No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Puzzle Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tetris still reigns supreme. Funnily enough, I've been getting into watching quite a few YouTube videos of CTWC - Classic Tetris World Championship - tournament play, where the NES (non-Tengen) version is used. It's quite impressive to watch elite players at that level.

I'll say that I have a weird love-hate relationship with Dr. Mario where, despite not actually rating it as a great puzzler, I'll still always look to play it albeit briefly before never returning to it again!

Of the rest from the initial list: Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble and Super Puzzle Fighter deserve honourable mentions. Lumines would also be there for me (yes, it is still kicking around on modern consoles but of course it was originally a PSP game).

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Tetris still reigns supreme.
      As much as I respect Tetris, I always prefer the Tetris variants. Games like Bombliss, Magicaliss, Sparkliss etc... Tetrisphere on the N64 is also a really nice alternative.

I'll say that I have a weird love-hate relationship with Dr. Mario where, despite not actually rating it as a great puzzler,
      I remember everyone I knew with a NES seemed to have a copy of it. It was certainly a very popular game on the NES and GB. I think I'll play the SNES version sometime at the weekend.

Lumines would also be there for me (yes, it is still kicking around on modern consoles but of course it was originally a PSP game).
      I prefer to stick to pre-2000 games. Although I did a Dreamcast Arena, so I let it qualify seeing it's a 1998 machine.

Comment

Tetris for me - none of the others come close.

Best puzzler of more recent times for me is Puzzle Quest

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post

Best puzzler of more recent times for me is Puzzle Quest
          Yeah, a really good puzzler. I have played the DS version quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X