Celebrity Deaths Thread 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    ****, I only know her from Celebrity Julie. Z list celeb that became popular but then lost it I'm guessing? I really don't know.

By the way, what is this CPS people are talking about?
    Crown Prosecution Service.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      Crown Prosecution Service.
      Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Comment

Meanwhile we have lost someone who definitely deserves some column inches - RIP Harry, one of the Babes;
        Former Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg, who survived the 1958 Munich air crash, has died aged 87.

Comment

I don't know whether she smashed her bloke over the head with a lamp, but the tabloids posting pictures of the broken lamp and blood soaked furniture is not public interest, IMHO.

Comment

The media are to blame for a lot of stuff. However, with 'reality tv', the tabloids create the fame for the contestants and presenters. It's like a pact with the devil, if they turn on you they can destroy you. Social media makes it all worse, how do people feel good about commenting on someone they don't know, with thousands in a swarm? That's classic bullying. Also the media in this country have always 'made people' then torn them down. A select few survive the process. I think it was Jade Goodie who they tore to pieces, then felt guilty and made her famous again. I notice they're pushing the royal family heavy for the last decade. Society has been dumbed down in a blatant manner.

Comment

I feel labelling her a Z-list is unfair. She's been a high-profile host of shows like Love Island, X-Factor, I'm a Celebrity..., Heart FM Breakfast and won Strictly Come Dancing.

Now, most of those shows are outside of my entertainment sphere too, but it doesn't mean she wasn't well-liked by people who do watch them and those she worked with.

However, the reason this story is getting a lot of attention, other than her popularity, is that it shows that it doesn't matter if you really are Z-List or if you're royalty, it's clear that the tabloid press have got a right little racket going where they'll build someone up, then knock them down and every time you buy the paper or click on their websites, they're making money from salacious, often fabricated "news".

It drove Harry and Meghan to "quit" the royal family and, in this case, drove someone to suicide.

Most of these newspapers either insure themselves against getting sued, or have a pot of money set aside to cover court cases.
              They make enough money from the clicks to cover it, and if they get sued over one story, it doesn't matter because the damage is done, the readers believe it and it's a foundation to build the next story on.

More on this in this fascinating article:
              Tabloids regularly publish covers that seem to defame, but they get away with it. Huck lawyer Alex Wade explores the line separating free speech and libel.

Flack's career was over when she assaulted her boyfriend. The press could smell blood and had a feast.
              The CPS are getting a lot of criticism because they were still charging her for the event, despite her partner not wanting to press charges. It's also worth noting that these newspapers that covered every moment of her social life need to point the blame elsewhere and are happy to guide you in that direction.

Also, you're getting editors and people like Morgan shedding crocodile tears for the loss of an "inspirational woman", yet it's their bullying that drove her to suicide.

I think it's time for the press to be accountable for their actions as their current business model is starting to cost lives.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                The CPS are getting a lot of criticism because they were still charging her for the event, despite her partner not wanting to press charges.
                This isn't how the law works, though, QC. The "press charges" thing to me is a US TV thing and I don't know enough about US law to know if it has any legal standing there either but a crime is a crime. Even if the victim doesn't want to make a fuss, if a crime has been committed it will generally be prosecuted unless there is a very good reason not to.

Comment

I'll be honest, there are a couple of "Why did the CPS continue to press charges?" articles, but they're all on tabloid sites and didn't want to give them my clicks, so thanks.

Comment

To be fair, whilst I have little time for the awful tabloid media, you can avoid some of the bad attention by not whacking people over the head with a lamp whilst they're asleep (allegedly), then there is often no need for someone to dial 999 and ask the operator for help because you think you're going to be killed and the CPS don't get involved.

It's not like the rabbid media is a new thing, so anyone going into the celebrity minefield knows they're going to come under scrutiny and probably have nasty things written about them at some point, especially if they do stupid things. I can't see that changing anytime soon, so the reality at the moment is you need to find a way of dealing with that kind of pressure - like anything in life, it's going to impact some more than others.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I'll be honest, there are a couple of "Why did the CPS continue to press charges?" articles, but they're all on tabloid sites and didn't want to give them my clicks, so thanks.
                    The Evening Standard did a sensationalist free article on the original assault charge: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4313136.html and on her court appearance to answer those charges: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4320176.html
                    Last edited by MartyG; 17-02-2020, 10:42.

Comment

It's not the same now though, is it?

"Today's news is tomorrow's chip paper" is the old saying, but not any more.
                      Every story lives on as websites and tweets and everyone makes sure that their opinion must be heard on potentially untrue events and people that they've never met.

Comment

While I'd love to point the finger at the press we will never know why she killed herself. I don't know if knowing your career is over would be enough to drive someone to suicide, its possible she had a host of other problems; one of which i'm sure would be why she hit someone over the head with a lamp whilst they're asleep (allegedly).

Comment

You don't have to read the @ Replies sent to you on twitter - you can choose to hide them - as mentioned, this pack mentality is not a new thing - people on the internet are morons; if you go into that lifestyle, you have to learn to deal with the flack that comes with it, regardless of whether it should be happening to people or not.

Comment

Or maybe it was The Sun posting about a spiteful Valentine's Day card about her?

The point still stands that the press are part of this.

Comment

The CPS can't be blamed surely. They just follow legal guidelines. Piers Morgan blaming them is... wtf dude

Comment

I didn't even know who she was....

Comment

Working...
                                X