No announcement yet.

Bioshock 2 [PS3/360/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understandably, perhaps, I haven't found it as immediately intriguing as the original game.

I have to say, though, that there was a bit in the opening movie that I found amusing and touching at the same time (it involves your reflection).

I get the feeling that because this is a return to Rapture (for the player at least) there'll be loads of little nods, winks and hints ahead. Looking forward to playing more.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
      I miss the Circus of Value voice
      Me too, i can hear the words already in my head, looking forward to tomorrow to returning to Rapture.

Comment

I have to say the multiplayer is surprising rather good. I had my doubts when I heard it was developed by a separate team.

I received it today played about 1 hours in single player and spend the rest of the evening playing multiplayer. Single player experience seems pretty much the same as the first game. So did knew was to expect, more of the same, so very happy they added online play.

Comment

I am enjoying being back in rapture, there always seems to be plenty of scripted events to watch, or items to pick up such as audio diary's or enemies to kill. So far enjoying all of the single player and what it has to offer. Glimpsing into the inner workings of Rapture again.

Loaded up the multiplayer and although it was more polished and well thought out I had to wait ages for a game (which isn't a suprise really I guess) but then was treated to a laggy glitch filled game. Not really impressed if that is what I can expect.

I wasn't really bothered anyway I hoped for the best of course, its a story driven FPS with almost RPG elements its a bit daft doing MP. As I said in the past they should release a game in a similar art style which is MP only not a half arsed MP game within the Bioshock universe.

Comment

Hmm. Initial "delight" is starting to wear away now and, it pains me to say it, this isn't that great. It is forever going to live in the shadow of the original game.

My biggest gripe is the near constant re-spawning enemies, every 30 seconds or so and you don't get a proper chance to explore the wonderful world of Rapture. The great thing about the first game was that it struck a nice balance between action and exploration, that's not the case here at all.

The gameplay pendulum has swung dramatically to the action side of things and not in a good way, unfortunately. It seems like the developers thought it was a great idea to up the action levels by 10 just because you play as a Big Daddy now. It doesn't work, it just becomes immensely frustrating especially as you progress further into the game.

It is not a poor game by any means because there are aspects from the original that still hold up in this sequel. The story/narrative, the world of Rapture and the stylish visuals are all still intact. Gameplay is decent enough but doesn't really compare to the original.

I had a feeling this wouldn't be better than the original but I never thought they would mess up the wonderfully balanced gameplay. Hmm, will still try and finish it but in all honestly, apart from the opening section, I'm not really enjoying it that much right now.
            Last edited by ezee ryder; 16-05-2010, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
              The gameplay pendulum has swung dramatically to the action side of things and not in a good way, unfortunately. It seems like the developers thought it was a great idea to up the action levels by 10 just because you play as a Big Daddy now. It doesn't not work, it just becomes immensely frustrating especially as you progress further into the game.
              I had this fear when I saw the trailer for the first time last week (I tried to avoid as much coverage as possible) because it looked like an all-out shooter.

I'm still more or less at the beginning of the game, but I suppose I'd better be prepared for possible disappointment later on.

Comment

Hmm. Initial "delight" is starting to wear away now and, it pains me to say it, this isn't that great. It is forever going to live in the shadow of the original game.

My biggest gripe is the near constant re-spawning enemies, every 30 seconds or so and you don't get a proper chance to explore the wonderful world of Rapture. The great thing about the first game was that is struck a nice balance between action and exploration, that's not the case here at all.

The gameplay pendulum has swung dramatically to the action side of things and not in a good way, unfortunately. It seems like the developers thought it was a great idea to up the action levels by 10 just because you play as a Big Daddy now. It doesn't not work, it just becomes immensely frustrating especially as you progress further into the game.

It is not a poor game by any means because there are aspects from the original that still hold up in this sequel. The story/narrative, the world of Rapture and the stylish visuals are all still intact. Gameplay is decent enough but doesn't really compare to the original.

I had a feeling this wouldn't be better than the original but I never thought they would mess up the wonderfully balanced gameplay. Hmm, will still try and finish it but in all honestly, apart from the opening section, I'm not really enjoying it that much right now.
                Ahhh man. I had a bad feeling about this, and the EG review made me even more worried, but if Ezee thinks its "OK" (& with respect, but you bloody love your games & never overly critize without good reason) then they really did lose the magic from the first one.

