Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah “self made” is often ridiculous but especially so in this particular case. She was made.

Comment

My missus enjoys often watching the show, has for years and despite the immediate usual vacuous nature of their lives and the way they come across it's genuinely somewhat depressing as to how utterly broken they are as human beings and how they're incapable of working out the fairly obvious reasons why they're actually pretty unhappy and how the Kardashian 'story' won't end well for them. Textbook examples of the dangers of celebrity culture and bad parenting.

Comment

Heard this fool on the radio commenting about the insane queues today for Build a bear workshop (pay childs age for some toys).

Something on the lines of "The queue is going on for miles and miles, its disgusting and ridiculous! How can you tell a 3 year old child shes not getting a toy?!"

YOU ARE NOT GETTING A TOY/ NO. There you are, two ways!

Seriously. Pretty sure most kids dragged to this sale had no idea what was going on and most that were, were hyped up by their parents.

I've got ONE toy there once (Bulbasaur), I bought it unstuffed and came back another time about 3 weeks later to get it stuffed on a hopefully quieter day. It wasn't quiet but not like a death wish that shop usually is on a weekend/ holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          At 12 o’clock today my dog Belushi left us after twelve years together. I’ve never cried so much at anything in my life. As I held him and he passed I went through so many emotions I can’t describe them, it’s going to leave a mark on me for a long time. I’m so glad for the time I had with him, and I’m sure we gave him a good life. The vet told me I was making the right decision but it doesn’t feel like it right now. We’ll sorely miss him, he’ll never be replaced. RIP my wee pal.
          Really sorry Colin Thoughts are with you pal. Celebrate his life. I hope you and family get through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
            "The queue is going on for miles and miles, its disgusting and ridiculous! How can you tell a 3 year old child shes not getting a toy?!"

Sounds more like ego-stroking for the parent than a genuine desire to give their child a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Sounds more like ego-stroking for the parent than a genuine desire to give their child a toy.
              Yeah I thought so too, pretty sure the kid had no idea about the whole thing.

Had a flashback at work today, a couple of minutes into an appointment I realised this loud obnoxious mother and her equally difficult spoilt daughter had visited me working with a different dentist 6 months ago. Pretty sure the kid has some behaviour issues but not sure if medical or just from mum.

Just as awful as last time. I made an effort to get a word in and offered the kid a sticker (totally did NOT deserve it) despite the mother spending the entire time talking AT the dentist and the kid just finding anything to get wound up about. I get the feeling the poor kid's entire life has been a battle to get a word in and her mum tricking her into things without telling her.

Last time I saw them they complained that despite being very patient and answering all her questions, the mum felt we were not welcoming enough/ bad treating kids, the nurse (me) refused to speak to any of them (I'm trying to hear what the dentist is saying for notes lady, let ANYONE get a word in!) and didn't get a sticker (spent so long cleaning up after her inquisitive angel trashed the place we genuinely forgot).

Soooooo glad she is not our (my regular dentist I work with) patient any more. Kid's being referred again to have a load of rotten teeth out and some fillings as she was no good even sitting in the chair. Mum stated she doesn't eat sweets ("But MUM YOU PROMISED *stamp* MY SWEETS AFTER THE DENTIST!!!! WAAAA") but yeah, her kid is lucky to have any. Let the referral people give her more advice between now and their next appointment, hopefully they may change to be better, nicer people with better tooth care,

Comment

Yeah I thought so too, pretty sure the kid had no idea about the whole thing.

Had a flashback at work today, a couple of minutes into an appointment I realised this loud obnoxious mother and her equally difficult spoilt daughter had visited me working with a different dentist 6 months ago. Pretty sure the kid has some behaviour issues but not sure if medical or just from mum.

Just as awful as last time. I made an effort to get a word in and offered the kid a sticker (totally did NOT deserve it) despite the mother spending the entire time talking AT the dentist and the kid just finding anything to get wound up about. I get the feeling the poor kid's entire life has been a battle to get a word in and her mum tricking her into things without telling her.

