Blu-Ray Best Of The Best - for discussing releases only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by womblingfree View Post
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is out in Japan with English subs, unfortunately the subs are only for the main movie and not for the extras; double unfortunately it cost nearly 40 quid!!!
    It's also a bit shameful picture quality =( 7.1 PCM sound mind.

Comment

For those that are interested, a website that lists the Blu Ray discs and whether they are known to be region free or not -

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree View Post
        The best discs for me right now are House of Flying Daggers (shame there's no Hero!), Kung Fu Hustle (shame there's no Shaolin Soccer!).

Shame the transfer on House Of Flying Daggers is so shockingly bad.

Comment

Originally posted by newmiyamoto View Post
          Shame the transfer on House Of Flying Daggers is so shockingly bad.
          The image seems pretty sharp to me. You can see the grain of the film on some scenes but isn't this a problem with transferring film onto high definition media? The movie is being output on a medium superior to what it was filmed on??

Can the studios get rid of it?

Comment

Its not the grain its the fine detail and colour on that title
            And no grain is there for a reason they should never try and get rid of it

Comment

has anyone seen brave story?
              The trailer on my ps3 made me go Wooooooah. I dont think the blue-ray jap disc has english subs though.

Comment

Got Total Recall-image quality is pretty poor,not much else to say really.
                Devils rejects is very nice and a great audio track too!
                Talldega Nights is really good quality-but there is stll some compression artefacts.
                SwordFish is good quality and the sound is immense.
                Is there a list anywhere of the best quality blu-ray disks?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  For those that are interested, a website that lists the Blu Ray discs and whether they are known to be region free or not -

http://bluray.lindsite.dk/
                  What a surprise to see anything with FOX or Disney written on it maxed out on the security. They're saving us from ourselves

Comment

Best Picture and sound so far

Ultraviolet (cack film but stunning picture)
                    Underground Evloution
                    Kingdom Of Heaven
                    World Trade Centre

Let down by

Total Recall
                    MI3
                    Fifth Element

Comment

does anyone know of a good quality bluray film which does not have black border sillyness?

so far i've watched MI3 and 16 blocks. quality was good but im guessing i would have been more amazed if the image covered my whole screen(e.g bonus hd features on MI3) and not a little strip in the middle.

Comment

They're running in the original cinema aspect ratio (So 2.35/2.40:1) as opposed to most widescreen TV ratios (~1.70:1 I think) so you're not going to escape it for most unless you'd rather lose lines at the side of the picture.

Best bet would probably be something that's made specifically for TV (A TV show of some description I imagine).
                        Last edited by Number45; 31-01-2007, 14:18. Reason: WTF are widescreen rations?

Comment

Originally posted by zeroboo View Post
                          does anyone know of a good quality bluray film which does not have black border sillyness?

so far i've watched MI3 and 16 blocks. quality was good but im guessing i would have been more amazed if the image covered my whole screen(e.g bonus hd features on MI3) and not a little strip in the middle.
                          Yeah, Crank doesn't have the borders, and for me, is the best looking BD I've seen.

Took my PS3 round my cousins last-night, who recently acquired a 1080p Samsung LCD and it absolutely blew me away!

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                            They're running in the original cinema aspect ratio (So 2.35/2.40:1) as opposed to most widescreen rations (~1.70:1 I think) so you're not going to escape it for most unless you'd rather lose lines at the side of the picture.

Best bet would probably be something that's made specifically for TV (A TV show of some description I imagine).
                            damn it... and i thought getting a widescreen tv would end borders once and for all.

Edit: i just found this thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=3795
                            man, them lot are hardcore. thank god i didnt ask about the 16:9 thing over there. they might have shot me by now...
                            Last edited by zeroboo; 31-01-2007, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by analog dog View Post
                              Got Total Recall-image quality is pretty poor,not much else to say really.
                              Devils rejects is very nice and a great audio track too!
                              Talldega Nights is really good quality-but there is stll some compression artefacts.
                              SwordFish is good quality and the sound is immense.
                              Is there a list anywhere of the best quality blu-ray disks?
                              http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews_alpha.html has reviews of a ton of Blu Ray (and HD DVD) titles and most of the reviews have a star guide for the picture quality.

Comment

Blu-ray is catching up rather rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                                X