Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
    The rule is that you're allowed to stutter / slow right down in your run up but you're not allowed to stop your run completely. You're also not allowed to pause at the very end of the run up before kicking the ball.

After watching the highlights Son did appear to stop completely in the middle of his run, so by the letter of the law it was correctly ruled out. If he'd kept moving forwards a tiny tiny bit instead of coming to a complete halt, he would have been okay.
    Apparently this is incorrect. Raphael Honigstein (a German journalist) is being particularly adamant about it, saying that many people are mistakenly saying that you can stutter but not stop completely during your run up, but the actual rule says no such thing. I have no idea now where I read that stopping in the middle of the run was illegal, must have been in one of the match reports.

The official rule on the IFAB web site says "feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker". Or from the FA web site "Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football. However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned."

As Honegstein says, there's nothing in the rules that says stopping completely during (or at the end of) your run up is illegal. So it seems that the only thing that should rule out a PK is if the player does a dummy shot before their actual shot, which Son certainly didn't do. So it should have been a goal, Son does know the rule and the ref doesn't, and I demand the the record books be amended to show us winning 7-1 rather than 6-1

Comment

You tell 'em, man, Son was innocent and was done out of his goal.

It was on the BBC Radio 5 Sport commentary and after match 'phone in that they seemed to be quoting some authoritative source about no stopping during the run up for a PK. I also remember during my schoolboy football playing days that you were taught not to stop your run up to trick the goalie as it would be treated as unsportsman like behaviour.

So if they all had that wrong then it is something that obviously needs a genuinely authoritative ruling.

Comment

Robbed of a hat-trick I tells ya! I'm sharpening my pitchfork as we speak

Obviously it made no difference in the end, and I don't mind pundits not being sure of rules because they do get little updates quite often that go unnoticed (I wouldn't be surprised if those on the radio were reading from an outdated rulebook), but it's worrying when refs don't seem to be up-to-date with the latest rules.

Then again, football is a weird sport when it comes to enforcing the rules. Half the penalties that get taken should be re-taken for encroachment but rarely are, keepers are only meant to be allowed to hold the ball for six seconds but regularly hold it for longer, sometimes a ref will make sure a free-kick or a throw is taken in exactly the right place, then let loads of other free-kicks and throws during the game get taken yards ahead of where they should be... it's nuts really

Comment

Decent, straightforward win today. We got a bit sloppy at times, but deserved the win and could have had one or two more on another day. One big chance for Huddersfield when Ince went through but Lloris saved and just after that (iirc) we got the second goal.

Two lovely finishes from Son, and Kane's cross to set up Son for the second was sublime. Son had been on a bit of a barren run in front of goal for the past month and a half, but two in the cup and two today, coming back into goalscoring form at just the right time for the business end of the season.

Juve up next! I watched the second half of Lazio vs Juventus when I got back from Wembley. Lazio did really well, had shut them out for the whole match and Juve hadn't had a single shot on target... until a moment of magic from Dybala nicked the 1-0 win for them with their only shot on target in the 93rd minute. Just goes to show you cannot write them off and they have a habit of grinding out results that they need; we're going to have to be really on it on Wednesday to go through. Gonna be a big night!

Comment

Key for Juve is the return tonight (I think?) of two players missing from that first leg - Blaise Matuidi & Paulo Dybala. If they're both OK to start on Weds, and Higuain is back, then they should be a tougher proposition. However, they have to come forward at some point and have to score - that should play into our hands, but it's still going to be a tough, nervy night.

Got to love the current team/management though, and it's the best I've ever seen Tottenham. 17 games unbeaten, playing with a swagger and a style, some genuinely fantastic players (not just Harry...) and a new stadium to come.

Comment

I don't think there was any doubt that they would, but Haringey Council have official approved the capacity of our new stadium being increased from 61,559 to 62,062.

Spurs have also released a new video of Ledley King having a butchers at the concourses inside the new stadium and talking about the flooring, which uses material from the original White Hart Lane.

Comment

And we've just seen why Trippier should start every big game ahead of Aurier - brilliant cross for the goal!

Comment

Absolutely gutted by the result last night by proud of our performances in the competition overall this season. After last season's limp exit at the group stage, we topped the hardest group which few people gave us a chance of progressing from and were then rewarded with probably the toughest second round opponent. Just didn't quite have the nous and experience to get through against Juve. A great improvement on the previous year though, and that's what you hope for, to improve and get better each year.

Two matches against Juve, two against Dortmund, two against Real Madrid, three wins and only one defeat. Loads of great positives they can take from this season's run in the CL. Our players should have learned a lot in both victory and defeat so hopefully we can get back into the CL again and improve again next season.

