No announcement yet.

Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, a pink Rage Racer. You can tell that's been in the sun.

Comment

I think Rave Racer cabs are meant to have pink sections, rather than it being sun faded

The one I used to play had a lot of pink plastic IIRC.

Comment

They are? Wow, I don't remember that. Then again, I think the last time I saw one was way back in 1997.

Comment

Yeah I think parts of Rave Racer are meant to be pink, but it is definitely a cab that's seen better days too. I first sat down not realising that the seat wasn't held on a platform as you'd expect, and instead it scraped against the floor. Something funky was going on with the pedals too, at one point the accelerator seemed to be throttled.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          Oh fuses collection way outstrips my own he has way more import stuff than me
          You do yourself a disservice here, you have lots of excellent things!

Comment

So we're coming back to the UK tomorrow for our first post-COVID summer visit. Partly because I need to collect a PVM, partly because we need to see my mum after so long, and partly because we want to go to one of the Arcade Clubs. I've been hyping up Arcade Club to my boy for what seems like years now, and we're both dead excited about going. We just booked a B+B in Blackpool so that we have two full days, with one reserved exclusively for the arcade visit.

Only, I just checked their site for the exact location and learned that they're closed Monday-Wednesday, the days we're there. Awesome.

Comment

It would be an interesting summer challenge to see what the oldest, most impressive old school arcade machine find people can locate would be. A working unit in an arcade but it has to be 'in the wild' and not in a place like an arcade club where the intention is to have those machines there. I wonder if anywhere happens to have something interest still running by pure happen-chance

Comment

There is a tiny traditional seaside arcade in Brixham, south Devon, that until pretty recently still had a fully working Aquajet (albeit with some screen burn).

OK, it's hardly ancient (1996), but its size and mechanical complexity means that I'd consider it a fairly unusual one to see around.

Unfortunately I think it eventually gave up the ghost as last time I went in there it had disappeared

There was also a pretty excellent arcade in Brixham that shut down in about ~2015 that right up until its closure had a full two player Rave Racer setup. Was in great nick, too.

Comment

Impressive they kept it so long. Those rear projection monitors are a bugger to keep running, they also can suffer horrendous burn.

Comment

that's the problem with samba de amigo and why they are so rare to find the screens were those janky plastic rear projection screens coupled with the magnetic proximity sensors crapping out so easily i doubt many survived at all even andy at arcade club has struggled to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      So we're coming back to the UK tomorrow for our first post-COVID summer visit. Partly because I need to collect a PVM, partly because we need to see my mum after so long, and partly because we want to go to one of the Arcade Clubs. I've been hyping up Arcade Club to my boy for what seems like years now, and we're both dead excited about going. We just booked a B+B in Blackpool so that we have two full days, with one reserved exclusively for the arcade visit.

Only, I just checked their site for the exact location and learned that they're closed Monday-Wednesday, the days we're there. Awesome.
                      unfortunately all the arcade clubs are only open from thurs to sunday. They use the downtime to service the machines & other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        unfortunately all the arcade clubs are only open from thurs to sunday. They use the downtime to service the machines & other stuff.
                        We’re going to Bury now on Thursday instead.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          We’re going to Bury now on Thursday instead.
                          bury is probably the best one the library of machines there beats all other sites hands down. Get there early as you'll have a LOT to get through & try not to overload as it's rather overwhelming lol

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            It would be an interesting summer challenge to see what the oldest, most impressive old school arcade machine find people can locate would be. A working unit in an arcade but it has to be 'in the wild' and not in a place like an arcade club where the intention is to have those machines there. I wonder if anywhere happens to have something interest still running by pure happen-chance
                            Funnily enough I was thinking similar things when I saw the Outrun 2 machine at Heathrow.

Comment

Dude, I didn't know there was still an Outrun 2 at Heathrow. What terminal was that in? There used to be one in T5 but the only 'arcade' I saw there when I was there the other week was just gambling.

Comment

Interesting news feature where a mum saw an old arcade machine where you ride a horse and shoot Indians and complained.
                                It's clearly ancient and from a time when "Cowboys and Indians" hadn't been reassessed, but I can't help but feel that this is written in the style of "Lefty snowflake ruins everyone's holiday!"

"A seaside 'cowboys and Indians' shooting game has been removed from an arcade after a mum complained it was racist.

Emily Crossing, 30, wrote to bosses at the Grand Pier at Weston-super-Mare in Somerset following a family visit.
                                She spotted the game which featured a saloon with a cowboy on the backdrop, and a gun for shooting moving Native American figures while the player sat on a horse.

The adult social care worker from Oxford wrote to pier bosses and told them she thought it was "extremely racist" and "outdated".

Emails appear to show bosses replying to say it was a "legacy piece" - and then later saying that nobody else had complained, and it was up to parents to police use.
                                However, when approached for comment earlier this week, a spokesperson said the game had been removed.

Emily, from Oxford, said: "It's clearly racist. It's absolutely shocking.
                                "Mum and I both just had our mouths open when we first saw it - we were in absolute shock.
                                "The figures of indigenous Americans were in full-on headdresses and there are little 'cowboys' everywhere.
                                "I can't believe the managers have no idea about cultural appropriation."

Emily says she first emailed the company on May 29 after a visit earlier that month.
                                She claims then then contacted the Grand Pier again over a month later, as she hadn't heard back.
                                She says she then received a reply, which she says claimed the game was a legacy piece the company inherited when they bought the pier.

Emily then posted on Instagram where she says she received messages of support.

And she said: "This is 2022 - that game is racist whether you chose to play it or not. It's outdated and extremely shocking."

As of July 12, the game was still available on the pier."

Comment

Working...
                                X