Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sega Power Supplies for Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32X, Master System, Game Gear etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Power Supplies for Mega Drive, Mega CD, 32X, Master System, Game Gear etc.

Hi all,
    Recently I decided to set up my Mega Drive II, Mega CD II and 32X. Unfortunately I couldnt remember which power supply went with which console, so I looked online to find out what the power requirements were for each console and compiled this list which I 'think' is right:-

PAL Mega Drive / 9V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

PAL Mega CD / 9V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

PAL Mega Drive 2 / 10V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug Outer Diameter 4.75mm, Inner Diameter 1.7mm

PAL Mega CD 2 / 10V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

PAL Mega Drive 32X / 10V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug Outer Diameter 4.75mm, Inner Diameter 1.7mm

Is this list correct?

Now I read a while ago that you dont need to worry about which power supply goes with which retro Sega console as 'if it fits, its right' and so far that seems to be alright, as the key difference appears to be that the PSU with the bigger plug (Master System, Mega Drive, Mega CD, etc) is tip/center negative, and the PSU with the smaller plug (Mega Drive II, 32X, etc) is tip/center positive.

However, Sega seems to have made alot of official UK power supplies and the plug/polarity is not the only difference between them. Many vary by +/-1V and upto 700mA.

So what I would really like to know is which model power supplies actually came with which system? I know its not important, and many might see this as irelevent - but I just want to know!

Heres a list of all the official UK power supply models I have found so far, along with pictures of my own PSU's and some from eBay:-

Sega Model No: 3084 9V DC 850mA / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

Sega Model No: 1602-05 10V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

Sega Model No: 3008-05 10V DC 500mA / Center Negative / Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Inner Diameter 2.1mm

Sega Model No: MK-1636-05 9V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug Outer Diameter - 4mm, Inner Diameter - 1.7mm

Sega Model No: MK-1636-05 10V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug Outer Diameter - 4mm, Inner Diameter - 1.7mm (Not a mistake, theres two different PSU's that have the same model number but different voltages!)

Sega Model No: 1492-05 ?

If anyone has anymore UK power supplies models I havent listed (Or models with a different specification) please let me know the details, or even better a pic if you can

Obviously some of the PSU's models will also be for the Master System, Master System II, Multi-Mega and Game Gear, which just makes it even more difficult

I guess this will be made even more difficult by the fact that many people 'mix and match' and also because most systems nowadays will have been bought second-hand meaning that you cant be sure if its the original power supply or not - but im hoping some people out there will know!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Link83; 21-11-2009, 11:25.

yep in general, if it fits and it's the right voltage, it's ok to use for DC power adapters.

Comment

I got all mine mixed up and ended up using which-ever one came to hand for the machine I was using at the time, and never had any problems.

Comment

I found this thread in google, why did I not look here 1st

Ok I have a Genesis 3 (the small full console jobbie) which of the PSU's above work on that mini beast then? Currently going through a stepdown but the provided plug is MK-1479 10V DC 0.3mA?

Also great to see the pics here but any chance of stating which consoles they work on?

Sega Model No: MK-1636-05 10V DC 850mA / Center Tip Positive / Plug Outer Diameter - 4mm, Pin Diameter - 1.7mm MD2?

Sega Model No: 1602-05 10V DC 1.2A Center Tip Negative - Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Pin Diameter 2.1mm Is this for MD1, Neo-Geo etc?

Comment

Wow, weird seeing this thread back! I actually made this thread because I wanted to know which power supply originally came with each console, but it didnt seem like anybody really knew for sure

Is the Genesis 3 power supply centre tip positive or negative? If you are unsure a photo of the adaptor would likely help. Sorry, I cant be more helpful...
          Last edited by Link83; 10-03-2009, 21:07.

Comment

The bigger plug works with MD1, Neo Geo, Famicom/SFC, Jaguar etc etc and the smaller one works with MD2.. and I think that's about it really.

Comment

Well if you can tell me if this is correct I can guess now?

Sega Model No: MK-1636-05 10V DC 850mA / Center Tip Positive / Plug Outer Diameter - 4mm, Pin Diameter - 1.7mm MD2?

Sega Model No: 1602-05 10V DC 1.2A Center Tip Negative - Plug Outer Diameter 5.5mm, Pin Diameter 2.1mm Is this for MD1, Neo-Geo etc?

I'l get some pics up in the next hour or so, basically the end looks similar to Sega Model No: MK-1636-05 on the Genesis 3 PSU im using.

Oh and size wise I cant see a difference *but I am blind*
              Last edited by ^Katsu; 10-03-2009, 21:31. Reason: blindness & size issues

Comment

I'l take a good pic 2mo if there is daylight my camera is pap in low light!