What last night and the first leg showed is that you really have to make it count when you're on top and you can't switch off for a second when your opponent is in the ascendancy, against top level opposition. I think we had more possession in both matches, more shots in both matches and more shots on target in both matches. I'd say we were in charge and looked the better side for 75-80 minutes in both matches... but Juve, especially last night, really made their brief period on top count, while we didn't take full advantage when we were on top.

But we so nearly took it to extra time, it was gut-wrenching when Kane's last minute header hit the post and then bobbled agonisingly along the line before being cleared. Thems the breaks though. Feels a bit harsh on our players but if we had put in the performance that Juve had tonight we'd be calling in a masterclass in staying in a match, taking your chances, and grinding out the result you need, so hats off to them. I'd like to see them go on and win it so Buffon can finally grab the one trophy that's eluded him.

Back to domestic matches! The players need to pick themselves up and bounce right back with a result this weekend. No distractions now, give everything to finish in the top four and go all out to win the FA Cup. COYS!

Comment

Oh man, what happened last night? We were coasting, really, and one tactical change and two substitutions did for us. Juve showed real grit and determination in shutting us out, and had the sheer confidence in that ability to shut up shop, making no attempt at all to get a third goal. We nearly got ourselves back level with Kane's header, but it wasn't to be.

And so, what to make of it all. Of course, we're now labelled in the media as bottlers, naive and not good enough - but did people really think we were going to be winning the CL this year? An outside chance, at best, which would have looked better had we beaten Juve. But it's completely rubbish to write the team off because of last night. Instead, look at the improvement in the team compared to last year's poor showing - we've drawn with and beaten Real Madrid, beat Dortmund home and away, and probably should today be saying we've knocked out Juventus. And that's with little investment on top of last year's squad.

Hopefully the team react to this how they responded last year to the West Ham defeat that ended our (again, slim) chances of winning the league, when they went unbeaten and secured 2nd. There is still an FA Cup to go for, to end this 'haven't won anything' tag; and finishing in the top four is also achievable, but will be quickly taken away by Chelsea if we drop points in the next couple of games. Then it's CL football in our new home next season, with a squad hopefully improved by last night's experience.
                    Last edited by TonyDA; 08-03-2018, 17:43.

Comment

Good win today, although we weren't at our best (especially in the first half) and I think 4-1 was a bit harsh on Bournemouth. They gave us quite a few problems throughout the match, especially at the beginning, they started really really well, and while it was only 2-1 there was always a worry that they could nick something as they were dangerous on the break and from set pieces.

We did deserve the win though, and the second half performance was better, Eriksen played really well and pulled all the strings.

Obviously the Kane injury is a concern, but Son has proved before (and today!) that he's an able deputy up front. Hopefully he isn't out for too long and if there's any silver lining, at least there's an international break coming up to reduce the number of games he misses.

Edit: TonyDA, I think Aurier must have read your comment the other day because he put in a fantastic cross for our equaliser
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 11-03-2018, 17:24.

Comment

Not too bothered about Kane - he hasn't scored for three games, so it's obvious teams have worked him out. Much prefer the idea of Llorente leading the line for the next few weeks....

(Removes tongue from cheek.. )

If any key player were to pick up an injury, now is just about the right time - Swansea next week, then two weeks off for the international break. Should Harry have the kind of problem which means he misses next weekend, but is back for Chelsea on April 1st, that could work in our favour in terms of getting a rest as he'll be run into the ground for England in two friendly matches.

Pleased with the result today. I didn't see the match and only saw the score at three points - 1-0, half time (1-1) and full time - so was pleased to see the character of the team in terms of responding to Juventus, going behind, losing Kane and then winning convincingly (even if it was flattering).

And Son Heung-min is my hero!

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                          Edit: TonyDA, I think Aurier must have read your comment the other day because he put in a fantastic cross for our equaliser
                          All part of my Jedi mind skills. You'll have seen I've just done similar to get Harry better quickly, and back to scoring goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            Thanks for the update. If you get in there, take a screengrab of the main seating plan anyhow please, just in case
                            Here you go, interactive 3D map of the stadium + view from every seat:

Plus a load of info here if anyone's interested: http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news...tadium-120318/

Now I've gotta go through the season ticket renewal PDF and see how much they're gonna fleece me for a seat next season

Comment

Cheers... what seats actually get used for the NFL, will have to see...!
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                Cheers... what seats actually get used for the NFL, will have to see...!
                                There are no changes in seating between the NFL and football modes of the stadium, they use the full capacity for both sports.

At Wembley they don't sell the first 15 or so rows of the lower tier because you wouldn't be able to see over the heads of all the people standing on the sidelines of an NFL game, the seats are too low.

At the new Spurs stadium as the NFL pitch is about two metres below the football pitch (the football pitch slides out and is stored under the south stand) so they don't have that problem. In NFL mode, the front row is well above the height of the pitch so you get an unrestricted view, no need to tarp off any seats.

Comment

Working...
                                X