No announcement yet.

Official Amiga Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to look at in a couple of weeks, once my hols start.

Comment

He said right now!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        Hoping to look at in a couple of weeks, once my hols start.
        Fair enough. I mean, the capacitors are emptying crap onto the tracks on your motherboard as I’m typing this but sure, wait a couple of weeks.

Comment

Off the top of my head for games recommendations,

Anything by the Bitmap Brothers and also Cinemaware is interesting to look at.
          Hostages
          FA-18 Hornet was an early 3D sim shooter but amazing for its time.

If you have an accelerator (on my A500 I had a GVP A530 with a '030 processor) then F1GP really is the dogs bollocks.
          F-117A Nighthawk also works very well with a beefier processor.

Comment

Ooh must try F1GP on this Vampire A2000!

If you want an Amiga for something other than just games then the route I took I think I’m happy to recommend:

Amiga 2000. It’s a big box so plenty of space inside for stuff. No need to choose between an original floppy and a gotek (usb based floppy emulator), have both. Shouldn’t be too much expensive to pick up as they aren’t that desirable to most people.

On its own the A2000 is a bad buy though. Regular accelerators, network cards, hires gfx, scsi drives, ram expansion etc for the A2000 you’re looking at old, rare boards whereas something like an A600 has modern made cheap devices that are small enough to fit inside the tiny case. However, instead of buying a bunch of different devices to expand an A600 instead buy an A2000 and Vampire V2+ for A500/A2000 amigas. This will give you a 68080 cpu and fpu at approximately 4 x the speed of the fastest 68k based Amiga ever made (105mips) and nearly 200 times quicker than a stock A500. You also get 128MB of ram, an ide interface, a micro sd slot that you’ll soon be able to boot from, retargetable 24bit graphics (like the old Picasso boards) and an hdmi output. Also a connector that lets you put a £3 Ethernet port in there. The v3 update will give you AGA graphics too. Theoretically you’ll be able to play every Amiga game ever made. Run Shapeshifter on there and you have a Macintosh running os 8.5 faster than any real 68k mac ever made.

You could do all of that with an A600 or A500 of course but you’d have to drill holes in the back of the case for the hdmi and Ethernet ports. If you don’t mind it looking a bit ghetto then that’s a cheap option though!

It’s not important to recap Amiga 500,1000,2000 or 3000s; if and when their capacitors fail they do so slowly and safely, unlike 600,1200 and 4000 models which destroy the motherboard.

Sorry, but of a brain dump but maybe useful for anyone toying with the idea.

One last thing, unlike consoles you want a PAL Amiga, not NTSC.

Comment

Oh man, I forgot about Rocket Ranger!

Comment

So are there any RPGs like Zelda or Secret of Mana? Or even anything turn-based?

Comment

RPGs are all of the western variety so Goldbox games, Ultimas, Amberstar/Ambermoon and so on.

Space Rogue looks really interesting to me. It's a space sim/rpg from Origin, like Elite except you can get out of your ship and walk around/interact with npcs...etc

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  I have 2 monitors hooked up :-)My workbench launches onto a 1080p LCD. The Vampire has RTG GFX support so I have a screen res of 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz on there. When I launch anything that needs a regular amiga screen resolution though that comes out through regular RGB onto my Amiga 1081 CRT. I did have the 1081 lined up to sell but a couple of days before I was going to transport it I tested it out and there was a horrendous buzzing so had to call the sale off. With hindsight I now think that was caused by having the volume turned way up with no audio input going into it because it seems fine now!!I'll post some pics of the setup once I tidy it a bit.
                  Yes you did, to me! I'm still interested in that monitor btw but it sounds like it's taken up a more permanent residence in your setup

It's funny seeing this thread pop up as it did, I saw Turrican 2 and Dungeon Master in Cash Converters shortly afterwards. Maybe it's a sign

I wonder if those disks have been tested...
                  Last edited by Cepp; 07-07-2019, 02:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Amiga 1081 CRT.

The Commodore 1084S was my first monitor. It failed after 18 months -- and was then replaced with a Phillips 8833-II.

I really liked this Phillips monitor with the Amiga. Have great memories of playing games like Speedball 2, Lotus, and Kick Off 2 etc... for hours and hours with friends. Used to sit really close to the screen, so the size didn't really matter.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-07-2019, 09:01.

Comment

[MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION] I don’t intend keeping it long term mate and you have first dibs. It’s really only in use because I couldn’t find enough hdmi cables to use the ossc and haven’t moved the indivision flicker fixer out of the A600.

Remember UFO Enemy Unknown if you want something turn based. The precursor to the XCom games.

Comment

Commodore has no real presence in Japan post Vic 20 so no Amiga games came out of there really and as mentioned all rpgs were western in nature. Shadowlands might be the closest thing but can’t remember if that was turn based. I think it wasn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

The Commodore 1084S was my first monitor. It failed after 18 months -- and was then replaced with a Phillips 8833-II.
                          I really liked this Phillips monitor with the Amiga. Have great memories of playing games like Speedball 2, Lotus, and Kick Off 2 etc... for hours and hours with friends. Used to sit really close to the screen, so the size didn't really matter.
                          I had the Philips 8852 which was a higher spec unit, never seen another one in the wild used to go to a big 'computer club' every Thursday and mine was the only one and often got some nice comments.

It had a better pixel pitch, it was clearly sharper and had a lovely matt black screen (the 8833 had a shiny grey screen), am sure it had more available pixels and more controls for the screen horizontal and vertical stretch and move but I could be talking rubbish.
                          It also came with a swivel stand.

Only problem was it used to go through on/off switches at a fair lick, thankfully it was a common type and available in any electrical spares shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Oh man, I forgot about Rocket Ranger!
                            The graphics by Cinemaware were jaw dropping. Best game of theirs or me was TV Sports Football, was just getting into the NFL and used to play this to death with a couple of my mates. It actually played a really good game.

Wings was one of their last games but actually quite serious, the instructions came with wonderfully researched text about just how hard it was for the WWI pilots with real stories from the front line.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                              I had the Philips 8852 which was a higher spec unit, never seen another one in the wild used to go to a big 'computer club' every Thursday and mine was the only one and often got some nice comments.

It had a better pixel pitch, it was clearly sharper and had a lovely matt black screen (the 8833 had a shiny grey screen), am sure it had more available pixels and more controls for the screen horizontal and vertical stretch and move but I could be talking rubbish.
                              It also came with a swivel stand.

Only problem was it used to go through on/off switches at a fair lick, thankfully it was a common type and available in any electrical spares shop.
                              I only ever saw one 8852 in the wild, at CEX one year. Higher spec than the common 8833 as you say but it actually had less controls and no headphone socket.

I had a Taxan Multisync so I could use the Productivity screenmodes etc. That was lovely. Wish I still had it.

Comment

Loved the Amiga. Spent most of my time on Mod Trackers, Deluxe Paint, Hunter, and the Lucasfilm point and click games. Oh and Kick Off 2 and Sensi.

I used to sink loads of time into Hunter. I had no idea what I was doing. I would just explore and find vehicles to kill myself in. It was basically GTA3.

Comment

Working...
                                X