Comment

From the picture it looks like its centre tip positive (Its a little blurry, so best to double check with the little diagram on the label which says which is which - there are little lines drawing to a round circle with one pointing to the centre, and one to the outer circle)

I think the best adaptor would be the second Model MK-1636-05 (bottom picture) which outputs 10V DC 850mA / Center Tip Positive. I am sure I have read that the extra mA isnt important as the console will just draw what it needs - but i'd wait for somebody else to confirm that for sure!

Watch out for the other MK-1636-05 which outputs 9V!
                  Last edited by Link83; 10-03-2009, 22:58.

Comment

Well since this thread is back up again it got be intrigued once more as to what each Sega console actually needs - so far I have managed to confirm these:-

PAL Mega CD 2 - 10V DC 1.2A - Sega Adaptor Model No: 1602-05
                    PAL Mega Drive 2 & PAL Mega Drive 32X - 10V DC 850mA - Sega Adaptor Model No MK-1636-05 (10V version)

I should have noticed this to begin with, but if look at the bottom of each console the power requirements are stated on the base sticker, like this:-
                    Mega Drive 2------------Mega CD 2------------Mega Drive 32X

I dont suppose anybody else would be willing to take a picture of the base stickers on any of the following systems?:-

Master System
                    Master System 2
                    Mega Drive
                    Mega CD
                    Game Gear (Might be inside battery compartment)
                    MultiMega

If we could find out all of these we could finally state which adaptor was intended for which console(s)

I would also love a picture of the label on a Sega Adapter Model 1492-05 if anybody has one?

Thanks in advance
                    Last edited by Link83; 15-03-2009, 15:47.

Comment

More Sega Power Labels

I found this thread useful so I signed up and thought I'd make it more complete:

Megadrive Model 1 (Earlier High Definition Graphics Version)

Megadrive Model 1 (Later Non-High Definition Graphics Version)

Master System 2

Hope these help.

Comment

Originally posted by hargcore View Post
                        I found this thread useful so I signed up and thought I'd make it more complete
                        Thanks very much hargcore

I didn't think anyone was really that interested in this topic, but since I first posted I continued doing research into this, and (with a little help from eBay) I compiled some data about UK Sega consoles/mains adaptors, so now seems like an appropriate time to post it (Note that there are some corrections to the data in the original post, and I can no longer edit the original post as its more than two years old)

UK SEGA CONSOLE POWER REQUIREMENTS (OD = Outer Diameter, ID = Inner Diameter)
                        MASTER SYSTEM - MODEL NO. : 3005-05 / DC 9V 850mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MASTER SYSTEM 2 - MODEL NO. : 3006-05 / DC 9V 500mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MEGA DRIVE - MODEL NO. : 1600-05 / DC 10V 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MEGA DRIVE 2 - MODEL NO. : MK-1631-50 / DC 10V 0.85A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MEGA DRIVE 2 'VA4' - MODEL NO. : MK-1631-50 / DC 10V 0.3A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MEGA-CD - MODEL NO. : 1690-18 / DC 10V 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MEGA-CD 2 - MODEL NO. : MK-4102-50 / DC 10V 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MEGA DRIVE 32X - MODEL NO. : MK-84200-50 / DC 10V 0.85A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MULTI-MEGA - MODEL NO. : MK-4121-50 / DC 9.5V 1.3A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        GAME GEAR - MODEL NO. : 2110-50 / DC 9V 3W / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm

UK SEGA MAINS ADAPTOR MODEL NUMBERS
                        3084 - 9V DC 850mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        3008-05 - 10V DC 500mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        1602-05 - 10V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm
                        MK-1636-05 - 9V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MK-1636-05 - 10V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MK-1492-05 - 10V DC 300mA 3W / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm
                        MK-4122-05 - 9.5V DC 1.3A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm

'MATCHING' CONSOLE AND MAINS ADAPTOR (* = Confirmed, ? = Unconfirmed)

3084 9V DC 850mA = MASTER SYSTEM?
                        3008-05 10V DC 500mA = MASTER SYSTEM 2*
                        1602-05 10V DC 1.2A = MEGA DRIVE* / MEGA-CD* / MEGA-CD 2*
                        MK-1636-05 9V DC 850mA = MEGA DRIVE 2?
                        MK-1636-05 10V DC 850mA = MEGA DRIVE 2* / MEGA DRIVE 32X*
                        MK-1492-05 10V DC 300mA = MEGA DRIVE 2 with 'VA4' motherboard (1998)*
                        MK-4122-05 9.5V DC 1.3A = MULTI-MEGA*

PLUG TYPE - Standard Barrel Connector OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm (Centre Negative)

MASTER SYSTEM
                        MASTER SYSTEM 2
                        MEGA DRIVE / GENESIS
                        MEGA-CD / SEGA-CD
                        MEGA-CD 2 / SEGA-CD 2
                        UK/EUR/JPN GAME GEAR

PLUG TYPE - EIAJ-03 Connector OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm (Centre Positive)

MEGA DRIVE 2 / GENESIS 2
                        GENESIS 3
                        MEGA DRIVE 32X / GENESIS 32X / SUPER 32X
                        MULTI-MEGA / SEGA CDX
                        NOMAD
                        USA GAME GEAR

