Headhunter Redemption review in Official Xbox Magazine, 34, October 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headhunter Redemption review in Official Xbox Magazine, 34, October 2004

Does anyone recall the review for Headhunter Redemption in the UK version of Official Xbox Magazine? Issue 34, from october 2004?

It's the one where the reviewer complained about the bike sections, despite RR having no bike sections. It prompted this open letter from the developer Amuze:

Dear Official Xbox Magazine (UK),

As a fiercely independent games developer, we totally respect the right of
    reviewers to make harsh but heartfelt criticism of games released to the
    public. But like all rights, this comes with responsibilities.

Foremost of these must surely be factual accuracy. In your review of
    Headhunter Redemption (Issue 34, October 2004), you claim that cut scenes
    "can't be skipped... Grrr!" This is incorrect: all cut scenes in the game
    are skippable. Grrr, indeed.

More mysteriously, you conclude your review by stating that "the odd bike
    chase succeeds in breaking up the on-foot action." There are no biking
    sequences in Headhunter Redemption: a fact that would be apparent to anyone
    who had actually played the game.

Naturally we would prefer everyone to appreciate our game as much as many
    other reviewers have done, but we will always try to learn from
    well-informed criticism. It is far harder to accept ill-informed,
    unprofessional journalism.

Perhaps in future you could show us, other developers and your readers this
    simple courtesy: if you can't be bothered to play a game, don't bother to
    review it.

John Kroknes
    Philip Lawrence

Amuze.
    I've been trawling for hours online and can find no trace of this review, no scans, no archives of the magazine itself. the Wayback Archive (archive.org) only has copies of the US magazine, which obviously does not have this review.

This feels like a serious piece of games history, a travesty of journalism, and yet it's never been archived, it's not available, and the reviewer (who would have been named) never interviewed about how and why this happened. I have my own horror stories of fiascos working on games mags, but this feels like one of the biggest (just before my time sadly).

Does anyone have the mag? Can I buy it? Can you scan the mag or review?

I was thinking of writing a feature on the Headhunter games, and now I've become mildly obsessed with this cornerstone of their history. What happened here?!

EDIT:

Some context:
    I can t remember what magazines it was, but one came with a CD Rack, and then a DVD rack in the PS2 era. Another came with a WWF sticker album...I think that one was Total PlayStation. Singular demo discs were also a popular occurrence to try and com..

Compare and contrast to how Official Xbox Magazine handled the Headhunter Redemption review. Their reviewer didn't have enough time to play it properly so made up a few bits & pieces about a vehicle section that didn't exist, and when they were called out on it (by readers and the developers), the reviewer claimed he was talking about a cut scene. Except he wasn't. So they then just deleted the thread on their message board and started banning anyone who mentioned it again.

How great it is to see a magazine not steadfastly stick to the whole 'we stand by our review' nonsense and just go 'yep, it was rubbish'...and so soon after reviewing it as well.

If it's the right one there's a copy on ebay atm

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 25100 Issue 50 Xmas Oficial Xbox Magazine 2005 at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Comment

That's the issue, but my curiosity hasn't quite reached £9 levels yet. It's more like £3.99 at the moment.

Comment

I can't believe they scrubbed the info so well. Found several 2004 era threads discussing it but at no point does anyone directly refer to or quote the mag, provide a photo or even the name of the reviewer - everything is about the Amuze letter.

Redemption was such an odd game. I've got such a soft spot for the original and Redemption was a phenomonal misread of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          I can't believe they scrubbed the info so well.
          This was before social media, so still possible.

I loved the first game, especially the bike sections. Redemption has sat on my shelf for years unplayed.

Neon Ignition, I think it's our duty to reignite public awareness in events. Let's create a revolution.

Comment

I'm genuinely intrigued to discover who wrote the review and given the publication it came from the writer stands a good chance to have gone on to work for other publications in subsequent years so I'm curious whether this was a one off incident that they got called out on or one of a pattern of bad behaviour either just by the writer or the magazine in general.

