Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 2

Alien vs. Predator
    Batsugun
    Daytona US
    In the Hunt
    Samurai Shodown
    Sunset Riders

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.

Some corkers in that list but my faves have to be:

- Daytona USA
    - Sam Sho
    - AvP

Comment

1) Daytona USA - Most prob the best Arcade racer ever made

2) SS II

3) Batsugun - Awesome shooter, with lovely music

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

3) Batsugun - Awesome shooter, with lovely music
        Yeah, really nice synth tunes that suit the game. The graphics are also well designed with excellent sprite work.

My choices:

1. Aliens vs. Predator: An expertly crafted beat 'em up that has stunning graphics and gripping gameplay.
        2. Daytona USA: There's something really special about this classic racer that keeps me coming back for more.
        3. Batsugun: A top quality old school shooter that is always a joy to play through.

The other games are also really good, but the three above mean more to me.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-06-2020, 13:25.

Comment

1) Daytona USA - after SF2 this sucked up the most of my change over the years. Truly exhilarating as a multiplayer and still great to this day. Better than Ridge Racer and Sega Rally IMO.

2) Samurai Shodown - absolutely love this game! Always wished for a console conversion BitD and was severely disappointed with the conversions when they finally came. This was the first SNK title I felt stood shoulder-to-shoulder with SF2 in terms of gameplay, and on top of that it added a nice twist with the weapons-based combat. Graphically it blew SF2 out the water.

3) Sunset Riders - this is going in by default as I never played AvP or Batsugun in the arcades until Arcade Club, and In The Hunt I’ve still not played to this day. Sunset Riders is still a great brawler (or run and gun? Not sure how to define it) so deserving of my third choice either way.

Comment

Will Daytona USA make everyone’s list? Now I’ve said that someone will want to be controversial.

I wonder if Outrun features in one of these, whether anyone would have the balls to drop that from their list?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              Better than Ridge Racer and Sega Rally IMO.
              Daytona USA has definitely had an enduring appeal that means it's still played in arcades today. So as much as I wouldn't say it's better than Ridge Racer and Sega Rally, it's certainly the most successful of the bunch. I think there's a timeless quality about it.

Samurai Shodown - absolutely love this game! Always wished for a console conversion BitD and was severely disappointed with the conversions when they finally came.
              I enjoyed the 3DO version on import. It may have been lacking in some ways, but I still thought it was impressive. I didn't have the luxury of an AES back then.

Sunset Riders is still a great brawler (or run and gun? Not sure how to define it) so deserving of my third choice either way.
              I'd say it's a run-'n-gun, seeing you run from left to right shooting the baddies. I have fond memories of playing it in the arcade and then getting the excellent SNES port. It's still a joy to play.

Will Daytona USA make everyone’s list? Now I’ve said that someone will want to be controversial.

I wonder if Outrun features in one of these, whether anyone would have the balls to drop that from their list?
              I'm pretty sure that Daytona won't make everyone's list. I've known people who don't enjoy how it plays.

OutRun will definitely feature at some point, plus many other classic racers.

Comment

This was the first SNK title I felt stood shoulder-to-shoulder with SF2 in terms of gameplay, and on top of that it added a nice twist with the weapons-based combat.
                Yeah, I'd seen it a load of times before I tried it and when I did I remember being so pleasantly surprised by how great it played. And SSII is up there with any Neo Geo release.

Comment

Dayton USA is the best game on that list. I still play the PS3 version.
                  I'd add Sunset Riders below it.
                  I don't have that much experience with the rest but I'd put In The Hunt in third.

Comment

Daytona is the only one I've played properly from that list, but it would make most of my favourite arcade game lists, so should definitely be on there.

If I were being sent to a desert island with only three of those games, I guess I would pick Batsugun as I really like shmups, then for the sake of some variety, perhaps Alien vs Predator because it always looked cool (although I'm guessing Samurai Showdown probably has more depth)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Yeah, I'd seen it a load of times before I tried it and when I did I remember being so pleasantly surprised by how great it played.
                      I remember being really impressed with the overall design and style of fighting action. It felt really fresh at the time.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                      I go back to the 360 port now and then and really enjoy it. I still love the whole design.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      perhaps Alien vs Predator because it always looked cool
                      AvP is incredibly cool and action packed. Some would say it's Capcom's best beat 'em up. Easily one of my genre faves.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-06-2020, 21:30.

Comment

And SSII is up there with any Neo Geo release.
                        Oh yeah SSII is the absolute nuts, but I know it more as an AES game when I first got mine circa 2000 rather than an arcade game. Although I did visit Brazil in 2001 and played it a bit in the arcades against the locals in Manaus. I was well happy to find such a buoyant scene there as arcades were long dead over here, and I’d say some 75% of all the machines in every arcade I visited were SNK titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          I remember when it first came to PS3, I had a Logitech G25 wheel and racing seat at the time ... felt so close to the arcade experience

Comment

I remember when it first came to PS3, I had a Logitech G25 wheel and racing seat at the time ... felt so close to the arcade experience
                            I can imagine! I'd love to give it a try under those conditions.

Comment

Oh yeah SSII is the absolute nuts, but I know it more as an AES game when I first got mine circa 2000 rather than an arcade game.
                              I also bought a copy of SSII when I finally got an AES. It's a really nice refined sequel.

Yeah, it must feel great to have a racing seat and play it with a wheel. I wish Sega would release a compilation of their classic racers.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-06-2020, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                              X