UK SEGA MAINS ADAPTOR PICTURES
                        3084 - 9V DC 850mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm

3008-05 - 10V DC 500mA / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm

1602-05 - 10V DC 1.2A / Center Negative / Plug OD 5.5mm, ID 2.1mm

MK-1636-05 - 9V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm

MK-1636-05 - 10V DC 850mA / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm

MK-1492-05 - 10V DC 300mA 3W / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm

MK-4122-05 - 9.5V DC 1.3A / Center Positive / Plug OD 4.75mm, ID 1.7mm

UK SEGA CONSOLE LABEL PICTURES
                        MASTER SYSTEM - MODEL NO. : 3005-05

MASTER SYSTEM 2 - MODEL NO. : 3006-05

MEGA DRIVE - MODEL NO. : 1600-05

MEGA DRIVE 2 - MODEL NO. : MK-1631-50

MEGA DRIVE 2 'VA4' - MODEL NO. : MK-1631-50

MEGA-CD - MODEL NO. : 1690-18

MEGA-CD 2 - MODEL NO. : MK-4102-50

MEGA DRIVE 32X - MODEL NO. : MK-84200-50

MULTI-MEGA - MODEL NO. : MK-4121-50

GAME GEAR - MODEL NO. : 2110-50

EXTRA INFO
                        The UK, European and Japanese Game Gear's use the bigger (5.5mm) centre negative plug, but USA Game Gear's use the smaller (4.75mm) centre positive plug

The US Genesis states it needs DC 9V 1.2A on the label, but the UK Mega Drive states DC 10V 1.2A, its strange that Sega states slightly different voltage requirements for what is basically the exact same console. This discrepancy also applies to other Sega consoles and mains adaptors, for instance the Master System 2 states it needs DC 9V 500mA on the label but the official adaptor outputs DC 10V 500mA. None of this really matters though as all the systems actually run on 5V internally and use a voltage regulator to lower the voltage, so the only downside of the 1V difference is the voltage regulator will run a tiny bit hotter. In other words dont worry if the adaptor or console says 9V or 10V - Sega didnt!

The Mega Drive 2 with a 'VA4' motherboard is interesting, basically this is similar to a Genesis 3 motherboard in a Mega Drive 2 shell (Both use the same Sega ASIC) You can read more info about Mega Drive motherboard revisions here:-

The 'VA4' was manufactured in 1998 (Yes, Mega Drive 2's were still being manufactured and sold in the UK in 1998!) The VA4 needs less current than older models so Sega included a new MK-1492-05 adaptor which is smaller and has a lower current output (0.3A/300mA) compared to the older MK-1636-05 adaptor (0.85A/850mA) You can use the old or new adaptor on the VA4, but you shouldn't use the new adaptor on an older Mega Drive 2 since they require more current than the adaptor outputs. This also means if you want to use a Genesis 3 in the UK you can use either an MK-1636-05 or MK-1492-05 mains adaptor (Think of this as being a bit like Xbox 360 power supplies, only without a special notched plug that only fits the correct revision)

Its also worth pointing out that whilst the numerous posts online which say "If it fits, its right" are sort of correct, there's a bit more to it than that. Quite a few of the adaptors may fit a different system but they wont be up to the task as they dont have a high enough mA/A current rating - for instance, using either Master System adaptors on a Mega Drive/Mega-CD/Mega-CD 2 is a bad idea, and so is using a standard Mega Drive 2 adaptor on a Multi-Mega. There is a good chance it may work for a while, but you run the risk of the adaptors overheating/dying/catching fire

If you are looking for a replacement adaptor the key points to take into consideration are:-
                        - The adaptor must output 9-10V DC.
                        - The adaptors mA/Amp current rating must be the same or higher than the console needs (Remember that 1A = 1000mA) An adaptor with a higher mA/Amp rating than the console requires is fine, as it will only use what it needs. If the adaptor provides less current than needed it could overheat as the console tries to draw more current than the adaptor can reliably provide.
                        - The plug obviously needs to be the correct size.
                        - Check if the plug polarity is centre negative or centre positive <This is is very important. The 'big' plug (5.5mm) is always centre negative, and the 'small' plug (4.75mm) is always centre positive

There is also still one unknown UK mains adaptor which I havent been able to find a close-up picture of, heres two blurry pics:-

If anyone has this adaptor please consider taking a picture!

I hope this info helps someone, and if you have any corrections or extra information to add please post

Disclaimer - I dont claim to be an expert on the above subject - all of the above text is based on my own experiences/research and info available online. Whilst I try to be as accurate as possible I take no responsibility should you destroy/blow up/etc your console from following the above info!
                        Last edited by Link83; 06-04-2011, 22:23.

Comment

Ignore.
                          Last edited by Pavey; 07-04-2011, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
                          X