2009 in Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 in Music

The greatest hits albums are starting to appear in the shops, which pretty much signifies the end of any decent music being released this year. What are everyone's highlights?

For me, it was one of those years where the lack of any notable releases by a massive group meant that it gave more breathing room to the smaller, more interesting acts. A number of acts built on early promise or a developing career to produce their amazingly good albums, such as the Horrors, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective and Dirty Projectors.

I've also enjoyed the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, The Low Anthem, Royksopp and The Dead Weather. A bit disappointed by the new Albums from Air and Richard Hawley, although I'm going to see them both live soon so hopefully the songs will improve in a live performance.

I've also been listening to lots of dubstep and Mali stuff.

Glastonbury was the live highlight for me, although I avoided most of the big name acts.

My fav single has to be My Girls, followed by Royksopp's The Girl and The Robot.

The only interesting groups I discovered this year were 'La Roux' and Philip Glass

Comment

The new senser album was pretty cool, and the Prodigy album was a bit of a return to form. Might rack that up now.

Comment

My favourite albums are probably:

Common Dreads - Enter Shikari
        Vampire Weekend
        21st Century Breakdown - Green Day

3 mainstream acts right there.

Comment

Is VW's new album out already?

Comment

I'm talking about the first album which I discovered this summer. Was it a 2008 release then?

In that case I really like the second Rumble Strips album, too!

Comment

Overall I've listened to sod all this year and haven't done many gigs.

Tops for me would be:

Boxmasters - Modbilly
              I Come to Shanghai - I Come to Shanghai
              Wilco - Wilco

Comment

Best album for me this year was Deathstars "Night Electric Night", but also worth a mention for me was:

Depeche Mode "Sounds of the Universe"
                Devildriver "Pray for Villains"
                Killswitch Engage "Killswitch Engage"
                Rammstein "Liebe ist für alle da"
                Skindred "Shark Bites and Dog Fights"
                Static X "Cult of Static"
                Street Sweeper Social Club "Street Sweeper Social Club"
                The Wildhearts "Chutzpah!"

Not the best year I can remember, but overall decent
                Last edited by Skull Commander; 04-12-2009, 09:50.

Comment

Muse - The Resistance
                  Rammstein's new one

And I discovered Qntal, nothing else really stood out for me though.

Comment

Muse - The Resistance
                    Florence And The Machine - Lungs
                    Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
                    Frank Turner - The Road

Comment

I'm not a huge music fan so my pallet to chose from isn't very big but my two favourite bands released new albums this year and I've been to a lot of concerts (with two Placebo concerts next week to round it off)

Album Highlights

Muse - The Resistence
                      Placebo - Battle For the Sun
                      A Camp - Colonia

Live wise seeing Muse in Teignmouth was pretty special and seeing A Camp was an experience with no gap between me and the stage, Nina Persson right in front of me and my brother. I was even able to get my ticket signed at the end. But I've enjoyed all the concerts I've been to this year even from the groups I don't really listen to much.

Comment

I love Muse but I'm still undecided on The Resistance. There are some great tracks on there, but quite a few that I can't decide whether I like them or not.

I haven't bought much at all this year actually. Agree that Invaders Must Die is the best Prodigy album for a while, and I like Only Revolutions as well.

I think I've listened to Lily Allen more than any other album this year. I have a hard soft spot for Lily Allen.

Comment

Skindred "Shark Bites and Dog Fights - has this got anything awesome on it like "nobody"?

Actually I think perhaps I had a listen and didn't get on with it.

Comment

I'm not 100% convinced by The Resistance and don't think it is their best, but there are some cracking tunes on it that seem to get better with each listen. If I hadn't gone to the Teignmouth gig then I would probably think less of it though!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              Skindred "Shark Bites and Dog Fights - has this got anything awesome on it like "nobody"?

Actually I think perhaps I had a listen and didn't get on with it.
                              Did you hear the single?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Also has a surprisingly good Electric Avenue cover:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X