No announcement yet.

Godzilla, kaiju and tokusatsu movies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st pic of the Godzilla from the new film, deffo looks more like him than Zilla did but i'll reserve judgment till i see a trailer.

At least he has the G2K spines which i love!
    Last edited by NeoDragoN; 26-07-2010, 16:55.

Comment

Is this a US one or Japanese one?

You know, I didn't think anyone could really bugger up a big budget Godzilla film and yet they managed it before. And then there's Aliens vs Predator. Seriously, how could that go wrong? It's amazing how bad movies can get.

But the potential is there. I want more Godzilla.

Comment

Has anybody seen :
        Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit

Sounds a bit bonkers!
        Didn't know people were still making man-in-rubber-suit monster movies!

Comment

The Flying Monster is one good example of Korea’s attempt at the “Kaiju” genre back in the 80’s. Sadly the genre as died since Shin Hyun-r...

Newbie discovery. I reckon there's a few films out there still unknown to the West. There must be dozens of Taiwanese wuxia films unknown too.

First, I have to admit that I was mostly attracted to this one due to the title and the amazing poster. Thank god I wasn’t wrong to pick it...

Shaw Brothers effort!
          Last edited by prinnysquad; 24-10-2010, 16:00.

Comment

I've just seen my first bit of Ultraman!

I watched Mega Monster Battle Ultra Galaxy Legend: The Movie.

It's directed by Koichi Sakamoto, who was the action director on the brilliant Drive with Mark Dacascos, and has directed loads of Power Rangers and Kamen Rider episodes and it's a very similar vibe to those shows because of the rubber-suited heroes.

The basic plot is Ultraman and his comrades from M-78 (including a new Ultraman, Zero) join forces with other allies to fight a massive army of giant monsters led by the evil Ultraman Belial.

Belial is a great baddie who kicks pretty much every Ultra hero's ass and it takes a new Ultraman and a half-human with monster-controlling powers to attempt to take him down. He looks like a cross between Ultraman and Venom/Carnage:

It's a great place for newcomers to the Ultra series as it explains the background of the heroes, but also has pretty much all of them from over the decades making an appearance for the long-term fans.

I really enjoyed it as it rattled along at a fair old pace, was pretty cheesy instead of taking itself serious like a lot of the latter po-faced Godzilla films and had plenty of action. The finale was great!

The only downsides to it were that Ultraman Leo never popped his nunchuks and that the whole film was made using greenscreen. It's all very convincing and the CGI is very good, but part of the charm of giant rubber monster movies is to see the bad guys stomping all over Tokyo and other cities represented in model form.

Comment

Video footage of The Flying Monster

I have GOT to get this.

Comment

Might try and source DEATH KAPPA!

Comment

A few more films I've discovered looking around various sites. So rare, some of them aren't on imdb.

Most feature video clips, well worth a watch for the lolz.

Flyer of Young Prodigal (1978)

Thrilling Sword (1981)

The Boy and a Magic Box (1975)

The Merciful Buddha (1979)

Legend of Mother Goddess
                  (1975)

War God (1976) Got this thanks to Shinobi!

The Fairy and the Devil (1982) which reuses some footage from Tsu Hong Wu (1971)

Long extract of it More footage

Sea Gods and Ghosts (1977)

Silver Maid (1970)

The Demons In The Flame Mountain (1978)

Monster From the Sea (1974) - is on hkmdb, but it won't link.

Devil Fighter (1969)

The Saviour Monk (1975) - is on hkmdb, but it won't link.

And more about Young Flying Hero (1970)
                  Last edited by prinnysquad; 15-05-2011, 11:17.

Comment

The Fantastic Sword

How many of these films are still undiscovered in the West???

Comment

Dammit, I keep expecting the new godzilla to be unveiled every time this thread gets bumped!

Comment

I only deal in obscure old stuff, man. Stuff you need to see!

Although when a new Godzilla hits I'll be going ape **** crazy for it.

Comment

This is pretty cool:

Comment

i may be wrong but i "think" thats actually part of a dream sequence from another japanese movie seem to recall it on cinemassacre ages ago

Comment

There's no tricking you guys!

Still pretty good though.

Comment

Working...
                              X