Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
    Arcade Club Bury reopened yesterday. They've moved things around a bit, painted the staircase in a nice black/neon scheme and best of all added lots of new games! The retro floor has things like Bionic Commando, Gradius II, R-Type II, UN Squadron, Pang. On floor 2 they've moved the PCs into a sideroom and added loads of candy cabs like Batsugun, RSG, Salamnder 2, DDP Daikfukkatsu, Mushi Futari, Battle Garegga.

Definitely lots to appeal to anyone like me who just wants a joystick and some buttons!

As for the Covid factor, lots of sanitiser around, temp checks on arrival, machines cleaned throughout the evening and quite a large number of people wearing masks (and some of those I saw without may have just taken them off to have a drink).
    Good to know, I booked myself in for a slot tomorrow and can't wait.

Comment

I'm sure this is a highly unpopular opinion, but has anyone found Arcadeclub totally overwhelming? My initial, 'wow', was soon met with a headache and melting in sweat from both the heat and the sheer volume of things there. I found it comparable to having previously owned hundreds of videogames and ending up playing none of them. I'd like to think I'd go back, but I could only manage about 3 hours tops the first and only time I've been.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
        I'm sure this is a highly unpopular opinion, but has anyone found Arcadeclub totally overwhelming? My initial, 'wow', was soon met with a headache and melting in sweat from both the heat and the sheer volume of things there. I found it comparable to having previously owned hundreds of videogames and ending up playing none of them. I'd like to think I'd go back, but I could only manage about 3 hours tops the first and only time I've been.
        It was definitely a bit overwhelming the first time I went, just because I wanted to try everything. I ended up playing a lot of games for very short periods of times. Now that I've been more, I gravitate towards my favourite games and put most of my time into them.

Three hours would work out well tbh, they can only let so many people in at once so you book a 4 hour slot in advance, leave and the next lot of people come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          They are unbearable in the peak of summer one time i was at the Leeds one and it was like 30' outside and after a few hours it was over 100' inside to be fair they tried their best in the leeds one with a lot of fans but the place has no proper aircon on the lower floor and it's only moving warm air around and added in the iwth crowds and noise it does become very overwhelming it totally taxes my body when i go on a hot day. The top floor where the VR is does have aircon though so i usually retreat up there till i stop dying of the heat then go back down to the lower floors. The drinks were selling so fast that they were having to sell room temp cans as they were not in the fridges long enough to cool down as people kept draining them.

At the moment i think it's still far too risky to visit, i look after my only remaining parent as i'm the primary carer and she is over 70 there's no way i'm risking bringing anything home just so i can go play arcades. Hope they can survive in this pandemic world but for me it's just too risky.

Comment

Comment

Bandai Namco Holdings Inc. says it will withdraw from its arcade game business in North America due to numerous closures of amusement facilities in the wake of the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Namco is withdrawing as an arcade operator in North America

Comment

Current circumstances don't seem to have stifled a few quite exciting arcade projects in London. I know a few folks who have been helping these along and have been spreading the word, and given most updates are currently coming via social media, please excuse the tweet-heavy post.

Chief Coffee is... a coffee shop in Turnham Green. Prior to lockdown they had a lovely little run of pinball tables and a pair of Vewlix cabs, but they've also been working on something a bit bigger.

Intended games list is here.

Freeplay City doesn't have a website (or coffee), but is in a North London venue that's loading up with lots of games, and prior to lockdown had already been doing some great work at getting community events and tournaments on the go.

The list of prospective games is here - which has a lovely blend of pretty much everything I'd be wanting to visit a place for!

Not to put too much of a downer on it, but now if only we could actually go to them safely.

Comment

Love the look of both of those. Honestly, the London arcade scene has improved immeasurably in the last few years. It's really quite remarkable. We've gone from 'Arcades are completely dead', with the only opportunities for a coin op action usually a quid-a-go on a Cabela Big Game Hunter in a Welcome Break, to a range of places offering retro as well as new Japanese machines.

Hadn't heard about the ones above at all, but excited to check them out once restrictions lift. I'm also keen to get back into my local, The Four Quarters, which is a very decent little barcade with retro machines downstairs and retro consoles up top

Interesting to see that Toby is behind Freeplay City. He did such a cracking job with Las Vegas.

Comment

Never did make it to Freeplay City... Need to get some Third Strike going!

Comment

Ooooooh ongeki wacca and chunithm i didn't think any of those had made it to the uk i don't even think arcade club have those yet although i havent been to the mancs one in over a year so they maybe did get them but certainly not the leeds one so far. Ongeki will be interesting to see how it works as i'm pretty sure you need cards to play as your characters are in trading card form and you slot them into the spaces before you play. Don't know if the machine spits the cards out or you have to buy them like e-amuse type passes at the arcades, only ever seen it been played on youtube.

Love playing nostalgia, found out i'm really good at that one. Started on hard mode right away and ended up blazing through the songs even the really hard ones, weirdly though i'm not good at playing a real piano but in arcade form i seem to be like some savant

For anyone who hasn't seen how amazing wacca is here's it running
                      Last edited by importaku; 24-03-2021, 17:52.

Comment

This story's quite interesting - still very speculative for now, but potentially quite exciting

Comment

This is what should be done with all the empty debenhams.

Comment

Oh wow, that would be cool. The Trocadero is currently empty I believe...

Comment

All the plans and stories about capsule hotels and god knows what have come to nothing and it’s stood there empty all that time. Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                                This story's quite interesting - still very speculative for now, but potentially quite exciting

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...the-uk-and-us/
                                Bring. It. On!!!

And some well ventilated restaurants nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                X