No announcement yet.

Arcades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fogot to put these up. We went to Exmouth for a couple of days and it had a ok SEGA Active Zone

Comment

How does the new Daytona play? Is it a hi res remake? How's the handling?

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
        I also don't understand todays kids, the 3rd floor had 10 or so powerful pc's for use, 6 of them in use just watching youtube... at least 3 of them of various minecraft letsplays, the other 4 playing rollbox and fortnite.
        It makes me feel 100 years old but I just don't get this at all. Imagine being a kid in an arcade full of freeplay machines...and choosing to watch YouTube just like you could at home.

It's a shame to hear in here from a few people about maintenance issues at both Arcade Club locations. My local is a barcade called the Four Quarters - it's nothing on the scale of the 'Clubs, just a small bar with a small selection of classic machines and some retro consoles upstairs - but they've had similar problems at times.

Honestly I can imagine it's an uphill struggle to keep older cabs serviced and working properly, stuff must break on them all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
          Went the Bury arcade club for the first time since the 3rd floor opened, seems like i'm going to moan abit but i did enjoy myself, so that aside.... the mario kart 2 player setups all across one side of the room seems a real waste of real estate, and the middle circle of xbones for kids to silently play fortnite and minecraft on... please just go do it at home. Daytona 2 dual cab game was just to small for me to enjoy, anyone 6foot+ will have trouble getting into it, and the right cab won't slide back.

MGS online was fun for 10 minutes shooting targets or bots using the various novelties of a P90 lightgun with duck/reload and movement on it for the none trigger hand, a mic and 3d glasses which worked well, but without 7 other cabs for multiplayer it's really limited.

The physical stuff with the sonic branded air hockey and the basketball hoops all worked well and surprisingly most of the pinball machines worked.

Other floors much the same, since i last went they've added some sort of sega made music game where you hit buttons set up in a circles around the screen, decent game but i couldn't hear the songs, about 2 or 3 new touch screen music games that all looked the same to me, also added a really cool light projection arcade to simulate clay pigeon shooting complete with a heavy ass shotgun, had a hoot playing that. Sadly the right cab for Taiko Drum was busted, SW arcade stick felt off, like it had been ragged on by some drunk chavs, Chase HQ wheel had to be turned 2 or 3 times to register it had and super hang on had a knackered monitor which was a really bummer, love playing that game when i'm there.

Most fun was on the 4 player Bishi Bashi (as normal for the mates i go with) and a new surprise in the 4 player pac-man game which is awesome.

I also don't understand todays kids, the 3rd floor had 10 or so powerful pc's for use, 6 of them in use just watching youtube... at least 3 of them of various minecraft letsplays, the other 4 playing rollbox and fortnite.
          I wonder if part of the reason I've had less bad experiences with damaged machines is that I usually go on a Thursday/Friday evening when they've only just opened for the week. I can imagine things take a bit of a beating when they're open all day across the weekend (altough the steering wheel on Chase HQ has always been odd!).

Agreed that the new floor isn't up to much yet, but I'm hopeful that over time they'll add to it. When they first opened Floor 2 it was mostly consoles and PCs as well, but over time it evolved. I would definitely like more of a focus on the retro though. They'll mention games on social media that they have in storage which would be great to play.

I do think it's fair to emphise to anyone who hasn't been that they have a massive collection of games and the majority are in great condition. Ten years ago if someone told me there would be an arcade like this I would've been blown away. I guess now I take it for granted a bit and so it's easier to find fault.

Comment

I have no problem with the yoof gawking at YouTube in the arcade as it means less of them hogging the machines.

Comment

I forgot to say I went to Namco Funscape in Tamworth a few weeks back.
              It's bowling, food, softplay, minigolf and arcades.
              Everything is Pac-Man related, which I loved. The restaurant is called Clyde's as in one of ghosts and the softplay has massive Pac-Man figures.

Arcades were pretty naff but as I kept an eye on my daughter, I saw a Ghostbusters machine. You sat down and fired your proton packs at ghost and it actually fired ping pong balls at the screen.

I don't know if someone had walked away, but it was actually working, so I abandoned my child and started playing it (not really, she pretend to play on the other seat).

I got all the way through to the Stay Puft bonus and managed to win! Cue me standing around whilst the machine pumped out a whopping 500 tickets!
              The kids got a prize each! Amazing!

Comment

Oh yeah, I also meant to say that a barcade has just opened up near me called "NQ64".

It's in The Custard Factory, which is turning into an amazing place to visit. Digbeth Dining Club (street food), Chance & Counters (see the boardgames thread!), Mockingbird Cinema, Ghetto Golf, The Floodgate (curling, table golf, baseball cages), Dropshot (ping pong), Roxy Ballroom (shuffleboard, bowling, pool) and loads of bars.

Anyway, NQ64 looks mint and can't wait to visit!

What games can you spot?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Oh yeah, I also meant to say that a barcade has just opened up near me called "NQ64".

It's in The Custard Factory, which is turning into an amazing place to visit. Digbeth Dining Club (street food), Chance & Counters (see the boardgames thread!), Mockingbird Cinema, Ghetto Golf, The Floodgate (curling, table golf, baseball cages), Dropshot (ping pong), Roxy Ballroom (shuffleboard, bowling, pool) and loads of bars.

Anyway, NQ64 looks mint and can't wait to visit!

What games can you spot?!
                  They have these in Manchester and Liverpool. It's no Arcade Club, but they have a nice selection of games for a smaller place. The good thing about the Manchester one is that it's right in the city centre (Northern Quarter, hence the "NQ"), so easy to pop in on a night out. It's great seeing so many arcades appearing. Hopefully they prove popular enough that it will continue!

Comment

Spent the evening at Bury Arcade Club for the first time in ages. They have a monthly pass now and sell the e-Amusementcards (sold out with more coming in stock over the coming week though). I was in rhythm game heaven (click for larger images).

Last edited by Cepp; 01-03-2020, 00:11.

Comment

Thanks for all those great pictures!

Comment

Definitely going to utilise the HS2 to visit Bury one of these days...

Comment

I see the Cannon Ballers marquee, but did you catch what version that IIDX cabinet is actually running? I know among *cough* certain circles *cough* the rule is current -1. Great pics btw, really should make it out to the Bury site some time.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            I see the Cannon Ballers marquee, but did you catch what version that IIDX cabinet is actually running? I know among *cough* certain circles *cough* the rule is current -1. Great pics btw, really should make it out to the Bury site some time.
                            It reminded me I need to go more often. Seeing Beatmania there was great since I'm looking into getting a home controller; I did pretty well on it. I didn't take notice of the version but I'll have a look next time.

I really wanted to play the Atari Star Wars game again but there was always someone on it. Next time I'll get a go.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              I remembered i checked the last time i was in Bury but that's been well over a year ago and it was running sinobuz despite the cab hinting it might be cannon ballers, no idea if they have upgraded the hd to make it match the cabinet.

Comment

Arcade Club Bury reopened yesterday. They've moved things around a bit, painted the staircase in a nice black/neon scheme and best of all added lots of new games! The retro floor has things like Bionic Commando, Gradius II, R-Type II, UN Squadron, Pang. On floor 2 they've moved the PCs into a sideroom and added loads of candy cabs like Batsugun, RSG, Salamnder 2, DDP Daikfukkatsu, Mushi Futari, Battle Garegga.

Definitely lots to appeal to anyone like me who just wants a joystick and some buttons!

As for the Covid factor, lots of sanitiser around, temp checks on arrival, machines cleaned throughout the evening and quite a large number of people wearing masks (and some of those I saw without may have just taken them off to have a drink).

Comment

Working...
                                X