No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Early Konami Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve always been a fan of the Darius games... giant robot fish are cool and the whole branching path progression adds to the longevity and mixes things up a bit.

Never really been into the Gradius or Parodius games, I don’t like the power up system.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post

Never really been into the Gradius or Parodius games, I don’t like the power up system.
      I don't really think much about the power up system, I just know I want the laser and lots of Options. Then I just enjoy what each series of games has to offer. The Parodius series is probably my favourite, but it's nice to have the more serious Gradius games as well.

Konami did a great job with Gradius back in 1985.

Comment

Gradius all day.

Yes I say it like this... Gray dee us

Comment

Gradius, ooooooh yes.

I always knew it as 'Nemesis' in my days as a boy. It was a game that captured my imagination in ALL regards...sonically, visually, aesthetically...the FEEL, the MUSIC, my god how elegant and advanced the power-up system was. There was nothing like this at the time.

The LASER. Best laser in a game *still* for me, a neon needle of pure electric death.

It's Iconic for me. When I was a child, I learnt to draw by drawing scenes out of Nemesis and Trojan, both games that had a very strong look n feel n sound to them, I really got into the feel of both those games, Nemesis (Gradius) in particular.

The music of both those games GREATLY motivates me.

And I'm not even lying. I hum this shish all the time, have it goin on in my brain, I find it a positive, motivational force.

Comment

I don't even think Gradius has dated.

It's timeless like Pac Man is.

And it was, is, and always will be joyous.

What a game. What a ****ing game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I've never used a ColecoVision, but it looks like quite an impressive piece of kit for its time. It's a machine I'm tempted to buy and investigate.

The impact won't be the same. My best friend and next door neighbour (at the time) got one and the system was leaps and bounds above anything else at the time, most of us were all used to ZX Spectrum and C64 gfx. The GFX were truly amazing and you really felt like you were playing near Arcade perfect games, Time Pilot was ace on the system.

My mate even gave me his ColecoVision and a load of games for nothing ,when he got his Master system and like a fool I was, I just gave it away to make room, when Iwas getting another SEGA console (the Saturn) .

Comment

I always like to have an even number of games to choose from. If you think Gyruss is better than the games featured, that makes the debate more interesting.
                Gyruss + Super Cobra or Juno First, to make it six in total

Yeah, Gyruss I love, always have, the music really does help enormously to drive you on. It IS hard to look past Gradius admittedly, but always had a soft spot for the big G as it's a bit different, although you could say it's a variation on Tempest.
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Clearly, Gradius is the correct answer. One of the very greatest shmup franchises of all-time.

Scramble has to get an honourable mention though, as it is clearly a massive influence on Gradius.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 26-06-2018, 17:11.

Comment

The intro sequence for Gradius Generation (aka Gradius Advance) retcons Scramble as the first game in the Gradius series timeline, which is ‘interesting’, but makes sense on some level.

Original Twinbee is an interesting take on the Xevious formula. Prefer Twinbee over Xevious, if I’m being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      G

Yes I say it like this... Gray dee us
                      I say it like that - but know it's more like 'Grad-ee-us' or something like that.?

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

I always knew it as 'Nemesis' in my days as a boy.
                      Yeah, all the terrible 8-bit computer versions will always be remembered as 'Nemesis' by people unlucky enough to buy it back in the day. I had the Amstrad version.

The music of both those games GREATLY motivates me.

And I'm not even lying. I hum this shish all the time, have it goin on in my brain, I find it a positive, motivational force.
                      Yeah, early arcade music that actually stands the test of time. Pure nostalgia on toast.

I don't even think Gradius has dated.

I played through it a few days ago - it hasn't dated. The visuals, sound, and gameplay are all sublime. Of course, it's more basic than the sequels, but it's still a great game.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      The impact won't be the same.
                      I bought an Atari 2600 a couple of years ago and could appreciate some of the better games for the system, so I'm sure I'd get some enjoyment from the ColecoVision. But I doubt I will be buying one, seeing the prices on eBay.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      Gyruss + Super Cobra or Juno First, to make it six in total

I maybe should have included those three. I will give Gyruss a go.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Scramble has to get an honourable mention though, as it is clearly a massive influence on Gradius.
                      I also like Scramble, but Gradius is my favourite of the bunch. Such a classic game - and the arcade cab had awesome art work. I still need to buy the poster.

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post

Original Twinbee is an interesting take on the Xevious formula. Prefer Twinbee over Xevious, if I’m being honest.
                      I've never liked Xevious, so TwinBee easily beats it in my book.

Comment

Gradius and Scramble for me. Probably Scramble takes it, as Gradius has been completely bettered by Parodius, whereas Scramble still offers something fairly unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                          Gradius and Scramble for me. Probably Scramble takes it, as Gradius has been completely bettered by Parodius, whereas Scramble still offers something fairly unique.
                          I have a Scramble tabletop game that's pretty good. It's still quite a fun arcade game to play now and then.

I'm a big fan of both the Gradius and Parodius series' of games. I'm happy that both exist, because it makes for loads of fun games. The Salamander games are also faves.

Comment

I bought an Atari 2600 a couple of years ago and could appreciate some of the better games for the system
                            One can appreciate gameplay and all that. But one needs to put them selfs back in 1984 and then the systems one was playing on was the C64, Zx Sprectrum or on the Atari or Mattel. The CBS system blew all them away and gave us Arcade gfx long before the main consoles came onboard. You'll never get that feeling back of seeing a game running on the system for the 1st time.

It was an amazing system, and I'm so gutted I gave it away too

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              You'll never get that feeling back of seeing a game running on the system for the 1st time.
                              Of course, you will never get those "wow!" moments again when going back to really old machines. Even the best games on the PS1 make you chuckle when you think they were thought of as amazing in their day.

But I can still appreciate the creativity in lots of old games. I was playing 'Crackpots' on the 2600 - and despite the graphics being very basic, the artist did a great job with the very limited tech. And sometimes, people do remakes using modern tech and the graphics often lose the charm despite being far higher resolution and using fancy effects etc....

So, exploring old consoles is more about admiring creativity and artistic skill, rather than expecting to be amazed technically. I really enjoy seeing what the most talented people managed to do with any given retro machine.

Comment

I find it very hard to like anything from the Atari 2600 lol. I still like the Intellivision gfx, but a huge part of that is my childhood memories of me and my brother and uncle playing its brilliant sports range of games and also fantastic gambling titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X