Streets of Rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got this, had a good go with Blaze.

The good: I like the feel of it. Plays very much like SoR. I like the added arcadeyness of it, with combos and flashy scores.

The bad: The music. Completely forgetable. Nothing stands out in my mind, even the boss music. I can play the SoR1 boss music in my head, I can't say I remember a single stroke of this one.
    I also think there is something off with the balance of the game. Stage 2 is way harder than 3 for example. Some bosses are easy, some (I'm looking at you Estel) are super hard.

The ugly: Not so much the graphics as a whole, but elements of the graphics. I think it's been said, but some enemies just look wrong.

Overall, I like it... But I don't love it.

Comment

I’m not sure about the balance.

I found stage 2 a lot tougher, but only because of the shield guys. I think there’s a strategy to do with the jump down attack. It’s just a case of working it out. As such, it wouldn’t be balance, just matters of strategic flexibility. I find certain rooms on Stage 6 excruciatingly tough. SOR games have always been about up and down difficultly. There’s not a linear progression of difficulty level in any game really.

Comment

Unlocked Adam. Played as Adam. Adam is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          So, had a bit more time with it.

Firstly, is it just me, or is Adam just straight-up better than Axel?
          It's not just you.

He was the best of the three in the original Bare Knuckle.

He should never have been omitted from the second and third game.

Comment

Unlocked SOR Axel.

Plays great. I can’t remember him being this limited? I couldn’t do a jumping side kick, just a knee. No grand upper. On the plus side, his special is classic :-)

He plays meatily, and it serves to illustrate how good the old designs were, but also how in-keeping the new designs are. Forget the clip art. It’s about the feel.

Adam is a bloody great character!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              Unlocked SOR Axel.

Plays great. I can’t remember him being this limited? I couldn’t do a jumping side kick, just a knee. No grand upper. On the plus side, his special is classic :-)

He plays meatily, and it serves to illustrate how good the old designs were, but also how in-keeping the new designs are. Forget the clip art. It’s about the feel.
              Blaze, Adam and Axel didn't have specials in SOR/Bare Knuckle. They called up a cop car with a bazooka instead.

The special moves came in SOR2/Bare Knuckle 2.

Comment

Yes. That’s kinda blown the spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  Yes. That’s kinda blown the spoiler.
                  Really? How have I blown any spoilers? Most people would've already known this, seen the trailer with the old characters/sprites appearing in SOR4 and assume that this was the case.

Not being snide. Genuinely asking as I don't understand. (*shrugs*)

Comment

It’s a joke, dood.

Comment

Comment

Finished it on normal difficulty (just). Opening up stage select is good, I can't improve my scores but it's good to revisit and kick more ass.

Comment

Any in-game option to change the title screen to Bare Knuckle IV?

Comment

Yeah if you go to in game setting, language change it to Japanese, it converts the title screen to Bare Knuckle 4.
                            That’s the only way to change it, would have been nice if you could change it and retain English subtitles.

Comment

Bought this today and gave it a play through. To be honest I think it’s great. Solid playability but of course it’s just standard fare scrolling beat ‘em up, loads of lovely touches and despite not being sure on the graphics when it was first announced, I think it’s a great looking game. Personally I think they’ve done a tidy job with this, my only slight irk is the inconsistent boss difficulties.

Comment

Hit 5 million total points yesterday, so all achievements done.

Great game (just shy of amazing). I still cannot get into the new music whatsoever, I mostly play with retro characters, and as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't feel like it has moved the series forward. Some balance issues too, but for me, mostly between the player characters. The game balance seems ok, generally gets harder the deeper you go, bosses are, mostly, a little too straightforward though.

Other than that, loving it. Great fun, plays really well, on the higher difficulties it really can flow well, looks good (I'm still noticing new to me background details on every run), just more of the same, and when that same is largely BKII, yay!

I doubt I will revisit it as often as I do the original three games, and I would put it just behind them overall. But there's still reasons for me to play, namely wanting to solo S rank all levels on Mania. Done them all up to and including hardest using 1Axel (that player character balance...he is beast even on hardest!), but I think solo mania really will require a later character with the offensive / defensive special moves to help out.

Comment

Working...
                                X