No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Especially when sometimes the cutscene is like 5 seconds. Ugh. Doesn't stop me liking the game, but still.

Comment

I havent played Dead Rising 2 yet but Case Zero had loading screens that lasted longer than most of the cut scenes in it.

Comment

That's the thing with multiplatform games, never optimised to the individual hardware to any great extent. Some of the frame rates in it are god awful too, just literally above what you'd deem unacceptable.

No doubt once I've rinsed it 3 times they'll produce a patch which speeds up loading times and improves framerates. Just like they did with fallout3 once I'd completely rinsed it, adding trophy support etc

Comment

Achievements / trophies : a curse of modern gaming

Static backdrops: read laziness

3rd person action games that require you to use thumbsticks like they are d-pads

3rd person action games

Any game that says "lock and load" or "hoorah"

Unskippable cutscenes and or being required to talk to people and read stupid text

Unlockables that force you to finish game before you use them. Ninja Gaiden for example. I really want to play the Ninja Gaiden Nes trilogy locked away on the disc but there's no way I'm sitting through that train wreck of a game to get them.

I'm sure there are many more annoyances, I'm tough to please these days.

Comment

Arbitrary lack of game saving.

Midnight Club: LA is one of my favourite games of this generation, and I think it's been really under-appreciated, but it tried to introduce this element of negative consequences.

It eliminated the save-game, made actively by the player, and simply auto-saved your progress at any significant point (when you won or lost a race, upgraded your car or got caught by the cops). The intent was to enforce the negative consequence that you could lose your hard-earned sportscar if you lost a pink-slips race, and have to go through all the effort of re-earning those bonuses and upgrades again.

The problem with this is that any bright 13 year old can see that you merely need to exit the game, piss around in the PS3 console and backup the game data to a memory card to save yourself a restore point with your favourite car.

You do this before entering a pink-slips race, and then you can always restore the game again to that save point if you lose the race.

Suddenly, these consequences look terribly contrived - the possibility to save the game at arbitrary points has not been lost, but it's been made extremely inconvenient, and the player gets extremely pissed off by the delay of having to exit the game, copy from flash card and then reload the game from scratch again, every time he loses a race.

This concept might work well in the context of a sealed game game cartridge with a single memory slot, but it doesn't on more modern systems. Likewise it might have been acceptable in a game like GTA IV, in which you only lose some money and your weapons (which you can run around and collect again) when you get killed or arrested, but once the stakes are as high as customised Italian sportcar which the player has achieved as a reward for many races, completed over several days, it's ridiculous to think that the player won't use a workaround like this to overcome the penalties. Especially considering Midnight Club: LA is so difficult.

Comment

Oooh Strolls post reminded me.

Games that don't let you back up your save. I'm specifically looking at you Demon's Souls.

Comment

- Lack of proper custom match searching in online games, I ****ing hate Execution in GoW2 but it's in the same playlist as Warzone and guess what people vote for 9 times out of 10 . Gears 1 worked fine in this regard, there was no need for this change.

- Levelling up in online games giving unfair advantages to players just because they've played the game more than you. In particular Modern Warfare 2 here - the lopsided unlocks as you ranked up were complete BS. I'm playing an online shooter, not an RPG.

- Japanese RPGs that make you press a button every sentence in order to load the next one and/or display the text at a reasonably readable rate. Just plonk a load of text on screen and let me get on with it rather than making it pause every other second and breaking up the reading flow.

- Console RTS games that use PC style controls. And no, making the menus circular rather than a list based doesn't cut it. Endwar and Stormrise showed what can be done when tailoring to the console in this regard.

Comment

Forced stealth sections in a non-stealth based game i.e. Zelda

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
                    Oooh Strolls post reminded me.

Games that don't let you back up your save. I'm specifically looking at you Demon's Souls.
                    It'll work as a part of the full backup won't it? Not what you wanted I know, but a safeguard at least.

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
                    - Japanese RPGs that make you press a button every sentence in order to load the next one and/or display the text at a reasonably readable rate. Just plonk a load of text on screen and let me get on with it rather than making it pause every other second and breaking up the reading flow.
                    Yakuza 3 is TERRIBLE for unnecessary button presses also!

Comment

Can't you just eject the disc to stop a game autosaving if you don't want to lose stuff?

Comment

Menu's where you can't tell which option you are choosing.

Comment

Yeah, thats just bad interface design, catches me out often, why not have a little arrow or something next to the currently selected option.

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
                            Forced stealth sections in a non-stealth based game i.e. Zelda
                            Ah, the very thing that almost stopped me playing Fahrenheit back on the PS2.

Anyway, my irk: games that start with developer splash screens and logos that cannot be skipped.

Comment

Having my unbelievably powerful character in pretty much any open ended/sandbox game beaten by a 3' fence or a pile of rubble to get to another area...................WHAT

Comment

Being bombarded with one too many cutscenes.

Comment

Working...
                                X