No announcement yet.

Godzilla, kaiju and tokusatsu movies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I was beginning to think it wouldn't come out at cinemas in the UK. I'll likely go to see it

Comment

Seems like there will IMAX and 4DX screenings. Never been to a 4DX presentation before might be just the time to try it.

Comment

I mentioned it in the Films You Watched thread but I felt Godzilla Minus One deserved a little more of a write up here. To me, it's amazing that after this many films (I have no idea how many), they found a way to make a Godzilla film that not only feels so classic and true to the original but also completely fresh at the same time. Embracing it as a period piece really helped but, within that setting, they found new themes to explore and quite deliberately sidestepped themes already well covered. That was a superb approach.

They came at this film with a people-first approach and they absolutely nailed it. At its heart, it is a small film about a handful of people dealing with post-war trauma and their place in it and yet it's all playing out in a huge disaster movie with terrible consequences. And they do not shy away from the horror of the natural disaster that is Godzilla. There is one sequence in particular where he is absolutely terrifying. It is done so well.

But it always goes back to those characters and they managed to craft a movie where I really cared about those people. They delivered so much emotion and got me right in the gut in a few places. Even with the terror and sadness and trauma, the movie actually has a warm heart and that's what makes it special.

It jumped instantly to my list of top Godzilla movies. Go watch it in the cinema.

One niggle, which I'll spoiler even though I'm not going to actually spoil anything:

We see Godzilla swim a few times, getting a view from the surface (no idea what's going on underneath). But in one sequence where it is made very clear that there is no solid ground beneath him, he is waist-high and swiping around and I was really distracted by how that was happening. Were his legs kicking frantically below the surface? Didn't seem that way. He looked like he had to be standing on something... but wasn't. Anyway, just a small thing.

See the movie!

I still don't quite know why it's called Minus One.

Comment

It's been revealed that Japan is to recieve Godzilla Minus 1/C
          The film is a monochrome version re-edited around the concept rather than just having the colour switched off.

Comment

I would happily go and see minus one minus colour. Can’t imagine we’ll see it at the cinemas here. It’ll make a good extra in the UHD release though.

Comment

Watch "「ゴジラVSマクドナルド」篇 60秒" on Streamable.

Comment

"Godzilla Minus One" Had Only 35 VFX Artists - Dark Horizons

Comment

Minus One is now only about $500,000 off the $100 million milestone.

Comment

Working...
                  X