Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcass View Post
    I don't understand this. There's no power fantasy in this game. It's not dark souls. There's no concept of "over-leveling". It's the only thing I don't like about it. I was hoping I could go into NG+ as an over-leveled monster, but it isn't possible. You can go into the Sword Saint fight with 99 attack power, and if you don't know how to do the fight, you will be demolished, promptly.
    Bosses are definitely easier when your stats are higher. You can sustain more damage as well as dispatch them faster. I worked that out against Shinobi Owl. He was one-shotting me at first, but after some levelling, the fight became too easy.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Oh, @bcass, your alive
      Not if the bosses have their way!

I wish I was good at games like this and Transformers: Devastation, Metal Gear Rising and other tough games, but I don't have the patience/time to git gud.

At least I'm honest with myself!

Comment

I’m considering restarting and going with the four endings in order of difficulty. Both Demon of Hatred and Isshin are beginning to annoy me now. I hadn’t had too much difficulty up until now, but I seem to have hit a wall. I find that with both fights, if you make one mistake, it’s basically all over as it’s too hard to get back into it. The demon isn’t actually that hard; it’s more the length of the fight. It’s hard to keep concentration for long enough to use the whistle. Isshin is just plain unfair. I think if I could get to the last phase, I could use the lightning counter and it’d be easy. I can’t get to the last phase though. I locked myself out of getting the mask too, so I can’t boost my stats any further.

If if I don’t win today, I’ll have no other choice but to admit defeat methinks.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Are you enjoying the challenge, J0e, or are you finding it frustrating?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            Bosses are definitely easier when your stats are higher. You can sustain more damage as well as dispatch them faster. I worked that out against Shinobi Owl. He was one-shotting me at first, but after some leveling, the fight became too easy.
            It's such a tiny advantage though, I've found it's hardly noticeable, esp. on late game bosses. I've collected every single Prayer Bead and killed all mini-bosses, and the late game bosses can still 2-shot me. Also, grinding for atk power in this game is horrible. It requires 5 skill points per 1 level of atk power. It's probably something like an hour of grinding the same mobs over and over just for a single atk point. If you've killed all bosses and all mini-bosses in NG, then you will still only end up with approx. 13 atk power. Just to double that you'd be looking at around another 13 hours of grinding. I don't fancy that prospect just for a minuscule advantage. And as with Dark Souls, after a certain point of leveling atk power, it's a case of seriously diminishing returns.

On the other hand, I do like the game a lot. I've almost completed NG, and intend on doing at least one run of NG+, just so I can make save states at all the main bosses so I can play any of them whenever I like in future. I do think the game has some structural issues though. I think the lack of co-op especially is going to hurt its long-term appeal. I'd love to be able to jump into other people's games to help them slay bosses. NG+ cycles could also benefit from the Dark Souls 2 treatment. As it stands, there's not much difference between NG cycles. Will be interesting to see if this game gets any significant patches or DLCs. It would be easy for them to add DLC using additional bell memories. To be honest though, I think I'd rather they focus fully on the next game.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Are you enjoying the challenge, J0e, or are you finding it frustrating?
              I was enjoying it, but now it’s becoming tiresome. I must have fought Isshin 30 times yesterday. I mean it does get easier as you work it out, but I’ve still got two phases to learn. Watching YouTube guides just annoys me as these guys seem to just run up and pummel him to death, whereas I can barely get near him. It’s my own fault for taking the most difficult route.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’ve started again. It was just too infuriating. I’ll progress through the game more naturally this time, and more importantly go with the easiest ending.

It’s quite annoying, but I just couldn’t beat either of those two bosses.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’m considering restarting and going with the four endings in order of difficulty. Both Demon of Hatred and Isshin are beginning to annoy me now. I hadn’t had too much difficulty up until now, but I seem to have hit a wall. I find that with both fights, if you make one mistake, it’s basically all over as it’s too hard to get back into it. The demon isn’t actually that hard; it’s more the length of the fight. It’s hard to keep concentration for long enough to use the whistle. Isshin is just plain unfair. I think if I could get to the last phase, I could use the lightning counter and it’d be easy. I can’t get to the last phase though. I locked myself out of getting the mask too, so I can’t boost my stats any further.

If if I don’t win today, I’ll have no other choice but to admit defeat methinks.
                  Where are you struggling with Isshin?
                  I’ll offer some tips if I can.
                  I found him a struggle but once I figured some things out it wasn’t too bad. You’re right too, the final form is easy. As soon as you get in on him his next move most of the time is his lightning attack which can be easily countered. I did the final form on my 2nd attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                    Where are you struggling with Isshin?
                    I’ll offer some tips if I can.
                    I found him a struggle but once I figured some things out it wasn’t too bad. You’re right too, the final form is easy. As soon as you get in on him his next move most of the time is his lightning attack which can be easily countered. I did the final form on my 2nd attempt.
                    I can barely beat Genichiro today for some reason. I’ve been playing for two hours and beaten him once. I’ve lost all motivation to continue with it. Sad really, but the ramp up in difficulty is just too much for me to care about.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I can barely beat Genichiro today for some reason. I’ve been playing for two hours and beaten him once. I’ve lost all motivation to continue with it. Sad really, but the ramp up in difficulty is just too much for me to care about.
                      Ha!

You remember that feeling next time you cuss me out for playing something on easy setting or glitching my way to victory!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Ha!

You remember that feeling next time you cuss me out for playing something on easy setting or glitching my way to victory!
                        I’d set myself up wrongly for that fight. By the time I get back there, it won’t be half as difficult. Even the YouTube guys are way higher levelled. That’s probably how they do so much damage so quickly.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As one of the finest gamers around, I expect to breeze through this. I can't see myself dying at all. Or even getting hit.

Joking aside, I've enjoyed reading all these impressions, so much so I've just ordered the game. I still regularly enjoy Dark Souls III and Bloodborne so can't wait to savour it for myself.

Comment

I’d set myself up wrongly for that fight. By the time I get back there, it won’t be half as difficult. Even the YouTube guys are way higher levelled. That’s probably how they do so much damage so quickly.
                            I'm sick of your excuses now, quitter!

Comment

That was a great idea. It’s only taken me two and a half hours to do everything up to the first Genichiro fight so far. I’m walking around like I own the place.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’ve ran through it in a day. Starting again was the best thing I could do. It also helped me read bosses better. I’ve been playing as though I’m still as high-levelled as I was before. The aggression goes a long way. Stay on top of everyone and smash them until they die is the way forward.

What a fantastic game this is.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X