Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's something that you need to be too worried about.

LG's OLEDs are primarily sold off the back of their suitability for gaming. It's really edge cases where burn in occurs now, or we'd be seeing lots of complaints online. Hundreds of hours playing a particular game shouldn't be an issue since those sessions will be broken up into lots of smaller sessions. The screen will do self-maintenance while it is turned off to help prevent any retention.

I use an OLED and it isn't something I'm concerned about to be honest.

Comment

Besides, I think the Babestation UI overlay adds an extra touch of class to my FIFA sessions

Comment

Cheers for the info.

Part of me still thinks of picking up a 48" LG CX. Prices when using discount codes have dropped to around £1200 which is tempting (despite being more expensive than the 55" LG CX which I don't understand) but I know I'll regret putting that size TV in my sitting room.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Besides, I think the Babestation UI overlay adds an extra touch of class to my FIFA sessions

Comment

Yeah, it is weird how the 48" is more expensive than the 55", but I guess the market for it is smaller.

I reckon you've probably got a month, maybe two months max, before CXs start vanishing from shops, and you need to wait for a price drop on this year's model (the C1) to get that sort of price. The first of those discounts will probably be on Black Friday as you pointed out

Just depends whether you feel the enhancements of the C1 will be worth waiting for. From what I've read I don't think there is much in it this year, OLEDs are kinda hitting a wall in terms of quality.

Comment

The latest (2021) OLEDs are supposedly better at upscaling non 4K content which is quite a big deal when you consider how little content (gaming and otherwise) is 4K. Something to consider for those weighing up a 2020 and 2021 OLED.

Comment

Advice needed, por favor!

Looking to purchase a decent mid-range/budget HDTV to be mostly used for gaming (currently PS4 and docked Switch, with perhaps possibility for retro stuff) - £500 tops. Anything between 43" and 55".

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

[MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION] Where you at, homie?
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-06-2021, 13:43.

Comment

Lyris is over on the Blu-ray.com forums, being lovebombed for his work on various UHDs

A colleague recently asked me the same question [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION], so I have a couple of TVs handy that I think personally look good for the price. They are very slightly overbudget though.

Here, these two:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...9xh8196bu.htmlhttps://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...-qe50q60t.html

They are both 2020 models so they seem to punch above their weight for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  Advice needed, por favor!

Looking to purchase a decent mid-range/budget HDTV to be mostly used for gaming (currently PS4 and docked Switch, with perhaps possibility for retro stuff) - £500 tops. Anything between 43" and 55".

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

[MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION] Where you at, homie?

I wouldn't know too much about that price point these days, unfortunately - I'm an OLED guy myself, and although those are coming down in price, they're not at that level.

With Plasma you could get a near-top-end quality display at a low price, but alas, no more.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION]!

Thanks to you too [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]! Funnily enough, I had seen those panels on Amazon. I could probably stretch to £600 but the purchase would essentially have to be from Amazon (not a long story but can't quite say why publicly just yet).

Kinda leaning towards the Samsung model as having the Bravia would render my Chromecast with Google TV redundant. Gonna ponder it a little but good to know I'm on the right track!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                      I wouldn't know too much about that price point these days, unfortunately - I'm an OLED guy myself, and although those are coming down in price, they're not at that level.

With Plasma you could get a near-top-end quality display at a low price, but alas, no more.
                      I remember how many years ago your HDTVTest review (and some PMs you kindly replied to) helped me to buy the Panasonic UT50, which was a £600 set with, as I think you put it, dark room performance not far off the much more expensive VT50.

Keep that set for many happy years and only upgraded recently to a Panny GZ950

Glad it’s helpful @Nu-Eclipse, I haven’t seen either in the flesh and I’m not an expert but they both looked like good bang for buck to me.

Comment

UT50! I forgot all about that - wasn't it the Costco model or something like that? Basically lacked the ambient light filter but as you say, in a dark room, would look the same as the higher end ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                          UT50! I forgot all about that - wasn't it the Costco model or something like that? Basically lacked the ambient light filter but as you say, in a dark room, would look the same as the higher end ones.
                          It could well have been. It was definitely the budget model, although I got mine from John Lewis rather than Costco. It was a bit of an odd duck and no one has really heard of it, even though you still hear about the ST50/GT50/VT50 sometimes.

Great TV though, I loved it, although white screens tended towards yellow (probably would've benefited from a pro calibration but at the time I couldn't afford it). It was also SUPER reflective. Like, insanely reflective. It didn't bother me that much as I mostly used it in a dark room, where it really shone, especially watching Blu-rays.

I just gave mine to an elderly neighbour whose TV was knackered . It's one heavy boi and it was not easy grappling it out of my flat and into hers!
                          Last edited by wakka; 13-08-2021, 08:47.

Comment

Still in GT50 land here, no plans to swap it out tho it does go into standby on its own now and again eek.

Comment

Anyone had a Samsung Frame or LG Gallery Series TV?

We're going to redo the lounge and put up a new wall that could hide the cables.

One of these bad boys would look well Swiss, but worried you're compromising on the TV aspect.

Comment

Isn't the LG Gallery just an LG OLED designed to be wall mounted so doesn't come with a base stand?

If so, get it, they're awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X