader bragging looked very similar to Underground-Gamer which went under a number of years ago. A quick search and retrowith.in seems to be its successor so that could be the source. UG was a gold mine for retro content so it's probably worth getting an invite if possible.

Comment

Working...
      X