Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loopop Cube: Lup ★ Salad PSP

YEEEEEEAAAAAH!

Differences between the PSP and DS version noted thus far, there's voice acting which I'm almost certain wasn't in the DS version but I could be wrong.

The undo button on DS only goes back one move, on PSP you can go all the way back to the start of a level if you keep pressing it. This is goooood.

Holding the R Button during the tutorial levels (I say tutorial levels, they're just the "easy" set really, but they work as tutorials because you can view solutions) auto-solves the level like in the DS game, but here it counts as completing the level if you use it, whereas in the DS you had to solve it yourself.

Barely any loading times.

Easy and medium are unlocked to begin with, like in the DS game. There's no "empty" slots but I expect more difficulties.

Music is the same but the quality is better. Ace

My experience of the PSP version is still very limited, but it absolutely looks like the version to go for if you have the choice.

Actually, if you're really forgetful, the DS version is the way to go, as the PSP doesn't auto-save as far as I can tell. Saving is done by pressing triangle on the level select screen. Not really an issue unless, as I say, you're likely to forget!

Still yet to unlock the new PSP mode...

Game of the millennium.

still no idea where this 'loopop' is coming from...

Comment

Play-Asia/Yesasia call it that, ask them!

I'm just using it so people can find it online if they want to.

Comment

I'm too lazy to investigate that far, so I'm just gonna blame you.

Comment

Finished all the easy levels last night. There are still 120 per set, with the same themes and tunes, but some of the levels are new from the DS game. There's a new type of block, the bubble block, which doesn't need to be removed to complete the level but can be used as a stepping stone. If you're above it you can stand on it, if you're below it you can't jump but either side and you can walk through and burst it. If you push a block from any direction onto the bubble (even above) it bursts and the block falls to the nearest floor.

So yeah, there are new puzzles with that, and I guess some of the old ones are gone or will appear later.

On one of the levels, the bubbles had a weird little icon inside with made a sound and flashed a bit when I popped it, no idea what effect that had on completing the level because it only happened once so far and I had to burst them to join the blocks up.

Matatabi mode (the new PSP mode) is unlocked, which is based on the bubbles. You control a cat who controls like Salad. It's kinda like the anti-Salad mode. In it, you have to burst all the bubbles and it doesn't matter if you leave some regular blocks around. The levels are unlocking one by one so I have no idea how many there are, it's pretty neat though, or will be if the difficulty picks up/there are loads of levels.

Hiking mode is unlocked too, which seems the same as in the DS though I haven't tried it. Oddly, pressing R at any stage select screen opens a hiking-mode-like menu, I have no idea why this is or what it holds in store.

Comment

Beat me to it. (Although I've got no excuse, really, since I got it last week.) In general, I'd agree with the opinion that this is the definitive Rupupu experience--except for the saving system, which is slightly cumbersome. (Forgetting to save after finishing a chapter is a slightly paranoid fear of mine with this game.)

You forgot to mention that a lot of the graphics have been redone (including Salad's sprites), and the DS version also featured full voice acting. Nevertheless, what with the redo button and the new modes, this really is the version to get. (The manual is superb, too.) The new bubble-based puzzles are quite interesting, too. I just wish they had paid a bit more attention to presentation in this version, though. The text layout on some of the tips pages is shocking....

Comment

Originally posted by arada392 View Post
              (The manual is superb, too.)
              Is there anything interesting in that that I'll have missed, not knowing Japanese? Some explanation as to why hiking mode appears in two different places, for example! That mode is also vastly cut-down from the DS version, unless more unlocks later. There seems to be 32 combinations of keywords for 32 levels, whereas the DS had thousands.

Getting further through matatabi mode, and it's getting tougher, starting to have to skip a few. There are loads of puzzles in it too

Comment

Working...
              X