No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: PS1 3D Platformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping Flash! - I really enjoyed the first game, probably due to when it came out but it had a charm that not even the second or third entries could replicate as well. It's aged beyond enjoyment though.

Crash Bandicoot - Probably the best on the list, I didn't mind them but despite the generation of gamers who have nostalgia for the character and the kart game but they never hit the upper levels of quality found in Nintendo's offerings. Definitely err closer to 2D than 3D for gameplay though.

Croc - Was just a curiosity in the early days of 3D Platformers, it was pretty poor as a series

Spyro the Dragon - Never actually played a Spyro game, never appealed, which makes the upcoming remasters one for me to watch

Glover - Not awful but not great either

Ape Escape - Love the original, the sequels seemed to progressively lose focus and visual identity though. Shame Sony let the series dwindle.

Comment

I bought Jumping Flash again on PSN back in the PSP days looking to relive it but, man, has that game aged. It's definitely interesting as a curiosity, representative of the very early days of 3D console gaming. But I think it took quite a few goes to really find where 3D platformers were going and, for me, I don't know if any of them made it to the PS1.

Comment

Where’s Gex 3D? Was highly reviewed at the time. Jersey Devil also, to a lesser extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          This is gonna sound weird but back-in-the-day, I almost didn't consider Crash Bandicoot to be a 3D platformer, because of its extremely linear nature.
          When I made this thread, I expected some people to say "Crash isn't a 3D platformer", but it is despite having a linear path.

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
          I found them all simplistic, boring and by the numbers platformers with little to no redeeming features back then. Now they’d make good coasters.
          I think the Crash Bandicoot and Ape Escape aren't guilty of being overly generic. Jumping Flash was also quite distinct and full of charm.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Does MDK 'count'??? It was very very cool.
          I guess it could be, but I went for six cutesy platformers.

Were the Crash games *actually* 3D platformers? I'd say into-the-screen more like, linear like lines are. Does that mean we include Klonoa or the Pandemonium games?
          Klonoa and Pandemonium are what they call "2.5D" games, so don't really qualify. Crash, despite being linear, does feel 3D.

Ape Escape ftw.
          Still a fun game to play through.

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
          Where is Bubsy 3D?

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          I suppose the question is about what you define as 3D for platforming; for instance, is Bug! on the Saturn 3D?
          I'd say it's 3D, because you don't feel like you're on a fixed 2D plane.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Ape Escape.
          The game was fun, but it was also a revelation to play with the Dual Shock pad.
          I loved driving the little RC car around!
          I remember getting a Dual Shock with it - and it worked pretty well. The actual game is really good and full of charm.

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
          Where’s Gex 3D? Was highly reviewed at the time. Jersey Devil also, to a lesser extent.
          I didn't know it received some good reviews, so I could have put it in place of Glover. I've never played Jersey Devil, so will take a look at it.

Comment

Working...
          X