No announcement yet.

N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's not a lot to look forward to with Turok 2, more of the same with moderately better graphics... The cerebral bore wears off pretty quickly, I preferred decapitation with a shotty and explosive shells tbh. It does get boring after a while and the Primagen's spaceship level is more repetitive than The Library from Halo, but I think you've got another 2 years to wait for this...

I never owned the game myself and either played it at a friends or borrowed it off him occasionally, it's that type of game, worth a rent but not a buy. Anyway, the day he got it I went round his house and we decided to have a smoke before we played (as 14-15 yr olds do...) only we had no 'materials' so went rummaging in his older sisters room looking for said 'materials' only to come across a monstrous, light blue, plastic cock...

The search was abandoned and we started to play Turok 2 only to have this light blue alien talk to us. I said to him "Adon looks like your sisters dildo" and I've never laughed so hard in my entire life.

Suppose you had to be there.... Anyway....

After Duke Nukem 64 the release line up Iooks kinda thin for a while. Extreme-G was one of the first games I owned and I really loved it, I dont think anything gave the same sense of speed until F-Zero X arrived...

Comment

Extreme G went too far with the speed as far as I was concerned. It's like Wipeout, but on a bike you don't have the same maneuverability. My favourite racer in terms of speed is probably Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, which was also the first N64 game I played because my brother got it with his system. I played F Zero recently though which was good (although I could never get past that track with the stupid jump in it), so I'm looking forward to F-Zero X (I hope I don't like it too much though or I'll end up forking out for a 64DD for the track editor).

Comment

I really like Extreme-G and didn't have the same problems that others had. Ep 1 Racer was again a game I have good memories of but I couldn't stand Jake Lloyd's voice so I played as anyone but him...

The magazine adverts were catchy and read something like "Ever imagined strapping two 747 engines to a seat..." I thought it was cool anyway...

F-Zero X is my favourite of the entire series, the speed, the colours, the future, the music... My god the music is mind blowing heavy metal instrumentals... You should check out some of the covers of 'Big Blue' on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
          Anyway, I finally finished Shadows of the Empire. The controls can be really terrible. Lack of strafing is something I cannot abide in 3D games.
          Finished Shadows of the Empire today (used a GameShark for infinite lives). You can strafe, but you need to change the controls in options, so that Z strafes left, and R strafes right. Then push up on the d-pad until it's in first person. You can control it like a really crappy Doom clone. Stick moves and steers, Z and R strafe, and aiming is automatic, but for finer tuning you can hook your pointy finger on the Right-C button to aim manually.

Still, the character walking sections are absolute rubbish. 3/10. Would have been very disappointed if I'd gotten that around launch. Rogue Squadron took the right route by making it all vehicles.

Clocked Wave Race too, which seemed easier than I ever remember it being. It's also still amazing to look at - lovely water physics.

Are we up to Mystical Ninja yet? Or am I time travelling again?

Comment

I'm still frozen in time because I just cannot get a TV here that will display PAL. I am also running out of the magazines that I brought with me, although I've found PDFs for many more, which would be an option I would accept grudgingly. I stand by what I said about Shadows of the Empire, though; I still think it could have been a good game if they'd based the whole thing around the jet pack (maybe even getting rid of the Star Wars licence). They'd still have to address the controls though. I remember him veering wildly to the left and right on jumping/landing. That level in the canyons was my worst nightmare. You are dead right though, I can't imagine the disappointment of getting this over pretty much any other game of the period (except maybe Turok).

Comment

When I fought Boba Fett, I actually thought - this would have been much cooler if you were Boba Fett doing crazy stuff.

There were glimmers of genius, for example after getting the jetpack, I decided to slowly drop down a hole, and then fly to an area I probably shouldn't have gone to, and in both cases there was a stash of goodies. Which was cool. Right after though it was back to slidy Doom segments. The problem was Dash had too much inertia when walking.

If you live in China, why don't you get a Sh?n Y?u Ji (神游机)

Comment

Lol, I used to see those a lot when I lived in China and used taobao (Chinese ebay), but now I'm in Taiwan where they mostly got all their stuff from the Japanese market. I did get some rare Japanese stuff from China though, including Nushi Tsuri 64 Shiokaze ni Notte, which I hadn't been able to find anywhere else. I've never seen an iQue player in person. It seems stupid. Trying to beat piracy in China is like trying to do, well, anything in China.

Comment

Did you ever get to the bottom of Mario Kart 64 recording trophies? I won the mushroom cup in 50cc and it didn't seem to record anything!

Comment

Yeah, it was just me being a half-wit. I can't remember exactly how now, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X