Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection

This is how you remaster an old game. My god, what an amazing job. It's published by EA and developed by Petroglyph Games, which is a studio created by former Westwood Studio devs.

This collection features the first Command & Conquer, Red Alert and all of the expansion packs plus the console only content fully remastered in one package.

When the game first starts up it takes you through the old dos setup screens. The visuals upgrade along the way. You get to the sound card setup screen and the game scrolls past all of the old ISA sound cards to "High Definition Sound" at the bottom. It's really well done and gives a taste of what's in store.

You start the first mission and the game is zoomed in using the old graphics. Everything's large and blocky. The game prompts you to press the space bar which switches everything out for their remastered counterparts in real time. The remastered artwork captures the style of the original perfectly. You can switch between the two on the fly and zoom in and out with the mouse scroll wheel. There are QoL improvements such as unit queuing and using right click to zoom around the map. You can disable that if you want the original experience or mix and match as you please.

The audio is godike. All of the music has been remastered by Frank Klepacki and bonus tracks are also featured. You can, if you want, select the original low quality recordings for the music, voices and sfx.

EA has released the source code with the launch of the game and a mod sub menu is present out of the box. There's a ton of people playing online but I'm far to chicken **** to try it.

There's also lots of behind the scene bonus content which looks like it unlocks as you progress through each game.

The game is £17.99 on Steam and Origin and is currently the number one best seller. If you like RTS games you should pick this up immediately.

Sometimes I'm playing through a mission and I just want to stop and listen to the music. They put so much love and care into this, I'm frankly amazed it came from EA. Incredible.
    Last edited by Cepp; 07-06-2020, 16:21.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    which switches everything out for their remastered counterparts in real time. The remastered artwork captures the style of the original perfectly.
    I dunno, looks a bit like clipart to me.

Comment

I've been playing this all weekend. My god its bloody hard and very unforgiving and im playing on normal, i refuse to drop to easy mode. Been mainly playing Red Alert and have to be honest that on more than one occasion I had to just walk away from my PC in pure anger/frustration, dosnt help the pathfinding is still as awful as it was back in the 90's, but seem much more noticeable that i remember from back in the day. Despite this it is just brilliant im having so much fun, some missions are taking me an hour to complete but it is so damn satisfying to eventually adjust my strategy and win. Dont often experiance that senstation with games today, absolutely no hand holding at all.
      Last edited by gambit6613; 08-06-2020, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
        I've been playing this all weekend. My god its bloody hard and very unforgiving and im playing on normal, i refuse to drop to easy mode. Been mainly playing Red Alert and have to be honest that on more than one occasion I had to just walk away from my PC in pure anger/frustration, dosnt help the pathfinding is still as awful as it was back in the 90's, but seem much more noticeable that i remember from back in th. Despite this it is just brilliant im having so much fun, some missions are taking me an hour to complete but it is so damn satisfying to eventually adjust my strategy and win. Dont often experiance that senstation with games today, absolutely no hand holding at all.
        I spent an hour locked in a war of attrition last night completing one of the GDI missions. Only at the end, when I destroyed the last SAM site and was suddenly able to call in airstrikes, did I realise I'd made things significantly more difficult for myself

I'm so bad at these games, but I love 'em.

Comment

I used to be pretty good at C&C in the 90's when i was younger, seems now im approaching 40 my hand/eye co-ordination is knowhere near what it was, or could perhaps be that i have gotten so used to having many games nowadays holding my hand i have forgotten how things once were. But having said that i've been playing the Allied Red Alert campaign and its bloody hard but i think i recall finding it hard all those years ago, i think the Soviet campaign was much easier.

Comment

Just finished the GDI campaign after one hell of a final battle. You can select the alternate missions from a menu here which is nice but I think I'm going to give NOD a go first.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              You can select the alternate missions from a menu here
              Thought it was quite cheeky, but a lot of these missions where you get a choice which one to take, are the same Some have the same objectives but on different maps but there are actually some that are literallly copy pasted missions.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                Thought it was quite cheeky, but a lot of these missions where you get a choice which one to take, are the same Some have the same objectives but on different maps but there are actually some that are literallly copy pasted missions.
                Yeah it's a bit cheeky haha.

Most of my experience with the series is with the Red Alerts and Tiberium Sun so it's been a lot of fun to play through the original. The NOD campaign was smooth sailing until mission 7 which is proving a little tricky. You need to train some engineers and fly them over to the enemy base to capture it and have to sell your construction yard to fund it. Then you need to quickly train some more troops to fend off the GDI and build some sam sites to stop airstrikes.

The airstrikes took me out during my last attempt but once I have those sam sites up and running it shouldn't too difficult.

Comment

Finished both campaigns for the original game and I have to say, although the GDI campaign is fantastic and a lot of fun, the NOD campaign is an exercise in frutration after mission 7. Almost every mission starts with you having to take over an enemy base, navigate terrain through fog of war and running into enemy units, constantly reloading to take a diferent routes, then getting rushed by the CPU, which has infinite money and spams units. Not to mention the constant double airstrikes.

Not fun tbh, and it lets the game down a bit. I turned God Mode on for the last few missions. Life is too short.

Still, the GDI missions were really good. I'll probably take a small break before jumping into Red Alert though.

Comment

Working...
                  X