No announcement yet.

RetroWars: Sega vs Nintendo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair, I think the N64 and Saturn entertain two different markets. The Saturn is full of fantastic arcade ports, mainly of the shooting and fighting variety, whereas the N64 was the land of happy cute 3D platformers. Yes, that’s a bit of a generalisation and there are some fantastic exceptions on both platforms like Burning Rangers, Sin & Punishment and Starfox 64, but you get the point.

As for Sony? Well I suppose you could say that was the realm of the JRPG or Survival Horror... but the PlayStation really did have a bit of everything as it was the market leader. Some/most of the Capcom 2D fighting games are lacking in comparison to the Saturn ports though, even though the 2D shmups seem to come through unscathed. And Spyro showed they could do a competent 3D platformer.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      To be fair, I think the N64 and Saturn entertain two different markets. The Saturn is full of fantastic arcade ports, mainly of the shooting and fighting variety, whereas the N64 was the land of happy cute 3D platformers. Yes, that’s a bit of a generalisation and there are some fantastic exceptions on both platforms like Burning Rangers, Sin & Punishment and Starfox 64, but you get the point.
      Yeah, it's really hard to compare the Saturn and the N64. I almost don't consider them as rivals because in the UK, they were like ships passing in the night - the Saturn was largely over by the time the N64 was released. I get that for importers and Japanese gamers it will have felt different, but not in the UK.

Plus their games differ enormously. It's hard to compare something like Street Fighter Alpha 2 to Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's not so much comparing apples and oranges as comparing apples and fountain pens. Given, you could perhaps compare Wing Arms to Pilotwings 64 but they're still very different.

Comment

All this is why the idea of Sega vs Nintendo remains such an iconic era in gaming history. I veered off from putting a poll in the thread as I was unsure whether having one would make the discussion more binary but it's broadly a neck and neck discussion to this day which is why in the 90's it was such a perfect schoolyard argument.

Comment

Yep. And really, I reckon everyone is a winner. You can make a really strong case for either and people who had a NES or a SNES or a Master System or Megadrive all should be pretty happy and would have no shortage of good games no matter which they went for.

And then you grow up and get money and can buy all of them and then you live like a god. A GOD!

Comment

The best thing about being old and working and paying bills is that I get to buy games consoles whenever I want.

I'm like an 8 year old with an income.

Comment

The thread got me thinking about system design in general. When I was young I would sit and stare at the photos of things like the PC-Engine, MD, SFC & NEO and be absolutely in awe, desperate to be able to get my hands on them as the designs were awesome. I still think they look incredible now. Can anyone really say they feel the same looking at a PS4, Switch or XBO? I know we're supposed to see machines these days as more than 'just' games machines, but they're just so ****ing boring. Sony and Microsofts efforts are just nondescript boxes, while Nintendo's machine looks like some knock off tablet from Aliexpress. Would it really kill them to put a bit more effort in?

Comment

I think as with many of these things, age is a factor. I've seen plenty of kids with their faces pressed up against the glass of the CEX window, talking to each other about how cool the Switch is and how much they want one.

Comment

There isn’t exactly much by way of space to make more of the Switch and the joycons look pretty good so I have no complaints from a looks perspective. Build quality is a whole other matter. I couldn’t even tell you what a PS4 or XBox One look like. Bricks... one is definitely black and the other kind of a cream colour?

Comment

It's that whole drive towards making the console an under the TV all in one device making them put together consoles that look like generic media boxes. I'd love it if either MS or Sony went nuts next gen and delivered a console design that actually reeked of being a console, something like a sexier sleeker SNES/DC

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      but they're just so ****ing boring. Sony and Microsofts efforts are just nondescript boxes,
                      Well, consoles are now a reasonably powerful PC in a box. So you need space and cooling to keep temperatures down. It's actually a benefit to have a big roomy box. But of course, it doesn't look very good. I think MS & Sony could probably design a big box to look reasonably nice, but I doubt they'll bother.

Comment

Consoles have to blend into a large variety of spaces and will potentially be there for years. Something overtly styled will lose its appeal over time just like a lot of flash cars get you on showroom appeal but grow tired looking after a while.
                        I can't say I'm struck on the PS4 or Pro but the One S and X look OK. Selling electronics without design flourishes certainly hasn't done Apple's profits any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          Selling electronics without design flourishes certainly hasn't done Apple's profits any harm.
                          Apple's products have more "design flourish" than nearly every other manufacturer on the market, though. Their design very much does age.

Comment

Those classic Macs were a reaction to the bland beige boxes computers of that era came in. But that’s ancient history now. iPhones, Macs et al for the last 15 years or so have been very pared back.
                            There isn’t even an Apple logo on the front of an iPhone or iPad.

Comment

Modern phones etc are kind of amusing. There's all the review and impression vids about them whenever new models hit with lots of views that include the aesthetics of the device yet we've reached the point where they all look alike, there's little room for a good or bad looking phone because there's no variety in them.

Going back to software, I do have a big soft spot for Sonic but if I'm being honest with myself I feel there's a huge quality difference between Mario entries (for the most part) and Sonic (even at his peak)

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                Going back to software, I do have a big soft spot for Sonic but if I'm being honest with myself I feel there's a huge quality difference between Mario entries (for the most part) and Sonic (even at his peak)
                                Yeah; in fairness to Mario, the 2D platformer games are really consistent. People might talk about the New series as being a bit lifeless and dull, but I'm sure to people who are new to Mario, they love it, and it's certainly competent (the sales figures seem to agree with that assertion).

When I bought Sonic Forces on launch, I was very conscious of the fact that I was rolling the dice. In a weird way that's become part of the fun, crazy though that is.

Though I think back on the MD/Master System, the Sonic franchise was generally... Ah, no, Spinball.

Comment

Working...
                                X