Oh well, all the more reason to take my time & do every last side mission on ME2!

Thanks for the impressions mate, I don't remember respawning enemies in the first one, or have I forgotten? Re-spawns are normally my number 1 hate in any FPS/TPS.

Comment

I second the 'lost the magic' motion. so far i'm only a couple of hours in... but i feel like i'm playing a remake of the first game without any narrative flair. Fair enough the engine is the same as it should be, but enemies feel identical (and as noted, more of them), weapons feel identical, items feel identical and more plentiful (i liked the survival horror feeling of the original, every bullet counted).

As my favorite ME2 character says, "I'll keep killing every enemy you throw at me, but give me a reason to care?"

Comment

I did a couple of hours on this last night and I'm really enjoying it. The first one didn't really grab me in the way I thought it would (I can't describe why, it just didn't) so whatever is different here is working for me

Comment

Finally received this morning woohoo! All the complaints about this sound to me a lot like the things I wanted from it. I never found the story in Bioshock that special, apart from the brilliant twist which I sort of saw coming going from my experience from System Shock 2. It was the world that I loved but the combat needed improving and it looks like I'll get it with this. I still don't think this recovered from the air of negativity surrounding it no matter how good or bad it actually is (I'm not talking about here really but on places like GAF it never had a chance)

Of course if I actually think it is proper ****e I'll be saying, need to finish Dantes Inferno first!
                      Last edited by mr_woo; 09-02-2010, 09:56.

Comment

About 3 hours in now. I'm personally really enjoying the shift towards action. There are moments when the odds are really stacked against you, but there's usually a pay-off in the form of a new weapon or plasmid that makes you superbly nails, and empowers you for a few fights at least. I don't remember having that sensation in the original, the splicers and such always felt one step ahead. Which was also brilliant, but I'm finding the shift in the action a welcome change for the sequel.

The exploration isn't quite as rewarding though, too many key items are signposted with the shimmering gold effect and twinkling sound you can hear a mile-off. The set-pieces are great but not quite as creative as those in the first, and the voice transmissions don't string you through the levels so brilliantly, too.

Still, really enjoying this. Rapture is as lovely as before and has totally got under my skin again. It's not as good as the first so far, but it's just as addictive and well made.

Comment

Played it for just over an hour.

Enjoying it a bit but it really doesn't have the same *feel* of the first so far. The first was so incredibly atmospheric and you really felt like you were exploring the aftermath of a glorius city falling from grace. I'm not yet getting the same feeling here, just feels like I'm exploring a generic ruined city like I am in so many other FPS'.

There's no sense of exploration. No watching big daddies go about their business, no sense that the people I'm fighting against are people who have been driven insane through splicing.

Comment

Yeah to clarify... after the first couple of hours i feel they've swapped a story driven fps survival horror genre for an americanised 'bad-ass takes all' run-and-gun genre. As a generic fps it is very pretty and polished, but it joins a host of polished fps games where the main drive is to find a medpack and a bigger gun (and notably lacks cover mechanics)

I felt like the original gameplay asked me to look around and be smarter. So far the sequel seems to ask me to strafe and shoot faster.

There's still a lot of scope for it to grow into something more intelligent, I'm going to give it a few days.

Comment

When posting please think about spoilers. That would include not mentioning certain areas and features. I know some people (like myself) have kept away from news and previews. Thanks.
                              The gameplay pendulum has swung dramatically to the action side of things and not in a good way, unfortunately. It seems like the developers thought it was a great idea to up the action levels by 10 just because you play as a Big Daddy now.
                              Ahh the irony! Come on man

Comment

I dont think its a spoiler that you play as a big daddy, you know as soon as you start the game.

Only played a bit of this so far but am Enjoying it. I had major problems with the original, i thought it was too easy which in turn somehow made the action parts feel ocasionaly choore like to play and just thought the gameplay wasnt up to scratch in a few areas.

This seems to have improved upon the original immensley from a gameplay perspective now though. The combat is more fun and the developers have taken that sleek feeling of the original and implemented it on top of an experience that, so far at least, feels much more worthwhile from a gameplay standpoint. Fans of the original dont seem that impressed, but I am.

I'm sure there are a few twists to come from the story too, so i think we should all hold off for a while until critisizing that aspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X