Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Nintendo is balls for action games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leon bringing balance of the force!

Comment

Skyblazer

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
        Skyblazer

Such a beautiful looking game. A gem that deserved more recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
          No Mode 7! Visually the SNES could do stuff the Megadrive was incapable of and it made the difference...until the Mega CD came out and by that time it was too late in the States... and Japan. The SNES was built on the success of the NES that is not to say the Megadrive or Genesis was not a great machine 68000 processor and all if the SNES had been given 12.5MHz speed processor this would not even be a conversation.
          Snes could do rotating fluffy clouds with violins. Megadrive is for badass action games. Joe Mushashi would knife Kirby in the throat.

Comment

Oh Daryl isn't that bad!

Comment

UN Squadron is a solid and good-looking game, but as a port it plays to the strengths of the system - it moves along at a fairly slow pace and there's that not many sprites on screen. That's probably why Capcom chose to port it over the arguably superior (spiritual) sequel Carrier Airwing, which was probably too busy.

I'd agree that the MD probably couldn't do as good a port of UN Squadron due to the colours involved, but I would also say that the SNES would struggle if it had to do a shooter with a ton of sprites moving around at once like Thunder Force III. Gradius III really struggles and Super R-Type runs like an absolute pig.

Even the sound chips - you can't do everything on a SNES that an MD does and vice-versa. Yakumo did a great set of videos showcasing the best music on both system and if you tried to reproduce one on the other it definitely wouldn't sound as good. It's easy to produce nice strings/brass type noises on the SNES, but the MD can handle a variety of guitar type sounds very easily.

They're just different systems and can do different things. It's like choosing to eat one type of meal forever rather than enjoying the whole variety of flavours out there. Just get both and enjoy them.

Comment

I think Thunderforce 3 did have a version on the SNES, or of the arcade game or something. Isn't it spirits and AC?

Super Aleste was a fast moving shooter but not many firms achieved that.

The MD sound chip is amazing for synth sounds.

Some of the opinions in this thread were silly and intended to provoke a response.
                (just the one poster)
                Last edited by monel; 04-12-2020, 22:20.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

Some of the opinions in this thread were silly and intended to provoke a response.
                  (just the one poster)
                  Yeah you're not wrong, that Capcom guy's post really upset me, no one can honestly like those Megaman games. Ridiculous!

Comment

Is Megaman harder as a game than the Ghosts / Ghouls series?

I know Japan had endless Famicom games but I think in the west the NES fan base is mainly American.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                      Yeah you're not wrong, that Capcom guy's post really upset me, no one can honestly like those Megaman games. Ridiculous!
                      I meant him, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        They're just different systems and can do different things. It's like choosing to eat one type of meal forever rather than enjoying the whole variety of flavours out there. Just get both and enjoy them.
                        Yeah, it's all about enjoying the distinct qualities of each retro system from that era. The PCE, Mega Drive, SNES and Neo Geo all have their own vibe. That aspect of retro gaming really appeals to me and keeps me interested.

Comment

Alright, Mr Sit-on-the-Fence.

Comment

The keep meaning to give Undercover Cops a go, can’t remember where I read about it, but sounded like a good beat em up

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Interesting, it's like is Metroid Prime a first person shooter?
                              It is not. It's an FPA (First Person Adventure) game.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                Alright, Mr Sit-on-the-Fence.
                                OK... if I could only have one system on a desert island -- I'd choose the SNES and all its best games. I'm off the fence.

Run Sabre is a pretty good action game. It may not be as big and bold as Strider, but it has impressive stuff alongside the small sprites. Some of the music is really nice.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-12-2020, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X