Last time I saw them they complained that despite being very patient and answering all her questions, the mum felt we were not welcoming enough/ bad treating kids, the nurse (me) refused to speak to any of them (I'm trying to hear what the dentist is saying for notes lady, let ANYONE get a word in!) and didn't get a sticker (spent so long cleaning up after her inquisitive angel trashed the place we genuinely forgot).

Soooooo glad she is not our (my regular dentist I work with) patient any more. Kid's being referred again to have a load of rotten teeth out and some fillings as she was no good even sitting in the chair. Mum stated she doesn't eat sweets ("But MUM YOU PROMISED *stamp* MY SWEETS AFTER THE DENTIST!!!! WAAAA") but yeah, her kid is lucky to have any. Let the referral people give her more advice between now and their next appointment, hopefully they may change to be better, nicer people with better tooth care,
                I think there are too many people with mental health problems in this country.

Comment

Heard this fool on the radio commenting about the insane queues today for Build a bear workshop (pay childs age for some toys).

Something on the lines of "The queue is going on for miles and miles, its disgusting and ridiculous! How can you tell a 3 year old child shes not getting a toy?!"

Seriously. Pretty sure most kids dragged to this sale had no idea what was going on and most that were, were hyped up by their parents.

I've got ONE toy there once (Bulbasaur), I bought it unstuffed and came back another time about 3 weeks later to get it stuffed on a hopefully quieter day. It wasn't quiet but not like a death wish that shop usually is on a weekend/ holidays.
                  Read an article on the BBC website earlier today about this, rampant consumerism at it's finest. In particular this segment:

Queues of "about a mile long" formed at one shopping centre, prompting calls to police.

A mother in Milton Keynes said she had taken her five-year-old daughter out of school to ensure they could get in the queue for a discounted bear.

"She's only five, they're not really doing much in school that's important at that age," she said.
                  Sigh.

Comment

A thread on Era about a racist that's pretty much confirming that the community there may have left the original community creator behind but they've dragged the mindset and scumwater over to the new site with them.

Comment

Double sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzling_bubble View Post
                        Bubble sigh.
                        Here, here.

Comment

Love Island.

Comment

“In the wake of the ArenaNet firings, women game devs are experiencing a new wave of online harassment.“. https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-0...mpression=true

Yep. Direct cause and effect, having enabled and empowered the wrong people. Since we last brought this up, it turns out none of the speculated justifications for the firings actually happened and it was exactly as it appeared on the surface. So all kinds of wrong and having the exact effect we could and did expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              “In the wake of the ArenaNet firings, women game devs are experiencing a new wave of online harassment.“. https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-0...mpression=true

Yep. Direct cause and effect, having enabled and empowered the wrong people. Since we last brought this up, it turns out none of the speculated justifications for the firings actually happened and it was exactly as it appeared on the surface. So all kinds of wrong and having the exact effect we could and did expect.
                              Gotta admit, you were right about this. Maybe I just believe too much in people, but I couldn't believe that her employer would've fired her (and the other guy) over a Twitter spat without prior provocation. Now, I guess, what with employment law being what it is, the employer can't be quite so open and frank about what happened, but it doesn't seem as though the story would be hugely different.

The whole "empowerment" thing is depressing. Seen in isolation it's a bit simpler; she had a mild disagreement with a customer in a public setting, other customers saw it, and she was fired for it. I would imagine similar things would happen in most industries. The firing was an overreaction, but I dread to think how big a dumpster fire this would've become if she hadn't been fired and those same "toxic" elements were still braying and neighing for her to be sacked a week later. Naturally that's the real problem, when (in less bizarre circumstances) this would've resulted in an apology and that would've been that.

I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. It just seems one depressing thing after another.

Comment

To be fair, it did seem like there had to be more to the firing than we saw on the surface. I still felt it was wrong but it didn’t seem like the firing was justified on its own so speculation that there was more behind it was warranted. I don’t think I agree with you on how it would have gone if she hadn’t been fired or even how it’s pitched, like she was a waiter or someone working in the service industry and so was dealing direct with customers at the time of serving them. Yes, people need to watch what they say on social media and, as mentioned, I’ve had to have a word with some people I work with on this. But they aren’t dealing direct with clients so it’s not the same as if it was someone responsible for service or sales. When someone is off the clock, they are very much entitled to an opinion and certainly entitled to stand up for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X