No announcement yet.

2009 in Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depeche Mode album was their best in ages, Empire of the Sun is a brilliant 80s pop throwback, Prodigy was also a return to form, and thanks to FIFA I discoverd a love for the Whitest Boy Alive's - Rules (oh and Wegue Wegue from FIFA as well, that song is awesome)

Comment

This year hasn't been especially eventful for new stuff, IMO.

That said, the latest Mew disc was certainly a highlight (definitely my album of the year), as was Animal Collective's 'Meriweather Post Pavillion', which is arguably one of their best albums.

The Fever Ray album was also another favourite of mine this year.

Comment

Band of the year for me : empire of the sun
        album of the year : conditions - the temper trap (by a whisker)
        runners up in order :
        walking on a dream - empire of the sun
        scars - basement jaxx
        brand new eyes -paramore

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
          That said, the latest Mew disc was certainly a highlight (definitely my album of the year), as was Animal Collective's 'Meriweather Post Pavillion', which is arguably one of their best albums.
          The Mew album was very good and MPP will probably top a lot of people's chart for album of the yar. Quite deservedly so, although Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest is probably my personal favourite by a whisker.

Comment

Grizzly Bear is one of those bands on my 'Need To Get Round To Getting Some of Their Stuff' list (I think everyone has one of those...). I've liked what I've heard, but as yet, not ever picked anything up!

Comment

Got to be Depeche Mode's newie, it's really very good.

That and Louis La Roche bringing sparkling French House back to the fore, coupled with mega doses of SebastiAn's Momy/Motor (I can't gel with 'Army' that much...)

But, that Louis La Roche...

Comment

Far too much serious stuff in this thread so far, this has been quite a good year for pop music. I think the line ups at the festivals this year is testament to that.

Comment

My highlights show how out of touch I am with new music.

Pearl Jam - Backspacer. Contains some of their best ever work in my opinion
                  Wilco - Wilco The Album. Bull Black Nova is a awesome.
                  Neil Young - Fork In The Road - A couple of naff tracks, but Light A Candle is so good i will overlook the odd bit of cheese.

Live

Faith No More at the Brixton Academy. Even with the dodgy sound levels it was an incredible gig.

Comment

Aside from the new Manic Street Preachers album (Journal for Plague Lovers) and the latest Biffy Clyro offering "Only Revolutions" for me it's been a big disappointment this year.

After a while the excitement of it being new wore off and I realised the Muse album (The Resistance) is nowhere near as good as their previous work.

Aside from the two albums I mentioned, the best release would be the remastered Beatles albums, which we've been listening to non stop.

The Foo Fighters greatest hits is disappointing, they are a band that COULD do a double album of hits (there are so many missing it's crazy!) yet it's stuck on one CD with two versions of Everlong! Snow Patrol get a 2CD greatest hits though? B-Sides, live tracks, ancient tracks nobody will have heard and re-recorded songs? I just don't get it!

I was hoping for a new Jimmy Eat World album, but God only knows where they are at right now!

Comment

Its been a 90s grungefest of a year for me digging Dinosaur Jr, Alice in Chains and of course Pearl Jam albums. On the radio I've enjoyed Biffy and that Rabbit Heart song. Can't think of any amazing music videos this year tbh...

Comment

Oh, Beyonce had one of the best music videos of all time.

Comment

Swoon- by Silversun Pickups, is my album of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                            Oh, Beyonce had one of the best music videos of all time.
                            Leave Taylor alone !

Comment

I'm a let you finish...OF ALL TIME!!!!1

Comment

Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
                                Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
                                Mastodon - Crack the Skye
                                Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers
                                Megadeth - Endgame

Those are my favourite new albums released in 2009 but I've probably listened to The Beatles remasters more than anything else tbh. Been to some great gigs as well including
                                AC/DC,Faith No More,Mastodon and Alice In Chains.

Comment

Working...
                                X