Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    It's at the Bury one (I think it's still there!).

Definitely worth a visit if you haven't been since pre-pandemic.

Loads of new additions on the retro floor, a side-room on floor 2 with 20+ candie cabs (I'm a big fan of shmups, so love this one...Darius Gaiden, Battle Garegga, Ketsui, Espgaluda, Batsugun and more), lots of new additions throughout really. They've also done some work on the venue adding a bigger car park, painted all the staircases, nicer toilets etc.
    mancs one is amazing wish that was the one in leeds as it's so vast and full of my fave rhythms stuff but it's really hard to get to unless you can drive which i can't. Been about 6 times in total over the years but only when friends are driving to it but since the pandemic i haven't been anywhere as my health is garbage i can't stand for long so trying to play anything will cause pain. Apart from work and my doctor i haven't seen anyone since 2019 i'm pretty much a hermit now & i'm not exaggerating very few of my friends live in leeds so my only social outlet was going to the arcades as i'm comfortable on my own & people are friendly enough that i can start games with total strangers pretty much used to go to the leeds one every other week after work i miss the atmosphere but i can't risk been that close to everyone i have had enough covid infections to last me several lifetimes. But if i'm been brutally honest i was never the most social of people to start with.

There's a reason my home is like a games store/arcade as it means i have stuff to do without having to go out not gonna lie miss going to the arcades though. Maybe i should save up and just rent the entire thing out for myself for a day as it's possible to do that but i have no idea of the costs, could bring a fold up chair and play on my own for the day lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      Leeds one needs a bit of a face lift, the whole place is feeling a little shabby now the toilets are awful, i found it hilarious that their was a selection of deodorants in the Toilets for the patrons to use though, its like their saying
      I was careful to use the word "nicer", not "nice" They still aren't great, but they used to be worse. The Arcade Club deodorants are kind of iconic though; they know their audience! Still makes me chuckle when I see them.

I'm not sure they've done VR at Bury since Covid, but it did always seem a bit gross. It gets very warm in there and I imagine playing Beat Sabre in those conditions is going to result in some pretty sweaty headsets!
      Last edited by ZipZap; 07-06-2022, 17:18.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        mancs one is amazing wish that was the one in leeds as it's so vast and full of my fave rhythms stuff but it's really hard to get to unless you can drive which i can't. Been about 6 times in total over the years but only when friends are driving to it but since the pandemic i haven't been anywhere as my health is garbage i can't stand for long so trying to play anything will cause pain. Apart from work and my doctor i haven't seen anyone since 2019 i'm pretty much a hermit now & i'm not exaggerating very few of my friends live in leeds so my only social outlet was going to the arcades as i'm comfortable on my own & people are friendly enough that i can start games with total strangers pretty much used to go to the leeds one every other week after work i miss the atmosphere but i can't risk been that close to everyone i have had enough covid infections to last me several lifetimes. But if i'm been brutally honest i was never the most social of people to start with.

There's a reason my home is like a games store/arcade as it means i have stuff to do without having to go out not gonna lie miss going to the arcades though. Maybe i should save up and just rent the entire thing out for myself for a day as it's possible to do that but i have no idea of the costs, could bring a fold up chair and play on my own for the day lol.
        Sorry things haven't been too good for you. Not sure if it would help, but if you could make it down on a Thursday evening it's generally fairly quiet, especially as the evening goes on. I did once see a guy with a chair playing cabs upstairs.

Comment

What you really need is the StrutterGear™ Strutter Bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
            Sorry things haven't been too good for you. Not sure if it would help, but if you could make it down on a Thursday evening it's generally fairly quiet, especially as the evening goes on. I did once see a guy with a chair playing cabs upstairs.
            if they were playing rainbow islands that might have actually been me i er borrowed the chair from the cocktail mrs packman upstais and scooted it over so i could sit for a decent session as once i get on rainbow islands i'm on it for a while as a full game can take quite a bit to finish.

Comment

This is the closest I've been to an arcade in years, NQ64 in Edinburgh. It looked awesome but a lot of the games we chose to play were pretty badly maintained. Still had fun though.

Comment

Looks great, Col. Very similar to the Brum one.
                Although the lack of freeplay means people don't hog one machine, it also means you don't feel like you can rinse a machine, which is what Neon's lightgun thread has me itching to do!

Comment

I went to the Cardiff one on Saturday night. Outrun 2 was one of the better machines Ive seen still going so that's good to have. The free to play consoles were hogged though so no chance of getting on those if it's busy.

Comment

Was in Bristol this past weekend, and would note that on top of being a nice place, it is particularly good for nerdy pursuits.

Didn't make it in to the Four Quarters or the Loading Bar, but on Sunday I did however make it to the "History of Videogames" exhibition and mini-arcade. It's in a shopping centre and has a lot of space, set up with console memorabilia and casual couch-based setups, a nice little bit to sit quietly and/or play board games, and a decent array of arcade cabinets. Think you can pay hourly, but at £13 for the day I just did that.

Some of the more exhibit-y bits:

Some of the cosy console setups:

Some of the arcade games:

I understand most of the Bemani comes from one person's private collection, and I was particularly thrilled with GuitarFreaks V7 being there - I've still not really gotten into the five-button Gitadora games, and when I did try and play the one at AC Leeds it was totally inaudible. This had a lot of the licenses I wanted to play and I had a great time with it.

Comment

ah man para para paradise i used to be really good at that one had pretty much most of the routines down on the first mix.

Comment

ah man para para paradise i used to be really good at that one had pretty much most of the routines down on the first mix.
                        Might not be able to see it too well in the pictures, but there in the corner there was a Dance Evolution machine too!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                          Might not be able to see it too well in the pictures, but there in the corner there was a Dance Evolution machine too!
                          oh i spotted it i recognise that illuminated caninet anywhere i hate that leeds arcade club got rid of it the game was so much fun. Have to agree on sound levels in there they always ALWAYS set crap like point blank at max volume and the rhythm stuff at an almost unhearable level i have complained to them but it fell on deaf ears. Rhythm games it's essential you can hear the music all other arcade games it's not as important. It's why i always used to bring a pair of earphones so i could at least play nostalgia with been able to hear it.

Comment

RAVE RACER!!!

I'd have been over the moon to see that. Para Para Paradise and Pop'n Music, too...plus I'd love to try Tetris Grandmaster on a proper cab haha. Looks like a great little exhibition.

Comment

Did you go to an exhibition, or just pop over to [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]'s house?

To be fair, there's probably a fair chunk of stuff on display that you have too, Fuse!

Looks great, though. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Did you go to an exhibition, or just pop over to [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]'s house?

To be fair, there's probably a fair chunk of stuff on display that you have too, Fuse!

Looks great, though. Thanks for sharing!
                                Oh fuses collection way outstrips my own he has way more import stuff than me, I can’t compete with an arcade either although if I ever win the lottery expect my home to look like arcade club lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X