X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~ EXTRA

Amazingly 5pb have pulled off a great port of my favourite shooter ever ^_^

Load times are almost non existent.

Slowdown and bullet patterns seem easily as accurate as any other 360 Cave port.

Presentation is much better than DOJBLEX, there's still room for improvement but everything seems to work well.

After a brief go, X mode seems like a lot of fun. Wider combo window and enemies that cancel bullets into chips when destroyed. Simple but effective idea.

As expected it doesn't look as pretty on a HDTV because of the old hardware and no scanline option but it's better than I expected thanks to some filter options including good old "Nearest Neighbour". I would definitely recommend a tated CRT if you can though.

The Limited Edition has a lovely hologram cover on the CD box

Oh and of course the game itself is still Cave's finest work IMVHO.

If you like shmups and don't have a Japanese 360 now, you're ga-ga.

BUY THIS AT PLAY-ASIA (ntsc-uk affiliate link)
    Last edited by charlesr; 26-04-2010, 15:08.

Wow you got this swift, I was expecting nightmares with the whole ash cloud. How did you get the game sent?

Comment

I am guessing VGI. It would've been my first choice had I not punted money Play-Asia's way in advance. Sadly it's waiting for SSFIV before shipping

Comment

Can't be VGI. They only started sending them out today. Anyone who opted for Special Delivery from them should get theirs tomorrow.

Comment

Nipped home at lunchtime for a couple of quick credits. Wow. It's been a good five or six years since I played Ketsui, and since selling my supergun I thought I'd never get the chance to play it again so it's fantastic to finally have a console version.

It's just as amazing as I remember. Seems to me like Cave at their peak of the no-frills, meat & potatoes shooter. 'No frills' isn't entirely correct as it has it's own quirky scoring system, but it's a lot more 'pick up and play' friendly than some other Cave verts. And there's not a floating person in sight ... just rock hard gunship helicopters and heavy duty machinery. Gameplay always reminded me of Progear with the homing lock-on ... but I always prefered Ketsui's simpler scoring system.

And it's proper blast to play, which is where it counts for a casual shmupper like me

Excellent all round ... well worth the wait.
          Last edited by Atticus; 27-04-2010, 12:56.

Comment

It's incredibly difficult. Anyone playing who is more used to the recent releases is in for a shock.

Comment

Awesome stuff guys...really looking forward to this.

Only had a brief go at IC'09 & loved it.
              I've been rinsing the DS Death Label again in preperation for this really looking forward to giving it a play...no sign on my copy yet but I'm not too worried it'll be a nice surprise when I come back from Honeymoon

Neil

Comment

Mine came in this morning too. Absolutely brilliant stuff, could see this easily become my favourite shmup/Cave game.

Comment

X mode is surprisingly good. Slightly dubious spacing of the bullet cancelling enemies in places but its really exciting stuff and not overly complicated.

Comment

Got this this morning for PA, surprised it's arrived so swift!

Don't really know the original, so I can't say how close it is, but it's pretty much the raw game, no flashy, HD 360 modes.

Another thing I can say...The game is freakin rock hard!! Surprised there is so much love actually, it's really tough!! I can barely get off level 1 alive, never mind the rest of the game. I thought the difficulty would put people off.

The devs have definitely done a better job than Dodonpachi, no loading seen anywhere and it an infinitely better package. It still doesn't have the quality of Mushihime of Espgaluda tho.

Can anyone give a quick run down of the system? How the lock on stuff works, how the socring works, any cheaky systems I need to be aware of?

The achievements look more achievable too, more in the lines of DDP; so fairly straight forward if you keep plugging away.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                      Can anyone give a quick run down of the system? How the lock on stuff works, how the socring works, any cheaky systems I need to be aware of?
                      the basic idea is using normal shot kill an enemy at close range, the closer the higher chip number you get, 5 max, then lock shot and you get the same number chip no matter the distance for a short time. i'm not sure what determines when it runs out and you start getting 1 chips again, i think you might be able to extend it by killing enemies at close range while in lock shot too?

regarding the difficulty i think it's easier than DOJ but only just.

Comment

Well goddamn.

Whoever said this was ridiculously difficult was NOT joking.

I am SERIOUSLY struggling to get past even the first level. That said I have jumped straight in and started playing for score which is a bad idea right now and I know that.

Comment

Indeed. I'm just about getting to stage 3 consistently after playing pretty solidly for a week. X-Mode is a nice break from the relentless difficulty, although it's by no means a walk in the park. Arcade mode is definitely on par with DOJ in terms of shere relentless difficulty. I'm not surprised that so many 2nd hand copies have already started appearing on Japanese shelves.
                          Last edited by bcass; 04-05-2010, 20:18.

Comment

Ok so I can now regularly no-miss the first stage with a score of about 11.1 mil - Is this good? I've got nothing to benchmark it against so I have no idea if i'm correctly learning the scoring system or not. >.<

That said, I think this has hit it's sweet spot for me, when you don't even try to score. You just are scoring while weaving in and out of bullet patterns unlike anything i've ever seen before.

Comment

Got the game yesterday and it rocks, but it is also my punishment for actually believing that I actually had got better at Cave games.

Comment

Working...
                              X