OutRun: PC Engine or Mega Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OutRun: PC Engine or Mega Drive?

I think both have good and bad points. Overall though, I prefer the PC Engine version. I think it feels a bit better to play - and the music sounds a bit more authentic. Of course, the PCE edition is rough in all departments, but I think it's a decent port. The Mega Drive version isn't bad, but the graphics are a bit dull, and the music lacks oomph.

Which version do you prefer?

Game Works on the Dreamcast... that’s the version I’ve played the most.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      Game Works on the Dreamcast... that’s the version I’ve played the most.
      Well, I would agree that the Saturn & Dreamcast ports are where it's at, but this is simply about the much earlier PC Engine & Mega Drive ports. They ran on hardware that wasn't really suited to such a technically demanding racer as OutRun, so it's interesting to note the good & bad points of the PCE & Mega Drive ports. I think some people might say the MD version is better, but overall I prefer the PCE port.

Both a million times more convincing than the Amiga port, which should have been so much better.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-08-2018, 23:21.

Comment

PC Engine I’d say, it’s the least worst.

Comment

PCE version for me. As already mentioned, it feels more like the coin-op than the MD version does.

If we're talking best ever ports of OutRun, then the all-time top three are:

1) Saturn
          2) 3DS (Sega 3D Classics)
          3) Dreamcast (Yu Suzuki Game Works)

Admittedly, there isn't much in it between the three of them but, to be pedantic, the Saturn port has the official Ferrari licensing that the 3DS and DC ports don't have, making it a more 1:1 port which swings it for me.

Really surprised that 3D OutRun isn't getting more love on here. M2 did amazing work on the 3DS Sega 3D Classics games. I for one would love to see them remaster more classic games.
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-08-2018, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            PC Engine I’d say, it’s the least worst.
            As much as the PCE version is very rough around the edges, and has aspects to the graphics that look quite bad, I like the way it feels, and the music is really good despite being a bit crackly.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            PCE version for me. As already mentioned, it feels more like the coin-op than the MD version does.
            Yeah, the PCE version overall, feels more like the coin-op. There are aspects of the MD game that are superior, but the PCE version as a whole feels more convincing. I think the PCE port retains more of the magic of the coin-op than the MD version.

Really surprised that 3D OutRun isn't getting more love on here. M2 did amazing work on the 3DS Sega 3D Classics games. I for one would love to see them remaster more classic games.
            I've never owned a 3DS, but I would have played 3D OutRun if I did. Lots of people have told me the Sega 3D Classics games are great.

Comment

Yeah PCE tho i quite like the Megadrive version, gfx are a bit dark.

Saturn conversion is the donner kebab tho isnt it.

Comment

Master System

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  Master System port sucks hard.
                  Corrected.

Comment

Corrected.
                    I remember I got the MS version for Xmas and didn't like it at all. It sort of put me off the Master System, so I ended up selling it. Whenever I've gone back to it, I can see why it didn't grab me as a kid. The game is just too basic in all areas.

Comment

Well I enjoyed it, considering how bad a lot of Outrun ports were, it did good.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        Well I enjoyed it, considering how bad a lot of Outrun ports were, it did good.
                        I would agree that it's better than the 8-bit computer versions. But it's all very basic and bland next to the arcade version. OutRun was simply too advanced to be done justice on 8-bit hardware. Well, it's good on the PC Engine but that has a 16-bit GPU.

I know some people like the Master System version though, so it must be because it at least runs well.

Comment

I for one would love to see them remaster more classic games.
                          It's too bad they never got around to a 3D Guardian Heroes.

Comment

Working...
                          X