15 British Musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone who contributed.

Here's the list I went for in the end. Some I them I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of, but did a quick google. Went for 18 - they can leave out a couple.

Vaughan William
    Britten
    Elgar
    Beatles
    Led Zeppellin
    Queen
    Pink Floyd
    Coldplay
    Elton John
    Deep Purple
    Oasis
    The Who
    Gary Numan
    Rolling Stones
    Blur
    Susan Boyle
    David Bowie
    Tom Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
      Nearly forgot Brian Eno .
      Bah, you beat me to it!

I'd probably place Eno uber alles, given how far his influence travelled and how important his presence was to British music.

Also, as a bit of a curveball, I'd also add Rod 'Heatwave' Temperton to the mix, without him I doubt Michael Jackson would have stormed the world the way he did.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        Bah, you beat me to it!

I'd probably place Eno uber alles, given how far his influence travelled and how important his presence was to British music.
        I agree, and he's still making music today.

Also, as a bit of a curveball, I'd also add Rod 'Heatwave' Temperton to the mix, without him I doubt Michael Jackson would have stormed the world the way he did.
        Good call, he's definitely an unsung hero of British music.

Originally posted by tomato
        Vaughan William
        Britten
        Elgar
        Beatles
        Led Zeppellin
        Queen
        Pink Floyd
        Coldplay
        Elton John
        Deep Purple
        Oasis
        The Who
        Gary Numan
        Rolling Stones
        Blur
        Susan Boyle
        David Bowie
        Tom Jones
        Whilst I think you could make a good case for everyone to be on that list (including Susan Boyle) it's not a varied list. There's a lot of white boy guitar bands from the 60's, 70's and 90's, but very little from the 80's and nothing that represents black or asian music, punk, ska or electronica. There are also groups that definitely occupy the same kinmd of space (Led Zep/Deep Purple being the most obvious).

Personally (and feel free to ignore me) I'd drop acts like Deep Purple, Elton John, Coldplay, Oasis and Queen and include Brian Eno, Massive Attack & Tricky, Sex Pistols, Joy Division/New Order, LTJ Bukem and The Specials. You could also include a DJ like Carl Cox.

Comment

Never mind

Comment

Working...
          X