This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Film Stories podcast:
    "In The Line Of Fire nearly starred Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro, but when it did get made, there were ‘conversations’ over who was responsible for its success."

In the latest episode of Film Stories with Simon Brew, the thriller that fuelled a split between two companies, and an early digital filming forerunner. 1993’s In The Line Of Fire nearly starred Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro, but when it did get made, there were ‘conversations’ over who was responsible for its success. Meanwhile, 2002’s 28 Days ... Podcast: In The Line Of Fire (1993) and 28 Days Later (2002)

Comment

I had to check - the film is 26 years old and the Universal show is still going! How? How?!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Never seen Waterworld and I'd like to. It's funny you mention a 'stunt show' feel, because Universal Studios did actually have a Waterworld stunt show (as you may know). It was pretty cool!
        I didn't know about it until I watched some extras and read a few bits. It makes perfect sense. Something that amazed me in the making of was the scene with the water-skiers being pulled by the plane. In reality its helicopters pulling them along with a real plane flying into the shot to make it appear its that. But they're in pretty close proximity and the water-skiers are being pulled along at 60/70mph!! Imagine wiping out at that speed?! Don't remember Colt Seavers ever singing about a stunt quite like that

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          From the Film Stories podcast:
          "In The Line Of Fire nearly starred Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro, but when it did get made, there were ‘conversations’ over who was responsible for its success."

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/podcas...ys-later-2002/
          Interesting. I was reading on the Wikipedia page that Cruise was also in the running, but his people wanted the story modified to accommodate the fact that he was only 28 at the time. A key part of the protagonist's backstory - and this isn't a spoiler, it's setup - is that he was part of the Secret Service retine for JFK when he got assassinated. Of course that wouldn't have been possible with Cruise.

@Neon Ignition Did not realise that the Universal show is still there at the Hollywood park

Theme park stuff tends to stick around for an absolute age though. One of the worst examples of that has to be Disney's Aerosmith Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, which is still present in Paris and Orlando. It's going to become an Iron Man ride soon, thank goodness.

The actual coaster nuts 'n' bolts are solid but the theming is just cringemaking and totally irrelevant.

Comment

Out of Sight

If you looked at the poster for this film and nothing else, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's the worst kind of late 90s/early millennium thriller tripe. The sort of film that has posters with pull quotes from Heat magazine describing it as 'The sexiest film of the year'. Maybe it's just me, but Clooney and J Lo as a combo does not inspire confidence...

But it's actually a barnstormer of an adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel. It actually captures what his books are like, which is a beautiful thing. It's funky, laconic, and fast paced too. It has great dialogue. There is wonderful chemistry between Clooney, Rhames and J Lo as the leads. It's got a cool-as-all-get-out soundtrack. And because it's based on a Leonard, it's got a terrific story.

The premise is simple. Clooney is a bank robber who got busted. He breaks out of jail, and plans to head for one last big score with his buddy Rhames. But federal marshall J Lo won't let them get far. Or will she?

Highly, highly, highly recommended. I absolutely loved it.

It's on Prime Video right now in common or garden HD, but Kino Lorber will be dropping a UHD later this year which I'll be picking up.
            Last edited by wakka; 22-07-2021, 15:33.

Comment

Out of Sight is a class film. The soundtrack by David Holmes often gets a spin in the car. And how cool is it that Michael Keaton plays the same character as he does in Jackie Brown (obviously both from Elmore Leonard novels).

My fave line in the film is probably down to Ving Rhames' delivery: That's a big ass house. Always makes me laugh

Comment

The soundtrack is such a banger, isn't it?

My favourite bit is when Snoopy is shaking down Ripley in prison, and Clooney's character cuts across their conversation.

Clooney: "$500 for a pillow?"

Ripley: "I did think that seemed kind of a lot"

Snoopy: "It's goose down mother****er"

So many laugh out loud bits like that, delivered totally deadpan

Comment

Another fan of the soundtrack (it's probably better than the film, if I'm honest).

One of the lines that has stuck with me since I saw it is where Kenneth (Isaiah Washington) is trying to intimidate Karen (Jennifer Lopez) and he threatens to sexually assault her:

"Do you like the fights? You like the rough stuff?
                  Yeah, I bet you do. You like to get down and tussle a little bit?

Like me and Tuffy, before she got run over. We used to get down on the floor and tussle all the time.
                  I'd say to her, "You a good bitch, Tuffy. Here's a treat for ya."
                  And I give Tuffy what all good bitches love best, and you know what that is?
                  Know what that is? A bone.

I'll give you a good bone too, girl."

Obviously, it's an uncomfortable scene and he gets thwacked, but the thing I take away from that scene is that it sounds like he used to enjoy having sex with his dog, Tuffy...

Comment

Watched Crawl on Film4 last night.

Nothing you've not seen before in a survival horror; The Shallows (better) and 47 Meters Down comes to mind - they're both shark based rather than alligators but the latter in particular is essentially a similar two hander type of movie.

Crawl is certainly nowhere near the best in genre with a lot of forgettable dialogue but generally competent and manages to create enough tension at times to keep your interest.

Oddly, almost as though they were putting it into perspective, they followed it afterwards on Film4 by A Quiet Place which when I first watched it only a few months ago I found the most enjoyable and interesting survival horror film I'd seen in ages.

Comment

Jumanji: Next Level

Surprisingly good. First time I’d heard Kevin Hart doing a character other than Kevin Hart. Even the rabbit in Secret Life of Pets was basically Kevin Hart.

Horrible Bosses

Silly fun.

Alien

Slow burn horror. Wonderful.

Aliens

James Corden doing what he does best. Everyone’s on point. Such a brilliant, kick ass action flick.

Alien 3

Only joking. I’ll watch it next week.

Comment

I watched The Meg. It’s got a big shark in it.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                          Jumanji: Next Level

Surprisingly good. First time I’d heard Kevin Hart doing a character other than Kevin Hart. Even the rabbit in Secret Life of Pets was basically Kevin Hart.

Horrible Bosses

Silly fun.

Alien

Slow burn horror. Wonderful.

Aliens

James Corden doing what he does best. Everyone’s on point. Such a brilliant, kick ass action flick.

Alien 3

Only joking. I’ll watch it next week.
                          Make sure Alien 3 is the directors cut. Its the better version.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Make sure Alien 3 is the directors cut. Its the better version.
                            It’s the Assembly Cut! I’ve seen it before and it transformed the film.

Comment

Aliens

Erm, u wot m8?!

Comment

It’s the Assembly Cut! I’ve seen it before and it transformed the film.
                                Yeah that's the one.

Comment

Working...
                                X