There definitely seems to be little chance of moving the investigation further though without the review itself. But - I'm in. All in.
            I've ordered the magazine and it's aiming to be here next Tuesday.

Comment

At carumba, things just got REAL! Since I've now roped you in to expending hard cash, I feel I should pick up the slack a little.

OK, I pm'd you my email in case I'm not around to keep track of this thread. I have no Twitter presence, and generally stay off social media, so when breaking this, it's all you NI.

My interest in this topic goes as follows: I was chatting with a friend about crazy stuff in games journalism and he brought this up. I wasn't aware of it, and so looked into it, and was reminded of the fact I interviewed John Kroknes of Amuze about 8 years ago, but did nothing with the material (since I ended up busy with my books). He never mentioned this, but I only asked about the first game. So I was thinking I'd dig into it more - but the mystery around this is so fascinating I've ended up totally pre-occupied by it.

Other stuff I've found:

There was a thread on RLLMUK:

This is interesting because Amuze apparently started an account purely to post their open letter. What followed was discussion amongst users, including then GamesTM editor Mart. There was also a lot of talk about EDGE's review from the time, which was also poorly written, making claims about boss fights being too easy and requiring no thought. Which users debated, since apparently each boss required a unique method to defeat.

EDGE 141:
              Most boss encounters can be solved by using an adrenaline booster - effectively giving you temporary invincibility - and then charging at them with a whole clip of machine gun fire.
              That RLLMUK thread is full of all kinds of interesting comments, from the time. We should probably archive the entire thread.

When I look at the OXM lies, and the EDGE review, it makes me sad because an entire team would have spent hundreds if not thousands of man hours trying to create something, only for the professional press at the time to **** all over their efforts. For reasons I can't fathom. Laziness? I don't mean they're not allowed to dislike the game, or not enjoy it, but as is evident, they did not even play it. Certainly OXM did not.

Here's the deleted URL for the official magazine topic:

Sadly Archive.org did not archive it, so it's lost. Meaning we have to rely on the memories of those who saw it.

GRcade thread

User KK states the following:
              Compare and contrast to how Official Xbox Magazine handled the Headhunter Redemption review. Their reviewer didn't have enough time to play it properly so made up a few bits & pieces about a vehicle section that didn't exist, and when they were called out on it (by readers and the developers), the reviewer claimed he was talking about a cut scene. Except he wasn't. So they then just deleted the thread on their message board and started banning anyone who mentioned it again.
              It would seem that the OXM reviewer responded directly to criticism before the thread was deleted. Given how the magazine styled itself, I reckon the reviewer probably was named and had a profile photo and mini-bio in the masthead section.

sirgruffil on RLLMUK seems to have followed the threads, noticing they were being deleted. I sent him a PM, but he stopped visiting the forum back in 2005.

OXM was Future Publishing, and I only ever worked at Imagine Publishing (circa 2006), so it wouldn't have been anyone in my circle. But a lot of weird **** went down in games mags back then (PR departments refusing review code, thereby forcing mags to pirate games; reviews done from online videos; Konami pulling all advertising for a month as punishment because their football game scored a 7; etc.).

For a little more context, here is Amuze's own page, quoting various magazines for Headhunter Redemption:
              Get insider access to top brands like Saint Laurent, Valentino, Gucci and more...

It's dead, but the archive has it still!

Official Xbox Magazine - 5.8/10 (Oct 2004, Issue 34)
              “The odd bike chase succeeds in breaking up the on-foot action but, at the end of the day, still can’t bring Headhunter the Redemption its title promises.”
              NOTE: HH:R features no bike chases either in game play or cut scenes.

Lacklustre, last-gen graphics aren’t helped by unimaginative, distinctly bland level design and repetitive environments.
              The OXM review states "last gen" graphics. Are they saying the Xbox game had PS1 and Saturn era graphics?

