Complete Guide to Consoles - Review Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Zero was basically a multiformat version of Your Sinclair, which was already one of the funniest, most info-packed computer magazines around at the time, consistently brilliant both were. I've got loads of Zeroes tucked away but they make me kind of sad to re-read because that quintessentially English, eccentric slant on gaming seems to have died out.

But ACE magazine...cack.
    Yeah, I used to love Zero too. I remember one issue they sent the dopey looking bloke (Duncan something?) off to a dev for a feature on AI. I just remember it saying, 'for a feature on artificial intelligence, we sent a man who has none' with a photo of him looking gormless.

Comment

With other mags i just read the reviews and features that interested me, with Zero i read it cover to cover as the writing was so good. Shame it didn't last too long. I remember the Konix feature and thinking to myself "i've GOT to get one of these!". My favourite writers were dopey Duncan and David "Macca" McCandles. (I think that was the spelling?)

Comment

Alan P Thorpe was also great.

Comment

I used to love Super Play for the SNES. The artwork and overall layout and content of the mag has never been bettered.

Used to enjoy Crash and Zzap when i were a youngster as well.

Anyone remember the game mag ONE? I found a few of those in the garage a few months ago.

Also liked C&VG. Mean Machines when it was a C&VG supplement and then when it became a mag before it split to Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Official mag and the old Games Machine.

Days gone by. Now were stuck with Edge I do Games TM tho i've noticed that that is startig to go a bit "Edgified".

Wasn't ACE a bit kind of neat and orderly if i remember, almost like a tabloid. I had some of those in my garage as well along with zeros and all sorts of others.
          Last edited by NemesiS; 26-11-2009, 15:12.

Comment

I remember the yellow one too. It came out at the time I had a Master System and only dreamt of the next gen of goodness.

My thoughts -

Super Shinobi outshines Super Hangon in every single department - why does Super Hangon score more in the same magazine?

Volfied above PC Kid? Volfied is good for the odd arcade fix, but no real depth. I especially liked Qix on the gamebox but again, not sure it measures up to the longetivity, playability, graphics or sound of PC Kid.

Bloody Wolf - one of my favourite PCE games of all time. It should easily have hit the 90%s IMO

Although Wonderboy 3 scored a fairly high 92%, in light of the quality of the other games achieving 90s this should easily be higher.

Comment

ACE was more like early Edge, quite serious in tone. Focused more on the art and craft of game development rather than dedicated lots of space to reviews and previews.

I used to love it, and missed it a lot when it died.

Comment

Originally posted by chocklo View Post
                Although Wonderboy 3 scored a fairly high 92%, in light of the quality of the other games achieving 90s this should easily be higher.
                It only got sevend-hundred and something in ACE IIRC

Comment

There's an issue of ACE where they interview Mike Singleton about how he did the fractal islands in Midwinter2.

That article, right there, is why I'm a game coder today.

Just think, without ACE there would've been someone else contributing to the AI in the last 7 years of Lionhead games

Comment

^I remember that issue. I found it a tad dull, and I also found Midwinter quite dull (I was always on Simulcra or Zombi at the time, "look at the fast, smooth 3D on Amiga!!!"/"hey, it's Dawn Of The Dead. It's Dawn Of The Dead!!!!!")

My shallowness/lack of ambition is why I remain JazzFunk, a lowly hospital porter, and you work for Lionhead, and that is meant as praise. Big up to you, and keep on with them quality games.

Comment

I hope I'm not out of line posting this here.
                      If I am, I'll gladly remove it...

clicky

Comment

I would love to be able to buy a set of these magazines. Back in the day The first Mean Machines pamplet given away free in C+VG and the first yellow Complete Guide to consoles started off my interest in gaming...if only games magazines were written with the same enthusiasm and love for gaming as they were back then.

Comment

I think I have a spare book 4.

Comment

Thats cool, how much would you want for it?

Comment

Anyone willing to trade the first book? I'll look through my old mags to see what I have. I also have a few 2600 games?

Comment

Originally posted by meppi View Post
                                I hope I'm not out of line posting this here.
                                If I am, I'll gladly remove it...

clicky
                                Gah that's amazing, so makes me want to buy an N64, shame the boxed PAL games are so pricey these days

Comment

Working...
                                X