No announcement yet.

Amiga Games: The best of the bunch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games I respected, such as Leander, Shadow of the Beast, the entire Psygnosis collection Agony, Ork etc,
    Games I'd play the most often by myself, Dogs of War, Hybris ( great memories of playing that all summer)
    Two player games with friends, we'd role out Blood Money and Speedball 2 all evening. They'd always leave amazed, for the day, impressive games way ahead of their time.

Comment

Skeleton Krew: any good and better than the Megadrive version?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
        Skeleton Krew: any good and better than the Megadrive version?

I haven't played the Mega Drive version, but I do know that the CD32 version looks quite stunning. I need to go back to it.

Reminds me of 'Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters', which was quite impressive on the A500.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-07-2019, 02:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
          In 2019 I would say Stunt Car Racer, The Chaos Engine, Speedball 2, Lotus 2, Mega Lo Mania. Nuclear War a guilty pleasure. The rest are probably done better elsewhere.
          Mega-Lo-Mania is so much better on the Amiga than any other platform. The 16-bit console versions are missing so much speech compared to the original.

Seems strange these days to bemoan a lack of speech. I do wonder if kids these days appreciate what made games so impressive back when mass storage (if you can call an 880kb floppy “mass”) was so limited and RAM so expensive

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Mega-Lo-Mania is so much better on the Amiga than any other platform. The 16-bit console versions are missing so much speech compared to the original.
            Amiga games managed to use lots of samples. Speedball 2 on the Mega Drive is missing the "Ice cream, ice cream!" sample. I guess there are other examples.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Seems strange these days to bemoan a lack of speech. I do wonder if kids these days appreciate what made games so impressive back when mass storage (if you can call an 880kb floppy “mass”) was so limited and RAM so expensive
            I don't think kids today could appreciate that things like sound samples and speech seemed so special back in the day. Computer/console tech over the past 20 years hasn't had any of the limitations 8 & 16-bit machines had.

It's funny, because I still enjoy hearing speech samples, such as those found in Speedball 2. I'll never forget how impressive it was at the time. Feelings like that are a big part of nostalgia.

Comment

Working...
            X