Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
    it looked promising but it can burn for all i care they need to learn that making a £45 retail game look feel and have the progress of a FTP mobile game is great way to get your game sent straight to review hell.
    Deservedly, hope it burns bright.

But also, it's a weird game. Isn't it Switch-only? I don't get how that came about. The Switch already has Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing and Team Sonic Racing, as well as several on the eShop. I don't know what they were expecting to achieve. Had it been free-to-play that might've made more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      its been getting an absolute kicking for it online so much so the devs are in full back pedal mode, throwing free currency at an angry player base and promising to do better

UPDATE 18/3/22: Following Square Enix's previous acknowledgment of the failures found in Chocobo GP, a new statement ha…

it looked promising but it can burn for all i care they need to learn that making a £45 retail game look feel and have the progress of a FTP mobile game is great way to get your game sent straight to review hell.

Ready. Set. Chocobo! Start your engines and get set for a new racing experience, featuring a roster of dozens of your favorite Chocobo characters, complete with their own unique abilities and variants. Equip Magicites and take out the competition as you drift through various familiar courses in online and offline multiplayer modes. Compete in tournaments and become the reigning champion of GP!

a 6 purely based of how greedy they are being and a 2 on the user score Ouch
      I knew something was up when they didn't show anything between that Nintendo Direct and release. I didn't think they'd go this far though.

Too little too late now I imagine. The damage is done.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Deservedly, hope it burns bright.

But also, it's a weird game. Isn't it Switch-only? I don't get how that came about. The Switch already has Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing and Team Sonic Racing, as well as several on the eShop. I don't know what they were expecting to achieve. Had it been free-to-play that might've made more sense.
      I'm often baffled by Square-Enix decisions tbh. I think they just got greedy with this.
      Last edited by Cepp; 21-03-2022, 20:29.

Comment

CEX's insistence on appeasing the 11 year old boys who must work in Head Office in constantly referring to its own name as 'sex'
        A deeply miserable attempt at getting attention

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          CEX's insistence on appeasing the 11 year old boys who must work in Head Office in constantly referring to its own name as 'sex'
          A deeply miserable attempt at getting attention
          I always read it as C.E.X. Like individual letters.
          When I saw the TV ad, I was like what? It's Sex??

Comment

Everyone I know pronounces it CX, didn't know the official wording was sex lol.

I'm still waiting for the day a third party Wavebird controller hits the scene. Surely there's enough demand for this?

Comment

I still call CeX Computer Exchange.

Comment

It's really bothering me atm that Blood & Truth isn't on PC. So good...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  It's really bothering me atm that Blood & Truth isn't on PC. So good...
                  Yeah; it's a shame - both for Blood & Truth and Wipeout VR. They're two of the best VR experiences.

My irk today is how so many Switch games aggressively prompt you to get Switch Online if you don't have it. Like presently Streets of Rage 4 prompts me after every level with this system-level popup that takes a few moments to connect and I have to dismiss. I think it's trying to send data to a leaderboard.

PS4 games do this too. Every time I load up certain games I get this weird system-level popup trying to encourage me to get PSN where "helpfully" the default highlighted option is to take you to the store to subscribe.

Comment

This is one of the slight irks around using the GPD Win 3, I'm not sure how Deck goes around it either to be honest. When you're out and about there's typically no wi-fi connection or at least one you have access to so you need Steam to be in offline mode. But games won't launch unless you've already launched them in online mode first once. It means when you install a game you have to specifically be at home and go through a needless ritual in order to play on the go.

Comment

My irk of the moment is that I remembered how - a few console generations ago - they managed to let you install music to your hard drive which could then be properly integrated into games you were playing. For example, in a racing game you could play your custom choice of music and it would play during races, but stop when you quit. It fitted properly into the game rather than just playing music over all gameplay like you've just left the stereo on.

I have fond memories of playing Burnout 3 on the original Xbox having replaced the utterly dire "EA Trax" stuff with a selection of superior racing game music. It felt like I'd made a custom Director's Cut of the game where I didn't have to listen to bad songs.

This feature, as far as I can see, no longer exists. Replaced by the ability to turn off music and play streaming music services over the whole lot. That's not what I want. I know it can be done. Bring it back.

Comment

^^^ yep. I generalise the irk to the amount of control the platform holders have, and exert, on consoles. You cannot buy this anymore, you cannot download this anymore.

Comment

The PS3 was the peak of ownership control. It plays anything that comes on disk, let's you install music. Plays almost any format from a USB stick, be it music, movies or photos. Hell it once even let you install Linux!

Comment

I blame the Share Button. Too much copyright fright

Comment

On that "note", Beat Hazard on the 360. Upload your own banging drum and bass. It makes an amazing Twin Stick shooter experience out of it.

Comment

Modern gaming is a big irk at time, Power ranges battle for the grid was on special offer and there is like three different versions so i figured the most expensive version must be the complete version....nope there were three or four characters that were extra.....I dunno it just all seemed as confusing as hell when you see a big list of dlc and having to chase up what you are actually getting

Comment

Working...
                                X