Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was very obvious to me that large physical offices, especially city centre ones, were a dying breed and have been for some time. The main reason they're getting converted to (usually slum-level) housing stock is because you simply can't get rid of them at a decent price any more. Landlords and businesses supporting them should have seen that change coming from a mile off and while the Covid-19 situation has accelerated it, the working-from-home revolution was always going to arrive at some point.

I'm glad it has - I always hated pointlessly driving to the city centre to set up my same laptop on their desk. It's brilliant that I don't have to make a packed lunch the night before, hurriedly get washed/dressed in the morning, drive in with all the traffic, sit there all day being pecked by tedious "I want to see rows of heads" middle-management, drive back. I appreciate some people miss the social side of it, but I don't think that justifies the existence of these outdated working practices and people in that position should probably consider changing to a job where you do need to physically be there rather than dragging everyone else into their pointless ordeal. I love being on my own during the working day, I can get my work done and see my friends after.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      I love being on my own during the working day, I can get my work done and see my friends after.
      While I'm glad that more people who want to do this will be able to do it, I'm really hoping that I don't end up working from home any more than I need to. I absolutely hate it.

Comment

It probably depends a lot on what your home situation is like and what your office situation is like. Some years back, our place moved to a huge open plan office and I absolutely detest it, I can't put into words how much I hate it. I can hear every single word of every idiot there and when certain people are speaking I simply can't work. It is my idea of hell.

Home working, I just have the laptop on the desk and nobody bothers me. It's just peaceful and the day seems to fly by, I don't get lonely. I can cook myself a nice omelette and eat it at the dining table instead of having a clap cold sandwich in the car. I can actually just do my work instead of worrying so much about whether it looks like I'm working hard to the nosy middle-managers. I can listen to music instead of a load of old bags relentlessly going on about what happened on Strictly. It's just brilliant and I can't get enough of it, it's turned a job I hate into one I actually don't mind.

Comment

Plus, people tend to get all "offended" if you just stop working and have a wank in the office.

Comment

It's beginning to look like in the majority of Coronavirus cases the immunity left after infection is all but gone within 10-12 weeks.

Comment

Which would put an end to the herd immunity nonsense which, in the absence of a vaccine, relied on so many baseless assumptions and a total acceptance of a high level of infection and death to even get close to being considered a real thing that might happen, never mind being a desirable strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                It probably depends a lot on what your home situation is like and what your office situation is like. Some years back, our place moved to a huge open plan office and I absolutely detest it, I can't put into words how much I hate it. I can hear every single word of every idiot there and when certain people are speaking I simply can't work. It is my idea of hell.
                Yeah; it depends on what you do, but I love that. Then again my job involves coordinating a bunch of people and trying to make sure everyone has some say in the work we do, so being at home makes that exponentially harder.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                  Plus, people tend to get all "offended" if you just stop working and have a wank in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...latest-updates
                    It's beginning to look like in the majority of Coronavirus cases the immunity left after infection is all but gone within 10-12 weeks.
                    So when is the significant surge in cases going to happen? As late lockdowners and lax observers of the regulations the UK should have been showing a rise in new reported cases with those re-infections added.

Ten to twelve weeks ago (mid-April) was the height of the above seasonal average deaths, mostly due to C-19, and peak of reported cases so if this re-infection threat is correct we should have been seeing a steep rise even before the start of July.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...study-suggests

Those with existing immunity look set to lose it in the coming months as the UK resets to square one
                      A couple of important things to bear in mind from that article though
                      "The immune system has multiple ways to fight the coronavirus but IF antibodies are the main line of defence, the findings suggested people could become reinfected in seasonal waves and that vaccines may not protect them for long."

"But Prof Arne Akbar, an immunologist at UCL, said antibodies are only part of the story. There is growing evidence, he said, that T cells produced to fight common colds can protect people as well. Those patients who fight the virus with T cells may not need to churn out high levels of antibodies, he added."

Immunity is very complicated from what I can see and there isn't yet a definitive answer to this. There is ongoing research into the other immune responses.

Comment

I thought T cells were for fighting the T virus from raccoon city?

If hers immunity is off the cards then so is a vaccine no? Works the same way.

Comment

There always seemed to be a pretty wide suggestion that any immunity, if it existed at all, could likely be short lived and it hasn’t put anyone off working on a vaccine so I don’t think it’s as simple as being ruled out. But the nature of it and form it takes could be different. Again it goes way back but there were always suggestions that it could be like a flu jab and needs to be reapplied on a fairly regular basis. I don’t know. All I know is that experts are working on it and I’m just waiting to hear how they get on.

Comment

They should be focusing their efforts on creating us permanent fitted face masks, like Bain. We can consume nutrients through a straw plus we wouldn’t need teeth.

Comment

After a lot of back and forth masks will become mandatory in England supermarkets and shops from 24 July in a move that I can easily imagine was decided on only when someone at No.10 said 'but if we make them mandatory everyone will need to buy them which will help the economy!'

Comment

They were probably delaying it while they waited for some Cummings-owned company to get a few truckloads of cheap masks in before the prices went up.

Comment

Working...
                                X