Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly... this is with none of the games being tested having any work done on them to run and the Series X working in backward compatibility mode only.

I am sure those that aren't hitting 60fps could with some tweaking under the hood either from the developer or from the central BC team. I think for the most part it is hugely impressive given that practically every game is supported already and works day one. Hopefully with any luck some of the bigger titles can get some attention to smooth out some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      anyone else feel underwhelmed that it seems to not be able to hold 60fps 4k on some of the last gen games they tested
      It’s possible there’s still some emulation/real-time translation going on which could be improved with updates. Usually this sort of thing happens when a game was using some cool tricks to squeeze out extra performance on the original console.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        anyone else feel underwhelmed that it seems to not be able to hold 60fps 4k
        Not really since none of those titles has been optimised for the Series X. At least they work on the new system

Comment

I think the biggest improvement there is Sekiro (a game I haven't played) , watching it hit 60fps and knowing it's such a rhythmic game means surely that is one to try out on the new hardware.

It isn't flawless but it is great to see any boost in performance. It almost makes me sad to see games that were locked in framerates now as I guess there isn't a lot they can do to remedy the situation.

The auto-HDR stuff is some kind of voodoo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            Exactly... this is with none of the games being tested having any work done on them to run and the Series X working in backward compatibility mode only.

I am sure those that aren't hitting 60fps could with some tweaking under the hood either from the developer or from the central BC team. I think for the most part it is hugely impressive given that practically every game is supported already and works day one. Hopefully with any luck some of the bigger titles can get some attention to smooth out some things.
            Some big stuff isn't working for the Journo's at the moment, Forza horizon 4 and one of the Newer versions of halo both display messages saying their not supported at present, Makes me think Work is being done by the BC team on newer Microsoft first party stuff to really make it shine on series x.

Comment

Yes MS already stated that the preview only includes 150 titles at the moment across the backward compatible line-up so that measures up. I think they even mention that in the DF video above? The embargo also means they can only talk about backward compatibility, quick resume and the UI (storage, loading times etc...)... its pretty strict even though they have a full near-final machine to play with.

We know they are adding 120fps to Forza Horizon 4 so I am not surprised it is still in the garage for maintenance... Same can be said of the MC collection and they also stated Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, Gears Ultimate etc... all getting enhancements.

I have a feeling MS will do a round two of the preview in a week or so where the bigger titles are accessible to try out and hopefully some actual Series X/S titles as well.

Comment

Yes MS already stated that the preview only includes 150 titles at the moment across the backward compatible line-up so that measures up. I think they even mention that in the DF video above? The embargo also means they can only talk about backward compatibility, quick resume and the UI (storage, loading times etc...)... its pretty strict even though they have a full near-final machine to play with.

We know they are adding 120fps to Forza Horizon 4 so I am not surprised it is still in the garage for maintenance... Same can be said of the MC collection and they also stated Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, Gears Ultimate etc... all getting enhancements.

I have a feeling MS will do a round two of the preview in a week or so where the bigger titles are accessible to try out and hopefully some actual Series X/S titles as well.
                Its a good way to build up hype and means they can control the news cycle. it would definitely make sense to see the next round of news be around enhanced ports, cant wait to see what they do with Forza horizon 4, 404 industry's versions of halo i can take or leave.

Comment

It not hitting 60fps all the time is exactly where expectations should have been all along. Sone titles will no doubt end up getting optimised more later but it'll never hit the target in everything. In the end, just like PS5, it's a £450 console so it cannot do what its PC equivalents can't do. None the less the performance improvements will be big on the old machines but seriously expect to see native 4K, 60fps, 120fps and ray tracing all disappear ever increasingly as each year goes on.

Comment

10 December 2020 release for The Medium

Comment

It's not a launch game?!?!?

Good grief Microsoft!!

Sony's day one is far from amazing - a remake and a cross-gen mission pack for a last-gen game - but at least there's something.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        It's not a launch game?!?!?

Good grief Microsoft!!

Sony's day one is far from amazing - a remake and a cross-gen mission pack for a last-gen game - but at least there's something.
                        It was never a launch game... It was always mentioned as being in the Launch window a bit like Ratchet and Clank. I mean its out 4 weeks after launch which is still pretty good.

It's also £40 digital on the Xbox Store so it's cheaper than most games which is nice.

Comment

It was never a launch game... It was always mentioned as being in the Launch window a bit like Ratchet and Clank. I mean its out 4 weeks after launch which is still pretty good.

It's also £40 digital on the Xbox Store so it's cheaper than most games which is nice.
                          I don't buy the old 'launch window' stuff personally. It's one of those marketing terms that have crept into the vernacular, like 'microtransaction'.

Not having a go at you at all but a launch lineup to me is what's available on day one, and boy oh boy do we have a lacklustre showing this gen. MS is really taking the biscuit though, despite all of their good work hardware, BC and Game Pass wise.

Comment

Yeah I agree... launch window isn't launch, though this will be hitting shortly after.

I think right now for launch what is hitting day one is:

Gears Tactics*
                            Assassins Creed Valhalla
                            Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
                            Tetris Effect: Connected
                            Yakuza: Like A Dragon
                            Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
                            Watchdogs: Legion
                            Observer: System Redux
                            Dirt 5
                            Destiny 2: Beyond Light*

They all are coming day one with Xbox Series enhancements. The * are ones going straight into game pass.

Agree its slim pickings on the exclusive titles but then there is a gaping infinite hole there... We will of course also see stuff like Fortnite (meh), Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 get some Xbox Series enhancements as well.

Comment

Yeah I agree... launch window isn't launch, though this will be hitting shortly after.

I think right now for launch what is hitting day one is:

Gears Tactics*
                              Assassins Creed Valhalla
                              Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
                              Tetris Effect: Connected
                              Yakuza: Like A Dragon
                              Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
                              Watchdogs: Legion
                              Observer: System Redux
                              Dirt 5
                              Destiny 2: Beyond Light*

They all are coming day one with Xbox Series enhancements. The * are ones going straight into game pass.

Agree its slim pickings on the exclusive titles but then there is a gaping infinite hole there... We will of course also see stuff like Fortnite (meh), Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 get some Xbox Series enhancements as well.
                              There's deffo stuff to play, you're right. I was thinking more of your traditional day one flagship title. They were obv relying on Halo for that but I think they've done the right thing by pushing it back.

Comment

Do Microsoft games always go on Game Pass day one?

Comment

Working...
                                X