Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like this is the one to get. £200 off!

Comment

Honestly, I have no issue with keeping my files on a D: drive, and my programs (and anything I'm working on right now) on the C: SSD, along with my OS.

I actually quite like it as in my experience, if a drive fails it's more likely to be an OS drive, meaning your files are a bit safer. Lastly, under Win10 it's easier to reset your Windows install to factory default settings and completely flatten your OS drive (it has a tool for it and everything, no disk needed), and if you habitually keep your files on a second drive, this is pretty quick to do when you need to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Looks like this is the one to get. £200 off!
        Bargain. After all, bordersdown is worth it.

Comment

I felt little to no difference in real world performance between the 960 EVO I was using and my usual 850 Pro to be honest. The numbers don't lie but the way it felt... hum

Comment

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION]: yeah, I keep my files and data on a regular HDD and my OS on a 128gb (few years old) SSD. It's no faff and yes, you're being silly

Comment

So basically get one of these: https://www.ebuyer.com/797214-kingst...-skc1000h-240g Which lets me put M2 chips into my own motherboard I think? So once an enormous M2 is cheap enough I can replace it.

This review says it doesn't have encryption. I presume I can just use bitlocker with windows pro though?
              Last edited by charlesr; 06-05-2018, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                So basically get one of these: https://www.ebuyer.com/797214-kingst...-skc1000h-240g Which lets me put M2 chips into my own motherboard I think? So once an enormous M2 is cheap enough I can replace it.

This review says it doesn't have encryption. I presume I can just use bitlocker with windows pro though?
                That’s one way to do it yep. In fact that’s some pretty amazing speeds over a sata ssd at a reasonable price.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 06-05-2018, 20:02.

Comment

New monitor turned up. Resolution is nice and the extra screen real estate will be super useful for when working in multiple windows. Plus FreeSync is most welcome as well.

Not convinced on the semi gloss screen though. I’m used to a full ips zero glare screen so I think it’s just a question of getting used to it. It’s certainly not a full gloss, just slight.

Just need to get the scaling spot on now and the colour balance on the monitor itself.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-05-2018, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                    @charlesr: yeah, I keep my files and data on a regular HDD and my OS on a 128gb (few years old) SSD. It's no faff and yes, you're being silly
                    Same here but stay away from MSI lappies and the Steelseries keyboards - sorry off on a tangent.

Comment

I have an M2 for windows, then a normal Samsung SSD for steam etc, then a big hard drive for all the crap and the odd game I rarely play.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

*cue verbal explosion noise*

Just waiting for the new 11/20 series GTX to hit, rather than get bummed by scalpers.
                          No hard drive? You might need more fan cooling on the M2?

Anybody tested the new short SATA cables? I found they're slower than standard ones, but maybe an issue with my system?

Comment

SATA cables are just copper aren't they? Ground and signal. Should be no difference. If anything the shorter cables might be marginally faster. Unless you bought really cheap poor quality ones that don't meet spec.

Comment

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION]

£90 Bargain
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 11-05-2018, 11:57.

Comment

Also for anyone building a system right now and looking for ryzen as your start.

AMD Ryzen 5 processors are powerful and offer up excellent value for money, especially when you choose Ebuyer. Transform your PC with Ryzen 5 CPUs for gaming, streaming and content creation.

Processor even comes with amd’s wraith spire cpu fan as well. Bargain.

Comment

Working...
                                X