Also, would be worth looking at which mags were by Future Publishing. Both EDGE and OXM were, and I wonder if all the other low scoring mags were too. Xbox World certainly was:

Jesus, and look:
              Xbox World - 4/10 (Oct 2004, Issue 17)
              “…about as engaging as a sack of gravel.”
              I would not be surprised if that one reviewer did every review at Future. That's how mags worked. When I was at IP, you'd get a game to review, then would sometimes write "internal freelance" reviews for your sister mags. So you'd do the review for the main mag you were on, then to save time, resources, etc, another mag would freelance the review for that same game to you. Not always. Some editors didn't want the same person writing multiple reviews for the same game, but it did happen.

Also PSM2 magazine was by Future:

And:
              PSM2 - 53% (October 2004)

“The usual twisting plot of missiles and mass destruction… A lazy half-hearted jaunt through a menagerie of sci-fi action monotony.”
              So basically it looks like Future Publishing destroyed the Headhunter franchise by getting one dip**** to review HH for nearly every magazine they published? The only outlier here is GamesMaster magazine, also by Future, which gave a high score of 79%.

The plot: IT THICKENS!!

Obviously we can't be certain just yet - stage 1 is getting the catalyst for this. The OXM review. If we then get a reviewer's name, we can do some deep dive searches online, maybe check the Wayback Archive to see if those other mags are on there, cross-reference with Metacritic, compile a list of low-scoring mags at Future, and see if the same reviewer's name crops up.

But I'm just saying... Could it be one man ended an entire franchise and even the company?

How many people didn't buy Headhunter Redemption because of all this? Amuze shut down shortly thereafter:

Closure

Headhunter Redemption marked the last of the studio's games as they would later close down the Stockholm studio after a period of economic hardship in 2005.[1] O-Zone was going to be the studio's next gen title but was not finished before the studio shuttered.[1]

The official website was active, but not updated, for a period after the Stockholm studio closed in spring 2005. The website went offline in fall 2008. On its most productive year of 2003, Amuze employed 70+ staff in-house.
              So, like, could it be that 70 people lost their jobs because of one lazy reviewer?
              Last edited by Sketcz; 28-03-2020, 09:41.

Comment

I'm confused. There are bike sequences in the game. What are they saying didn't happen and how was it untrue?

Comment

The original had bike sections.

The sequel did not.

The sequel was scored lower because of these alleged bike sections. Which did not exist.

Comment

Ah. Totally didn't notice it said redemption. Soz

Comment

It's OK Charles. I forgive you. Neon Ignition though is a different story. Does he forgive? Who can say? 16 years after a fraudulent review and the man is spending £9 to buy a magazine so as to hunt down the person responsible. That's Liam Neeson levels of unforgiving.

Comment

Comment

I don't know who the reviewer is, but I will find him and I have a particular set of ebay feedback credentials

I did find that this Gaf thread from 2004 discusses the furore caused on the OXM forums about the review and Amuze's response to it. As a nugget to keep the investigation going till the magazine arrives (aka Physical Evidence Exhibit A) there is a quote in the thread that seems to at least identity the OXM username of the reviews author:

Funkymonkey... Chief Suspect No.1

"funkymonkey wrote:
                          I'll reply to this thread to set the record straight.

The review score HH: Redemption received was an honest reflection of the quality of the game.

As for factual inaccuracies, things seem to have been taken out of context.
                          I stated that cut-scenes couldn't be skipped becasuse, in the review code we were sent, no amount of Start / A / any button pushing could skip the cutscenes.

And as for mentioning the bike sections, again I was referring to the cutscenes."

Comment

Amazing thread guys. Genuinely really looking forward to the mag arriving

Comment

The Official Xbox Magazine has closed down, Eurogamer has learnt.OXM folded last week, with the magazine's last few rem…

A timely aside but OXM has just folded

Comment

Working...
                              X