This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo of Japan has issued a brief press release confirming that it's working on its next handheld platform. Going by the working title of "Nintendo 3DS," the platform is scheduled to ship in Japan before March 2011.

Details on the platform are slim, as the release only states that it will offer 3D effects without the use of any sort of glasses and that it will be backwards compatible with existing DS software. More details will hit at this year's E3 in June.
    (I did check the date before posting this)

The tech is ideal for a handheld and very cheap too!

Comment

ok, 3D without glasses would be incredibly awesome. The tech certainly exists (think those serrated 3D card things you got free with cereals). However, the dot pitch required for a screen on a handheld would be incredibly tiny. You'd need to double the number of pixels.

This press release is incredibly odd, why release details in such a low key manner a couple of months before a big show? Guessing there was a major leak and they're getting the word out first.

Comment

have to hope they've learnt from the virtual boy.

so what do we expect for launch, a new 3ds version of Mario 64 ?

its very nintendo, an iterative release that will let them flog all their old back catalogue in new and improved 3ds form.

wonder if its all a bit novelty, can't really see how it enhances gameplay in a handheld

Comment

This can't be an April's fool can it?

Comment

As Kotaku mentioned. Nintendo have stated that they've been researching a 3D tech with 'no health effects' for a while. Guess they've found one that doesn't induce eye strain or headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
              This can't be an April's fool can it?
              My very first thought. It will be interesting to see the device in action if real.

Comment

I'll be interested to see how it works, lenticular cards are usually fairly unstable as you only have to move a tiny bit to alter the affect.
                It's ideal for handhelds in the respect that you are using it as an individual and can look straight on but other than that I think there are too many downsides to it, although I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't release something terrible.

I just imagine that you'll get really motion sick if trying to use one on public transport!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  This press release is incredibly odd, why release details in such a low key manner a couple of months before a big show? Guessing there was a major leak and they're getting the word out first.
                  Not really, it's the 23th of the month so this was certainly planned to be revealed today.
                  Nintendo always do this with a major release.

Comment

A bit more info/speculation:

So, there's new Nintendo hardware on the way. It's a 3D handheld system. How, though, will that 3D work? Maybe a recent obscure DSi release offers some clues.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                      I wouldn't take much of that they allude to seriously, this was the original article they posted before editing and then re-editing it:

Comment

A lot of sites do that, it doesn't necessarily mean the information contained within is false.

Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting Kotaku are a trusted source! These were just the first couple of links I stumbled across.

EDIT: Also English press release courtesy of NeoGAF.

Comment

Hehe, don't worry, I wasn't implying that.

I just noticed the story on NeoGAF a minute after it was posted and the way people were thinking about how that site in particular would just copy & paste the story from there since they do it all the time.

Getting it more or less completely wrong in the process was just a bonus for an extra laugh.

Comment

Also courtesy of GAF: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...3d-mobile-tips

Perhaps that might give some insight? It doesn't come across that great in the video, but he says it's pretty good.

I wonder how easy this will be to market? It's going to be hard to show people how good the technology is without you actually having the device in your hands.

Comment

What the 3DS adverts may look like

Comment

Working...
                              X