PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Pricing is going to be important for this.

I also don't see it launching before there's a steady, free supply of PS5 available.
    £199 would be an insane price.
    £299 is probably about right.

Comment

Yep, maybe £350. There's a real need to balance tech but also absolutely no reason at all to believe that PSVR2 will take off any more so than PSVR did so Sony will need to balance marketability with not losing too much per unit sold. Given PSVR panned out reasonably well for them I assume they'll emulate its release.

Comment

If all PSVR titles are playable at increased resolution/framerate this will fly off the shelves. It is exactly what people have been waiting for (apart from the wire).

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          If all PSVR titles are playable at increased resolution/framerate this will fly off the shelves. It is exactly what people have been waiting for (apart from the wire).
          Yeah that's a point. A 4k headset would be tasty. Even upscalling the older games, something like Wipeout would be sexy.

Comment

If I'm right in thinking given the way games are for VR there's unlikely to be any real improvements from a framerate perspective. Resolution wise the Quest 2 is 1832x1920 which is I think absolutely the highest PSVR2 is going to deliver. It's better but still somewhat fuzzy.

Flitting back and forth between PSVR and Quest 2, the difference is noticeable but nothing distracting. Not like say going from a 1080p screen to a 4K. It'll be interesting to see what sony brings to the table software wise though, their own games are well above the quality of most releases there just aren't anywhere near enough of them and it's likely PSVR2 will in effect see less new software than PSVR1 did because most of the worthwhile titles have already been released and the developer drive outside indies doesn't really exist anymore.

Alyx is about as high budget a game as they come but next-gen it isn't so potentially the exclusives to PSVR2 from Sony may be our only window into what next-gen VR truly looks like.

Comment

I've not been following along too closely, but is there any guarantee yet that PS4VR games will work? What with the totally new configuration, fancy hand doodads and the like, on one hand yes I'm excited for what new VR experiences look like, but are we expected to keep the old gear about for existing VR games?

Comment

I'd imagine it'll work fine but we'll still need a DS4 on standby

Comment

Going from a psvr to a reverb the difference is insane. It’s like going from standard def to hd, or hd to 4K

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    I've not been following along too closely, but is there any guarantee yet that PS4VR games will work? What with the totally new configuration, fancy hand doodads and the like, on one hand yes I'm excited for what new VR experiences look like, but are we expected to keep the old gear about for existing VR games?
                    With the first PSVR working on PS5, it'll be very surprising if the new setup doesn't work with the older games.

Games might need patches, but I think they'll work in general.

Comment

We Got One!!

First PSVR2 game in a way

Comment

Bloomberg reports that PSVR2 will use Samsungs new OLED screens and will launch Xmas 2022

Comment

Same Bloomberg that's been telling us about the Switch Pro, yeah?

Comment

I dunno, Bloomberg's people are generally pretty well connected. I'd be willing to bet that the Switch Pro is ready to go, and Nintendo are sitting on it right now for whatever reason (probably to drop it at the end of the year for Christmas).

It's an interesting nugget - I think Xmas 2022 sounds plausible for PSVR 2. That will be an expensive November, picking up a Series X for Starfield and PSVR 2 in the same month

Comment

Make it more affordable by waiting till Bethesda has patched out all the bugs and glitches from Starfield... nevermind, they never will

Comment

You're talking to a man who played 250 hours of Skyrim on the PS3...I'm battle hardened at this point. Bethesda can't make a game buggy enough to dissuade me (not for lack of trying).

Comment

Working...
                                X