A Christmas Carol (Robert Zemeckis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Christmas Carol (Robert Zemeckis)

Another Performance Capture film from Mr Zemeckis and I'd probably rank this as his worst (although I enjoyed both Beowulf and Polar Express).

It's a mostly straight up adaptation of A Christmas Carol done in 3D performance capture With Jim Carrey playing Scrooge and at least two of the three ghosts (may possibly be playing the ghost of Christmas yet to come but you can't tell).

Good things: One of the best recreations of Victorian London there has been. A huge amount of work has been put into this side of things. It also makes good use of the 3D unlike most CGI films. Stuff is flung out at the audience, there are flyby shots, a real attempt has been made to produce 3D effects. The film is 80% faithful to the original story and a lot of the dialogue is straight out of the book.

The bad stuff:

It's a bit boring

There is an awful chase sequence that spoils the otherwise excellent ghost of christmas yet to be segment. They probably realised it was a bit dull and tried to spice it up, failing spectacularly.

Jim Carrey. As Scrooge it's very clearly Jim Carrey doing an old person voice (and not doing it convincingly), it prevents you from ever getting any attachment to his Scrooge. His Ghost of Christmas Past is immensely creepy, verging close to nightmare fuel. It's not entirely clear if that's supposed to be deliberate but it's one of the worst interpretations of the first ghost ever.

The dead eyed zombie effect of mocap films

Overall, not one of the worst adaptations but Mickey's Christmas Carol, Scrooged and Muppet Christmas Carol (which is still the best) are far superior to this.

how many versions of a christmas carol do we need :S

Comment

Many Many more. There's even an All Dogs Go to Heaven Christmas Carol

Comment

i really liked the patrick stewart one

Comment

I actually liked this one more than Polar Express. I went to see it at the iMax a few weeks back. It was my first 3D film and it blew me away really. Easily the best production of "A Christmas Carol" I've ever seen but then again I've only seen the Muppet one and that ITV modernization starring Ross Kemp from a few years back so...

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            i really liked the patrick stewart one
            mmmmeeeeEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhHHHHh...... humbug!

Comment

Scrooged and Muppet Christmas Carol for me too.

The wife was wanting to see this. Bit of cash saved there.

Comment

I thought it was very, very good.

Comment

Working...
                X